Bella

20 October 2011
15 October 2011
14 October 2011
14 October 2011
10 October 2011
10 October 2011
10 October 2011
09 October 2011 | Leos Isl
07 October 2011 | Dirk Hartog Isl
07 October 2011 | Shark Bay
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
18 September 2011
16 September 2011 | Broome

Cooktown (Far North Qld - FNQ!)

09 July 2011
With the wind forecast to increase the next day we decided to head for Cooktown which will be our last opportunity to stock up until we pass Cape York and make for Gove (Nhulunby) in the NT. After the mandatory laundry stop we headed for IGA so now Bella is full to the rim and every inch of space occupied with stores. It just so happens that the Endeavour Replica was also visiting Cooktown on it's circumnavigation at the same time so we enjoyed the whole Captain Cook re-enactment minus the dry-docking and repairing the ship part. You get a sense of Captain Cook's frustrations when sailing through these neck of the woods with names like Weary Bay, Cape Tribulation, Hope Islets to name but a few. An invaluable history lesson for the kids! This was followed up by a visit to the James Cook Historical Museum the next day and a tour of the Botanical Gardens. However the 3hr hike through semi-tropical bush from the gardens that led us to the Light House was maybe a little ambitious, especially with a back pack loaded with limes purchased from the markets and a wounded dog in arms - not to mention a four year old having a series of diabetic hypos enroute. By the time we pushed through mud and climbed rock to finally reach the lighthouse the kids were no longer absorbing the educational context but purely exhausted - and so were we. We really should have taken a lesson from our previous hiking efforts that went slightly astray at Magnetic Island.
Comments
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour
Hailing Port: Mandurah
Crew: Chris, Heidi, Kieran, Drina, Max and Tinka
About: We have taken 6 months off of work and school to sail our new boat 'Bella" from Brisbane, hopefully back to Mandurah, if not we will just enjoy what we see, weather dependent.

Who: Chris, Heidi, Kieran, Drina, Max and Tinka
Port: Mandurah