Becoming Mrs Argos

What stared out as a family sailing adventure around Australia has changed somewhat! Now its mum and the kids (now aged 17 and almost 15) working it out for themselves while cruising the Queensland coast!

24 November 2016
19 August 2016
03 August 2016
21 June 2016
25 April 2016
09 February 2016
07 December 2015
25 August 2015 | South Stradbroke Island
10 August 2015
06 July 2015
04 May 2015
24 April 2015
11 April 2015 | Southport
01 April 2015 | Southport

He Is Off!

04 December 2012 | Batemans Bay
Sue Watt
Just over two weeks ago I untied the last rope and waved as Peter set off for a sailing adventure without me.

Our lovely friend Mark from Southern Ocean Sailing had been looking at a boat a local Albany man was interested in buying, at Yamba on the northern NSW coast. The boat - a former Cray fishing boat refitted as a motor sailor - had belonged to the fellow at some former time and here it was for sale again. Mark checked it all out and advised the fellow that it was a good buy and then was contracted to sail the boat back from Yamba to Albany.

Initially we were excited about the prospect of a visit - and of the opportunity to share all of the many stories told in part over the phone since we had parted from Mark on that slightly scary but thrilling morning we finally untied our ropes at the Albany Waterfront Marina and set off ready for whatever would come our way as we began this cruising life.
Then Mark put out a call for crew - anyone interested in sailing with him - to which Peter happily put up his hand. Early the next Friday morning I watched as he boarded the bus heading for Sydney where he would join Mark on the Sydney to Batemans Bay leg and beyond that as far as Eden or somewhere nearby.

It was a happy sight to see the mast round the corner and pull in to the marina a few days later and Liam and Erina and I were ready to catch ropes and help them tie up, cheering and waving delightedly all the while. Peter was home and Mark had come to visit!

A day or two later and they were off again and the decision made that Peter should sail as far as Robe with them and from there return home via bus or train.

For Peter the next few days were a little unpleasant as, after rounding the southernmost tip of the mainland, near Wilsons Prom, they slammed into big messy seas and he became sea-sick. What a different experience for him from when we travelled this journey - no more day sails and week long stops - it was go go go all the way, day and night, until they pulled into Robe harbour - believe or not - exactly one year to the day when we had arrived there ourselves on Argos!

Mark, having business in Albany then flew back, leaving the boat in Robe for a week, ready to return and complete the journey a little later.

Going back this way has resulted in Peter gaining many more hours of sea-time and valuable experience which will be very useful for him - and me too - in the future when we hope that this will mean he too can generate some income from delivering boats.

After a successful few days it was then decided that if the house Peter is going to build down here is not about to start, that Peter would go back with Mark when he returns and sail with him back across the Bight and into Albany before flying back home.

I can't say that we are glad to see him go - though we managed fine without him - addressing several small issues in his absence, keeping the boat afloat and all systems functioning fairly well - but we are all thrilled that he has this opportunity. It meets that longing in him to be sailing - that beckoning of the horizon, that itching he has felt to be on our way - and when he returns and has the house to get started on I feel that he will be more able to do it knowing that he has had this time.

Meanwhile Erina, Liam and I soldier on!

We expect him back shortly before Christmas, which we will be spending in Canberra. And while we are hanging stockings and switching on fairy lights suspended from the masts, and getting excited about all the delights of Christmas time he will be revisiting all the places we went to - Port Lincoln, our friends Kerren and Daryl at Coffin Bay and of course arriving back in Albany where it all began!

There is a little jealousy for me - wishing I could go too - who would have thought that I would ever feel like I was missing out on crossing the Bight again!

Comments
Vessel Name: Argos
Vessel Make/Model: Gaff Rig Schooner designed by Jay Benford, built by Jack Stolp
Hailing Port: Albany WA
Crew: Sue Parry-Jones, Erina and Liam Jones and Capt'n Jack Sparrow!
About:
After starting out from Albany WA in July 2011, we have faced some big seas, tricky situations and serious storms. We have learned to sail and learned to love the life of the cruising sailor. [...]
Extra:
In the years since we started Erina and Liam have become fine sailors. Liam is a keen knot man and has created a plethora of decorative rope finishes on board, as well as being skillful at any knot-work required on deck. Erina is the the master of the galley and cooks up the most incredible meals [...]
Home Page: www.becomingmrsargos.weebly.com
Social:

Becoming Mrs Argos

Who: Sue Parry-Jones, Erina and Liam Jones and Capt'n Jack Sparrow!
Port: Albany WA