Sea Sea Rider

21 January 2010 | Puerto Vallarta
20 January 2010
19 January 2010 | Puerto Vallarta

Work Day

20 January 2010
Hawaii Like
Tuesday January 19, 2010

The best time of the day is the morning; the temperature is in high sixties, the sun is shining brightly and there is a gentle cool breeze. The marina is so well protected that Bella Donna sits very still on the dead calm surface. It reminds me of Atlantus Resort in the Bahamas, Birds are performing their morning songs although it sounds tropical, nothing like the birds in the Sierra; that is if you could hear the birds in the morning in the middle of winter.

About 10 AM the day opens up and breezes are much warmer. The thermal winds are building; the high temperature of the day reaches into the mid or high 70's. We have have a few jobs to complete before Bella Donna can depart to Costa Rica. Juan is polishing the stainless steel, John and Deborah are repairing one of our 2 satellite antennas; I brought new stepper motors and belts with me. We need 2 so that if one fails at sea we have a backup. In fact that is one of the many reasons people are more and more preferring catamarans to mono hulls; there is 2 of most critical things - engines, generators, fuel tanks, water systems with desalination capability,GPS, radios, hulls, etc. Of course, you really notice how much better a catamaran is when at anchor the swell and the wind are 90 degrees different; the catamaran does not roll as much. This means you do not have to secure all movable objects and hold on as you sit or move about the vessel.

We tuned in our VHF to the local net where all the American cruisers exchange information. They cover new arrivals and planned departures as well as local retail specials including night clubs, restaurants, marine shops and more. They organize a group of cruisers that want to depart for a South Pacific passage or the big puddle jump as it is called. The thing we are interested most in hearing about is the weather and sea condition forecast-ed for our departure. The storms hitting the west coast of the US will change the weather radically down here by the weekend. The winds are to build to 30 knots and the sea swell to 12 feet. Being sailors that much prefer better conditions we will wait until the disturbed weather passes. Once the bad weather enters the mid west the lows will draw a tropical flow, warmer and more humid.

We went to the gym and then to one of the many pools to have sun-downers in the hot tub and watch a picture perfect sunset over the Pacific.

God Bless Bella Donna
Comments
Vessel Name: Bella Donna
Vessel Make/Model: Yapluka 72 Catamaran
Hailing Port: World

Port: World