Adventures of Berkeley East

05 June 2022
30 January 2022 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL
16 November 2021
21 October 2021
05 October 2021 | Genoa, Italy
15 September 2021
26 July 2021 | Caprera, Italy
22 July 2021 | Balearic Islands, Spain
01 July 2021
09 August 2020
30 March 2020 | Lake Norman, NC
31 October 2019 | Barcelona, Spain
30 September 2019 | Mallorca, Spain
15 September 2019 | Sardinia, Italy
08 September 2019 | Pantelleria, Italy
31 August 2019 | Favignana, Italy
22 August 2019 | Vulcano, Italy
17 August 2019 | Charlotte, NC and Gaeta, Italy

A Visit from Our Old Travel Buddies

10 July 2011 | Tuscany, Italy



We've known Chris and Donna forever; Chris was one of Larry's college roommates. Sometime in the mid 1980's we began taking trips together. It all started with a Thanksgiving escape to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. By the end of our time there, we had planned a vacation for the next year to Cozumel. Then it was Cayman, St. John, Honduras, Belize, etc., etc. And in between the bigger vacations, there were regular boat trips, ski trips, road trips, and weekends away. We learned each other's likes and dislikes, quirks and limitations. It was comfortable, which made traveling together great fun. Then, they started having babies, and we moved to Australia, so our vacations together ended. That was fifteen years ago, and we were surprised when we received an email that said they wanted to join us on our next adventure, be it on land, or by sea. We did a little of both. They flew into Roma (Rome), we docked Berkeley East on the Tuscan coast, and we each took trains to meet in Firenze (Florence), where we saw the sites and easily fell back into our travel routine. We are all much older now and we have led very different lives for the past 15 years, but all of us seem to have pretty much the same likes and dislikes, same quirks and limitations as before. It was really nice to be able to pick up where we left off.

Firenze (Florence)





When we thought of Firenze (also known as Florence), we thought of art and culture. A city that is famous for its writers, poets, painters and sculptors.







We were anxious to see the classic works of masters, but our last-minute trip left us unable to get into some of the most important museums, (the Uffizi and Galleria dell' Accademia) that are apparently booked months in advance. So we did something completely out of character for us, we joined a walking tour that included entrance into those museums. We could not go to Firenze and miss seeing Michelangelo's David (among other works). It was an all-day tour of the city, its buildings, palazzos, churches and museums.












We were overwhelmed. The Uffizi alone has enough to occupy your time for days.











On this particular day it happened to rain. Correction, Firenze had a torrential downpour that lasted for hours, during which we had to run across the city, without rain gear or umbrellas, in order to catch up to our tour group. We saw many people duck for cover, obviously changing their plans, but we could not go to Firenze and miss seeing Michelangelo's David. We have never been so wet with clothes on. But it was all worth it. We did see Michelangelo's David. And at the end of the day, we all commented on how clean our shoes were.









Pisa

We've seen the cheesy photographs of people pretending to hold up the Leaning Tower of Pisa. We thought about how silly it was. But when we got there, we just couldn't resist. It's difficult to believe that even though the Tower had begun to tilt early in construction, they continued to build for nearly two hundred years.









It is an amazing structure, typically seen in photographs standing alone, as if there is nothing else around it. But it is just one element of the Campo dei Miracoli (Field of Miracles).










We spent the day just hanging around the Campo, touring the Duomo, and then climbing the Leaning Tower. Until recently, the Tower was closed to visitors, but now you can get an appointment and go to the top. Inside, the steps were slick from thousands of years of traffic; you lean first one way, then the other. It was a good orientation for Chris and Donna to how they would feel on the boat. Once at the top, the views were magnificent.







Elba

We've said it before - train travel in Europe is fantastic. It's simple, convenient and affordable. It was just a 30-minute train ride from Pisa to Rosignano Solvay, where we had parked Berkeley East. Unfortunately, there aren't taxis on hand in this small town, so we had to walk another 30 minutes from the train station to the marina. Our travel buddies, Chris and Donna, were still with us. They had paid close attention when we told them to bring what they needed as there would not be opportunities to do laundry, so they were hauling heavy bags in the heat. They had said that they wanted to do whatever we do, so we thought they should have the full cruiser experience of walking, hauling and sweating.

The next day we headed for Elba, an island about 35 miles away. It was Donna's "29th" birthday and she said it had always been a lucky day for her. That day was lucky for all of us, instead of the zero wind that was forecast, there was 10 knots on the beam and we had one of our best sails in months.



Birthday dinner in Portoferraio







We began our circumnavigation of Elba in Portoferraio and moved clockwise with the weather and our mood. Elba doesn't have the chic-ness or glamour of much of the Med. It is a natural beauty, 50 percent of which is a national park.






Elba's main claim to fame is that Napoleon spent 10 months in exile on the island, but that is almost insignificant now, as people go there more for the beaches, secluded bays, historic towns and low-key environment.







We spent nearly a week exploring the island, sailing, swimming, fishing, grilling and introducing Chris and Donna to cava sangria before Chris and Donna had to leave us to go home.











As we said goodbye to them at the ferry, we almost felt as if we should be going back to the states, to go back to work, as we had done so many times at the end of our previous vacations with them. We quickly pushed that thought from our minds and returned to BE to plan our next move.




View of the harbor at Portoferraio


View into Porto Azzurro





Comments
Vessel Name: Berkeley East
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 54
Hailing Port: San Diego, CA
Crew: Larry & Mary Ivins
About: We quit our jobs in July of 2007 and began our adventure, sailing the US east coast in the summers and then spending our winters in the Caribbean. In 2010 we sailed across the Atlantic and will be cruising the Med for the next few years.
Extra:
FAQ Q: Did you go to UC Berkeley?

A: No. The name Berkeley East came from a ferry boat, "the Berkeley", that we met on over 30 years ago in San Diego. The East came as a result of seeing the boat being built in Taiwan. There was 30-foot Chinese symbol on the wall behind her during [...]
Berkeley East's Photos - Caribbean 1500 2008 (Main)
Street art from our 2019 stay in Barcelona
25 Photos
Created 7 November 2019
Photos for blog post
15 Photos
Created 2 August 2016
18 Photos
Created 17 May 2013
Extra pictures for Croatia
12 Photos
Created 5 September 2012
Venice June 2012
20 Photos
Created 12 July 2012
Tuscany trip summer 2011
30 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
Pictures from June 2011 - The Ligurian Coast of Italy
29 Photos
Created 29 June 2011
Wardrick Wells - Exuma Land and Sea Park May 2009
11 Photos
Created 4 May 2009
6 Photos
Created 22 April 2009
20 Photos
Created 21 April 2009
24 Photos
Created 19 April 2009
Pictures from our trip to Los Testigos, Venezuela - March 2009
5 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
4 Photos
Created 28 March 2009
Pics form the 2008 Caribbean 1500
No Photos
Created 26 November 2008
Octopuses Garden � Highborne, Exuma Cay, Bahamas
15 Photos
Created 22 May 2008
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2008
13 Photos
Created 28 January 2008
Chistmas 2007 in St Maarten with other crusiers and Mike and Linda (frends & meighbors from CA)
6 Photos
Created 28 January 2008
5 Photos
Created 23 December 2007
5 Photos
Created 21 November 2007
3 Photos
Created 5 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 28 August 2007
7 Photos
Created 28 August 2007
6 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
In early July 2006 we made a quick from Sydney, Australia to Kaohsiung, Taiwan to check on the construction of our Hylas 54. She was a little behind schedule, but the build quality was excellent.
4 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
4 Photos
Created 17 July 2007
After 28 days aboard Sigrun Bolten from Taiwan, Berkeley East arrived in Port Everglades Florida. Mary and I helped unload her and motored up the river to be hauled and rigged. We where joined by our friends and next door neighbors (from CA), who were in Florida cruising from California to the Caribbean.
5 Photos
Created 17 July 2007

Profile & FAQs

Who: Larry & Mary Ivins
Port: San Diego, CA

Our travels

Itinerary:

July 2019- Return to Gaeta, Italy

August 2019 - Gaeta to Sicily, Tunisia and Sardinia

September 2019 - The Spanish Balearic Islands

October 2019 -Barcelona Spain

November 2019 - Charlotte, NC