Becoming Mrs Argos

What stared out as a family sailing adventure around Australia has changed somewhat! Now its mum and the kids (now aged 17 and almost 15) working it out for themselves while cruising the Queensland coast!

24 November 2016
19 August 2016
03 August 2016
21 June 2016
25 April 2016
09 February 2016
07 December 2015
25 August 2015 | South Stradbroke Island
10 August 2015
06 July 2015
04 May 2015
24 April 2015
11 April 2015 | Southport
01 April 2015 | Southport

The Rain!

01 March 2012 | Batemans Bay
Sue Watt
It has been raining for some days now and earlier today, when we were off the boat and In town having coffee with some friends, we were asked if we were going crazy.
It is certainly quite interesting being on the boat for extended periods without being able to get off. We have had this experience a few times now - in Rivoli Bay SA when the wind meant that it wasn't safe for us to be out in our inflatable dinghy heading across the bay to the land, and a few times when we were in Refuge Cove at Wilsons Prom, waiting for horrible weather to clear so we could leave. We have handled these situations quite well. No one has died yet, or really even come close to it - we have developed a few strategies to ensure this is the case!
We play lots of games - especially games we don't play all the time - even monopoly gets an airing! We cook together - often making things we don't usually have time or the inclination to make - like pancakes for breakfast or lunch, pikelets for afternoon tea, cakes, slices - things that make it feel like the reason you have to stay on the boat has a silver lining!
We make sure we are not all on top of each other all the time - this often means suggesting people read quietly in their rooms or similar things. And if we have power we watch movies - which we never normally have time to do.

So we manage quite well - and if it is possible to get to land at all - even if it is raining - we go - we walk, we have coffee, we browse shops, we enjoy some time on land.
Sure there are times when the stress of all being huddled in one small space kicks in, but I have found that if you are smart you can see it start and you can address it - do something fun, get out if you can, whatever.

The last few days here we have essentially been on board almost 24/7. The rain has been so persistent. Yesterday it was also very windy for a while in the afternoon and early evening - with wind gusts up to 25 knots. It wasn't at all pleasant! Today we decided to get on shore for a while - have coffee or something. Sometimes, because he doesn't feel this as much as the children and I do, Peter is in a hurry to get back to the boat so today we ditched him and did our own thing. Initially we were going off in the dinghy on our own - with the outboard this time so no worries about being stranded like the other day! But just at the last minute Peter heard someone yelling out to him and realised his cousin was on shore trying to get his attention. So we all headed off in the dinghy.
The children and I headed to the shops and then the little café we have been enjoying here - called The Olive Tree - where the coffee is great - and then finally to the supermarket before coming back to the boat, leaving Peter chatting with his cousin. We had a lovely walk, browsing shops, and then our coffee and milkshakes, and then finally our groceries. Then, as we headed back, we realised that we didn't really know how we were going to get Peter's attention to let him know we were ready to come back to the boat -assuming that he had returned some time before us. Ah, the joys of marital communication!
As we crossed the road to the jetty, who should be waiting there but Peter! Yes, he had waited the whole time for us - as we leisurely browsed, drank coffee and shopped!
He had spent a few minutes with his cousin, and then sat and waited patiently for us - oh dear! His cousin had kindly brought some oysters for us - oysters he had collected himself from near the mouth of the Bega river. They were truly beautiful and as I am the only one here who eats them, well I was rather happy!

After returning to the boat (I think with a little relief for Peter that we'd finally appeared!) we have been blessed this afternoon with a period of time with no rain.
Maybe tomorrow we might even see a bit of sunshine again - wouldn't that be lovely!

Ps The photo is of Erina sitting at the top of the mast - after checking for chaffing on ropes - apparently its very nice up there!
Comments
Vessel Name: Argos
Vessel Make/Model: Gaff Rig Schooner designed by Jay Benford, built by Jack Stolp
Hailing Port: Albany WA
Crew: Sue Parry-Jones, Erina and Liam Jones and Capt'n Jack Sparrow!
About:
After starting out from Albany WA in July 2011, we have faced some big seas, tricky situations and serious storms. We have learned to sail and learned to love the life of the cruising sailor. [...]
Extra:
In the years since we started Erina and Liam have become fine sailors. Liam is a keen knot man and has created a plethora of decorative rope finishes on board, as well as being skillful at any knot-work required on deck. Erina is the the master of the galley and cooks up the most incredible meals [...]
Home Page: www.becomingmrsargos.weebly.com
Social:

Becoming Mrs Argos

Who: Sue Parry-Jones, Erina and Liam Jones and Capt'n Jack Sparrow!
Port: Albany WA