Bella

20 October 2011
15 October 2011
14 October 2011
14 October 2011
10 October 2011
10 October 2011
10 October 2011
09 October 2011 | Leos Isl
07 October 2011 | Dirk Hartog Isl
07 October 2011 | Shark Bay
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
18 September 2011
16 September 2011 | Broome

South Goulburn Island

12 August 2011
After a mostly refreshing nights sleep, apart from the massive barge the size of a truck ferry that woke the sleepy anchorage with flood lights and fog horns and which almost run as over at 2am, passing only a few yards away from our bow! Its always the unexpected that makes sailing an adventure. Monday we headed for South Goulburn Island aiming to benefit from the last of the ebb tide leaving Liverpool River and hoping to make the next ebb tide through the shoals of Cuthbert Point, then last through Macquarie Straight. Our back up plan if the wind and tide calculations were not in our favour was a shorter trip to Guion Point. However we finally managed to get the tides right and had a helping current for most of the way, but the wind gods were against us still and we found ourselves motor sailing until after lunch when our beautiful NE afternoon seabreeze kicked in and help us reach Goulburn Island on a beam reach. We reached the anchorage only just in time for us to then meet our next challenge which was to get out trusty fast set plough to hold anchor in the slime. By this stage Illusion was also making the anchorage and the sun was quickly setting over the horizon – fourth time lucky and we finally got the anchor to grab! The sunset was awesome, brilliant shades of orange and pink stretched right across the horizon. I think it is the fires from the burning off by the Aboriginal communities that makes the sunsets and sunrises so vivid. We ended up anchoring in the lee of the cliffs in South West Bay, brilliant ochre colours and whites of the cliffs, topped with tall trees made a 360 degree view for few quick sundowners.
Comments
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour
Hailing Port: Mandurah
Crew: Chris, Heidi, Kieran, Drina, Max and Tinka
About: We have taken 6 months off of work and school to sail our new boat 'Bella" from Brisbane, hopefully back to Mandurah, if not we will just enjoy what we see, weather dependent.

Who: Chris, Heidi, Kieran, Drina, Max and Tinka
Port: Mandurah