Bella

20 October 2011
15 October 2011
14 October 2011
14 October 2011
10 October 2011
10 October 2011
10 October 2011
09 October 2011 | Leos Isl
07 October 2011 | Dirk Hartog Isl
07 October 2011 | Shark Bay
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
18 September 2011
16 September 2011 | Broome

Cape Leveque

11 September 2011
The passage out of Coppermine Creek was discussed at some length the evening before as the tidal currents were known to be strong so our timing had to be right to avoid the strong tidal cross current. Even though our timing was almost perfect at slack water we still experienced almost 45 degree change in direction with an increase of 4 knots speed over the ground (giving us 12 knots through the water going almost sideways) as we made the passage though Goose Channel and past Byron Island, an exhilarating but terrifying experience that challenged our boat handling skills and one that I’ll be glad not to experience again. On another matter it was hard not to notice the dramatic landscape! The whole area looked like a scene from Horn Blower as one could imagine sailing his ancient rigger though the untouched, rugged and barren Buccaneer Archipelago by using the currents to his advantage to escape the enemy. Once through this passage it was straight over the King Sound and thankful to be on a neap tide so the cross currents weren’t particularly noticeable. Just as I was checking the entry into Cape Leveque on the chart plotter an enormous Humpback Whale leapt out of the water about 60m from us which again startled everyone onboard and stole our attention for this amazing display. Then lastly was the passage into Cape Leveque past Karrakatta Rock (which gave us some concern having the same name as the main cemetery in Perth) and between the shoals. Again we had another exhilarating ride with 45 degree change in direction as we were shot into the bay. Thankfully we timed it on an ebb tide going into the bay so it was at our advantage. Oh what I would do for a simple passage with no or little current! The white sandy beach that went as far as the eye could see looked so inviting. After two weeks of mostly muddy mangroves with the occasional sandy beach and croc infested waters through the Kimberlies this beach was heaven. The dogs were off the lead and enjoyed the freedom (Max enjoyed it more than we were expecting running so far that we could barely see him – obviously he has recovered from his injury in Cairns) and the kids explored the dunes while Chris tried a feeble effort at collecting oysters from a small cluster of rocks. The beach was a welcome sight and a symbol that we are truly on the home leg and back in WA waters. We were also very grateful to have the good sandy holding with the anchor in 20+ knots of breeze.
Comments
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour
Hailing Port: Mandurah
Crew: Chris, Heidi, Kieran, Drina, Max and Tinka
About: We have taken 6 months off of work and school to sail our new boat 'Bella" from Brisbane, hopefully back to Mandurah, if not we will just enjoy what we see, weather dependent.

Who: Chris, Heidi, Kieran, Drina, Max and Tinka
Port: Mandurah