Bella

20 October 2011
15 October 2011
14 October 2011
14 October 2011
10 October 2011
10 October 2011
10 October 2011
09 October 2011 | Leos Isl
07 October 2011 | Dirk Hartog Isl
07 October 2011 | Shark Bay
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
18 September 2011
16 September 2011 | Broome

Hole in the Wall

05 August 2011
We left Elizabeth Bay the following morning, heading for the Hole in the Wall, or the Gugari Rip!! We first had to cross Malay Road and pass between Wigram and Cotton Islands. The South setting tide had us steering 30 degrees above where we were heading!! The overfalls and whirlpools were amazing!! The waters were quite stirred up and Kieran found his school work hard going and eventually threw up after maths. Anyway we passed through with a helping current, now for the Hole in the Wall!! This is a 50m wide, 1.6 mile long channel between Raragala Island and Guluwuru Island where the tidal race can reach 11 knots!! The idea is to start the west bound transit in the first hour of the ebb tide. We were a little nervous with this as we had got the tidal race wrong yesterday at Cape Wilberforce!! Slack tide is supposed to be 1 hour before Gove so we were aiming to be at the entrance at 11:45-12:00. It was hard to slow the boat down, we ended up with about half of the main so that we didn’t arrive at the wrong time with a counter current. We arrived right on time, the entrance not being evident until about ¼ of a mile away!! We had a very tranquil if anxious transit with a helping current of supposedly slack tide of up to 3.5 knots. When you look at the charts of this area and the volumes of water that get moved around, no wonder the currents are all over the place. In general the tide is supposed to flood West, but the Hole in the Wall Ebbs West so go figure!!! Half way through the rip, we saw some people on the shore who we later met at the anchorage just around the corner on Raragala Island. They are spending a few months around the Wessell Island group. We tried fishing in the afternoon but no luck, maybe because it is spring tides. Tomorrow Elcho Island.
Comments
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour
Hailing Port: Mandurah
Crew: Chris, Heidi, Kieran, Drina, Max and Tinka
About: We have taken 6 months off of work and school to sail our new boat 'Bella" from Brisbane, hopefully back to Mandurah, if not we will just enjoy what we see, weather dependent.

Who: Chris, Heidi, Kieran, Drina, Max and Tinka
Port: Mandurah