Bella

20 October 2011
15 October 2011
14 October 2011
14 October 2011
10 October 2011
10 October 2011
10 October 2011
09 October 2011 | Leos Isl
07 October 2011 | Dirk Hartog Isl
07 October 2011 | Shark Bay
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
18 September 2011
16 September 2011 | Broome

Crossing the Gulf

01 August 2011
We left Possession Island on Wed 27/7 at 4am with 12-15 knots, the further we got from Cape York, the more the confused sea got up, with not a lot of wind to keep the boat moving (again not in the forecast!), it made for a lumpy first day, the plots on the chart seemed to creep towards Gove, NT. Sunset saw us with a full main, genoa poled out to windward and staysail set. We rolled the staysail just after dark and I went below for a sleep. The sounds of surfing woke me up 2 hrs later, the wind had picked up to 25-30 knots, so we dropped the pole (not without some tangles – Oh for a decent foredecky!!!), rolled half the main and 1/3 of the genoa which settled the boat nicely. We did 2-2 ½ hr watches, kids slept in the cockpit to start with until we got a wave into the cockpit which sent them below in a hurry. The second day was better with winds (18-23 knots) but more confused sea. Swell from every direction and many with corners on them. Iron guts Drina seemingly oblivious to any motion and still singing to herself in the cockpit, meanwhile both Kieran and Heidi feeding the fish. Kieran offloading more than he was consuming but with such style it was impressive and Heidi for the first time in a long while. We settled into our watches throughout the day, catching up on sleep when we could. We didn’t see one boat, however we were buzzed twice by coastwatch which was very exciting – they really are cowboys in the sky. We nearly run over one large sea-snake that almost swam out of the water as we passed and a small pod of dolphins. We were hoping to arrive at night, get a decent night sleep before the kids got up, however the second night was spent sailing, our watch patterns working well. We arrived into Gove at about 8:30 in the morning Friday (52hrs later), after a couple of attempts to anchor in the muddy slime we finally got it to hold before our friends on Illusion arrived. Must have looked a sight with dogs racing on deck excited to be able to stretch their legs and kids just as excited and also on deck –meanwhile we too are on deck still trying to get the anchor to hold. The showers at the Gove Yacht Club felt awesome!! Im sure we smelt better for them as well! The mandatory laundry stop was next and arranging a hire vehicle for the weekend so we could get into Nhulunby the nearby town. There were slim pickings for vehicles so we ended up with an old Toyota dual-cab ute. Illusion wasn’t far behind and after they freshened up we all piled into the ute – dogs too- and headed into Nhulunby to get some fresh food for dinner, permit to purchase alcohol and collected mail. What an insight into a remote community! Kids eyes were popping out of their heads when they heard some local Aboriginals speaking their local tongue as we went through town.
Comments
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour
Hailing Port: Mandurah
Crew: Chris, Heidi, Kieran, Drina, Max and Tinka
About: We have taken 6 months off of work and school to sail our new boat 'Bella" from Brisbane, hopefully back to Mandurah, if not we will just enjoy what we see, weather dependent.

Who: Chris, Heidi, Kieran, Drina, Max and Tinka
Port: Mandurah