Bella

20 October 2011
15 October 2011
14 October 2011
14 October 2011
10 October 2011
10 October 2011
10 October 2011
09 October 2011 | Leos Isl
07 October 2011 | Dirk Hartog Isl
07 October 2011 | Shark Bay
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
18 September 2011
16 September 2011 | Broome

Parry Harbour

11 September 2011
Well we eventually made Parry Harbour, but as it was still early in the day we thought we could attempt to sail a little further and still unsure which currents are accurately charted we tried our luck– how wrong we were! The tides turned and yet again dictated our destination. After sailing against a 4-5knot current and only making up to 2knots headway we agreed to let the tide defeat us and return the 10NM to Parry Harbour (which running with the current took us next to no time doing 11.4knots over the ground on the GPS). Our extra passage wasn’t a complete waste as while we were consulting our chart plotter in the cockpit we had a whale come up right alongside the boat so close and loud with the whoosh from its blow hole that it startled both Chris and I. We’ve made a general observation that the currents appear to flood into the embayments in a south westerly direction and ebb in a north easterly direction, but then we’ve also noticed that some headlands and straights are reversed as they are in Arnhem Land in the Northern Territory! Between the charts and guide books being our reference material, where they sometimes contradict each other and can be wrong, the bulk of our conversation lately revolves around second guessing which way the tide will run. With the oil leak from the engine still causing some concern Chris contacted the mechanic in Darwin on the sat phone and tried to work out how it could still be leaking. The mechanic was great and provided some useful insight into our engine. So that evening Chris removed our stair case, which is a job in itself, to apply some gasket gue (courtesy of our mobile chandlery from Illusion) to the backing plate at the rear of the timing cap. Fingers crossed this will finally stop that small trickle of oil that has haunted us since leaving Tin Can Bay in QLD over 2,820NM ago.
Comments
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour
Hailing Port: Mandurah
Crew: Chris, Heidi, Kieran, Drina, Max and Tinka
About: We have taken 6 months off of work and school to sail our new boat 'Bella" from Brisbane, hopefully back to Mandurah, if not we will just enjoy what we see, weather dependent.

Who: Chris, Heidi, Kieran, Drina, Max and Tinka
Port: Mandurah