Becoming Mrs Argos

What stared out as a family sailing adventure around Australia has changed somewhat! Now its mum and the kids (now aged 17 and almost 15) working it out for themselves while cruising the Queensland coast!

24 November 2016
19 August 2016
03 August 2016
21 June 2016
25 April 2016
09 February 2016
07 December 2015
25 August 2015 | South Stradbroke Island
10 August 2015
06 July 2015
04 May 2015
24 April 2015
11 April 2015 | Southport
01 April 2015 | Southport

Rain!

24 April 2012 | Batemans Bay
Sue Watt
It's raining. Seems as if it is almost always raining these days - either the rain is developing or it's clearing. Hovering over us ready to reappear even if it disappears for a short time!
I'm kind of glad that we aren't trying to go somewhere - it would be so frustrating to be waiting, not just for a sunny day - as if that's what we needed to sail! - but for a weather pattern that would give us suitable wind.
Peter asked me the other day if we can still call ourselves 'sailors' if we are in port for a while. We laughed then - not so much at the question as at the feeling of waiting and wondering we are experiencing.
The thing is we'd love to be heading off, exploring more of the coastline, more places, more towns, meeting more people, having more fun, but right now we need to be here!
A significant job (ie one that pays proper money) that I applied for shortly after we arrived and that I heard nothing about for ages, has come back onto my horizon. This is a job that I have the skills to do, the desire to do and the experience to do well. Yesterday I had a meeting about it that lasted more than two hours and later in the week there will be more talk. The more talk there is the more interested I am and the stronger my sense becomes that this is what we've been waiting in Batemans Bay for!
Much as we'd like to keep going, we really need some dollars in the bank first and with this possibility appearing again we are hopeful that this might be the answer. Of course it will mean we will stay somewhat longer but there are so many advantages in this for us. We are loving the community we have already become part of, loving the relationships we have been developing. (The photo above is of a picnic we went to recently with old and some new friends made since arriving here!) We feel part of something here that helps us to feel that right now at least, this is where we are supposed to be. Plus the opportunity to spend time with our family is a delight I could write a whole blog about!
To manage our desire to continue sailing we will most likely head off for a weekend or two somewhere around about, possibly taking people with us who have expressed an interest in sailing, have some fun days both exploring as well as giving others a taste of what this amazing life is like.
I begin to understand that sailing is not just about when we are out there, it's something that was planted in our hearts that first day we set off for Newcastle and Lake Macquarie and began looking or a yacht to buy and learn to sail. We've come an extremely long way since then, that seed that was planted that day has been watered by the waves, nurtured by the wind and the elements and grown into something that will always be a part of us now.
Yes, I believe we became sailors!
Comments
Vessel Name: Argos
Vessel Make/Model: Gaff Rig Schooner designed by Jay Benford, built by Jack Stolp
Hailing Port: Albany WA
Crew: Sue Parry-Jones, Erina and Liam Jones and Capt'n Jack Sparrow!
About:
After starting out from Albany WA in July 2011, we have faced some big seas, tricky situations and serious storms. We have learned to sail and learned to love the life of the cruising sailor. [...]
Extra:
In the years since we started Erina and Liam have become fine sailors. Liam is a keen knot man and has created a plethora of decorative rope finishes on board, as well as being skillful at any knot-work required on deck. Erina is the the master of the galley and cooks up the most incredible meals [...]
Home Page: www.becomingmrsargos.weebly.com
Social:

Becoming Mrs Argos

Who: Sue Parry-Jones, Erina and Liam Jones and Capt'n Jack Sparrow!
Port: Albany WA