Bella

20 October 2011
15 October 2011
14 October 2011
14 October 2011
10 October 2011
10 October 2011
10 October 2011
09 October 2011 | Leos Isl
07 October 2011 | Dirk Hartog Isl
07 October 2011 | Shark Bay
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
18 September 2011
16 September 2011 | Broome

Darwin highlights

21 August 2011
Darwin at last. Here we enjoyed all the luxuries of civilisation and even hired a car together with Illusion so we could explore the surrounds of Darwin. Having a vehicle also allowed us to restock more easily in preparation for our next leg through the Kimberlies.

While in Darwin Drina celebrated her fifth birthday and opened all her gifts that were sent in the mail. She was really made to feel very special with all her gifts sent from family (thank you) and received a specially made necklace from Bruce. With Bruce and Dianne from Illusion we celebrated by having chocolate cup cakes and visiting firstly the water fun park (which to our disappointment we found to be closed on Tuesday!) then the wave pool. The wave pool was fantastic with the kids surfing the waves. It just felt really good to have a swim again and cool off. Later we all went to the hair dressers for a much needed grooming and Drina got a cut and braid to look like a princess, which she always enjoys. For dinner we were treated to a prawn salad which is again a favourite of Drina’s.

Other activities we enjoyed while in Darwin was the Mindil Beach Sunset Markets where there was plenty of native arts, crafts and wonderful array of Thai and Vietnamese foods. We also tried the Ski Club (twice) and found a tranquil restaurant setting on the lawn with overhanging gum trees and swimming pool which looked out over Fannie Bay as the sun was setting. We visited the Parap Markets and once again enjoyed the fragrant foods and picked up some lovely fresh produce to add to our supplies. The Crocodylus Park and Zoo was a highlight as we were finally able to actually see a crocodile and the kids soon realised why we have been so careful around the water. Both the wave pool and water fun park with slides were also great fun and a refreshing break. The Darwin Museum was an interesting insight to life in the far north. The Yacht Club was a good cheap meal and provided a nice atmosphere only a short stroll from our marina. A real treat for Chris and I was to have dinner alone! Thanks to Bruce and Dianne who willingly looked after the kids, dogs and boat so that Chris and I could enjoy each others company, which is something we rarely enjoy. It was so nice! Plus, the three dogs (our two and Widget from Illusion) also received another trim in preparation for our passage through the Kimberlies and down the west coast.

All preparations were made to leave Darwin after 7 days, but like always we were delayed once again with waiting on engine parts, memories of our 5 weeks being confined at Tin Can Bay came flooding back. Everything else was ready, boat stocked up, sails repaired, radio also repaired, sand and salt washed off (inside & out) but the timing cap which has been leaking oil since we left Tin Can Bay and that Chris has been stressing over was no where to be seen! So here we are once again in a marina with dogs and kids chaffing at the bit waiting on engine parts to repair the boat. How very frustrating!! But this time we are not alone and Illusion thankfully were prepared to bare our burden and wait along with us so that we can continue to cruise together (Just as well as I don’t want to be the one to tell Drina she could no longer play with her new friend Bruce who she has become so very fond of). So the decision was made to wait another few days until Monday and hope it arrives in the mail. Our experience with Australia Post during this trip has been not to depend on anything in a hurry with general mail taking up to 2 weeks. Our next main port of call is Broome which is another 600NM away where it will be very difficult to get a mechanic out on the boat in the anchorage as the tides are 6-8m. After Broome the distances only get further and the ports further still until closer to Perth and home, almost 2,000NM away. I really hope this part arrives on Monday. We havent pushed the engine past 1500 revs for fear it could load the timing cap but we may just need all our engine power as we head towards the Kimberlies where the tides and currents are renowned as some of the strongest.
Comments
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour
Hailing Port: Mandurah
Crew: Chris, Heidi, Kieran, Drina, Max and Tinka
About: We have taken 6 months off of work and school to sail our new boat 'Bella" from Brisbane, hopefully back to Mandurah, if not we will just enjoy what we see, weather dependent.

Who: Chris, Heidi, Kieran, Drina, Max and Tinka
Port: Mandurah