Bella

20 October 2011
15 October 2011
14 October 2011
14 October 2011
10 October 2011
10 October 2011
10 October 2011
09 October 2011 | Leos Isl
07 October 2011 | Dirk Hartog Isl
07 October 2011 | Shark Bay
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
18 September 2011
16 September 2011 | Broome

Galiwinku, Elcho Island

05 August 2011
Having learnt our lesson on tidal currents the previous day we left early on a flood tide with the current supposedly working south/west bound with us. What a magic sail with flat waters eased sheets and 15knots of breeze. Absolutely magic! Kieran was up at 5am and finished his school work by morning tea time and with the wind and water in our favour we had the pick down before midday and enjoying the surrounds of Galiwinku (an Aboriginal mission community). Once Illusion had caught up with us (hehehehheee – once a racer always a racer) we all went ashore to visit the Art and Crafts Centre that we had heard so much about. The walk through the local community was a real eye opener for the kids. On advice from the gentleman from the local Council we decided to leave the dogs onboard. On arrival we could understand why as dogs were everywhere and not particularly domesticated. Our dear little fluff balls would have ended up as a snack. The Art and Crafts Centre were very interesting with expensive canvases stacked against the walls and beautifully painted bark and wood crafts lined up on the floor. We couldn’t help to purchase a few to add to our travel collection at home. Kieran was keen to catch up with some local kids to kick the footy, but they were all in school apart from a few young kids that spoke the local language so the footy was carried the whole way and back again. We spotted a small section of beach on the other side of the bay so agreed to take the dogs for a walk there and enjoy our drinks ashore once again. Tomorrow we head for Cape Stewart approximately 50NM and hopefully with a helping current. We’re becoming obsessed with tide and currents!
Comments
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour
Hailing Port: Mandurah
Crew: Chris, Heidi, Kieran, Drina, Max and Tinka
About: We have taken 6 months off of work and school to sail our new boat 'Bella" from Brisbane, hopefully back to Mandurah, if not we will just enjoy what we see, weather dependent.

Who: Chris, Heidi, Kieran, Drina, Max and Tinka
Port: Mandurah