Adventures of Berkeley East

05 June 2022
30 January 2022 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL
16 November 2021
21 October 2021
05 October 2021 | Genoa, Italy
15 September 2021
26 July 2021 | Caprera, Italy
22 July 2021 | Balearic Islands, Spain
01 July 2021
09 August 2020
30 March 2020 | Lake Norman, NC
31 October 2019 | Barcelona, Spain
30 September 2019 | Mallorca, Spain
15 September 2019 | Sardinia, Italy
08 September 2019 | Pantelleria, Italy
31 August 2019 | Favignana, Italy
22 August 2019 | Vulcano, Italy
17 August 2019 | Charlotte, NC and Gaeta, Italy

August in The Pontines.

13 August 2011 | Pontine Islands, Italy
While Sardinia was interesting in August, we wanted to experience this month (when all of Europe goes on vacation) in multiple locations. So we said farewell to the mega yacht mania of Sardinia and headed for the Pontine Islands.

The Pontines are 150 miles east of Sardinia, with nothing in between, so that meant an overnight passage. We fueled up for the run, but before we had passed the last mega yacht anchored on Costa Smeralda, the wind was up and Berkeley East was sailing at 9 knots. We wondered if we should worry that, at this speed, we would get there too early and have to anchor in the dark, but we knew the wind wouldn't last. Ten hours later, we were sailing at 9.5 knots, at 15 hours into the trip, it was the same. We reefed the sails to slow BE down, she was apparently very anxious to leave the crazy mega yacht scene behind. We motor a lot in the Med, but we have also had some incredible sails and this was one of them.







The Pontine Islands are one of Italy's best-kept secrets. Five small islands, only two of which are inhabited, located just a few hours from Rome and Naples. We had read about the Pontines being the most beautiful islands in Italy, perhaps the world. But we've seen a lot of islands, lush green islands, dramatic rock islands, sand islands, lava islands, so it was hard to imagine what could possibly make these islands so special.






As the first of the Pontine Islands, Palmarola, came into view, we began to see what the guide books were talking about. By the time we saw Ponza, we really got it.









































There are few international tourists there, but there are lots, and lots, and lots of Italians that visit Ponza in August, both on land and on boats. And those that take the ferry to stay on land, rent day boats or take tour boats around the island and to the beaches. While the town and inner island are nice, Ponza is really an island to be appreciated from the water. We spent a few days exploring Ponza, circling the island several times, taking it all in. We tried, unsuccessfully, to anchor away from the other boats, but Ponza is small, with few anchorages. And the Italians are very friendly people who like to anchor close, so close that they anchor with fenders out.







One afternoon, we were relieved to see many boats leaving our anchorage, so there were just a handful of us left. We were expecting a little bit of wind that night and were happy not to have to worry about boats being too close. With Berkeley East sitting calmly in her roomy spot, we went into the beach for dinner. The restaurant was set up for a big crowd and a special DJ event. When we asked our waiter about it, he told us that the event had been canceled due to weather. We were confused, as the forecast was for only 15 knots, nothing too big. We decided to go back to BE and double check the weather. The report was the same, we weren't worried. We let out a little more anchor chain, tied a second line on the dingy for good measure, and went to bed. Twenty minutes later, large, short waves were slamming into BE's bow, then again into the stern. We felt like we were on a mechanical bull, rocking hard, having to hold on. The conditions were worse than any passage we have ever made, it continued all night and into the morning. Needless to say, it was a sleepless night. At daybreak, we decided to go around to the other side of the island, but first we had to secure the dinghy outboard and raise the anchor, no easy tasks with BE bucking like an angry bronco. Somehow we managed to get out without any harm to either us, or BE. As we pulled around the other side of the island, we saw boats everywhere. Clearly, the sea builds quickly from the east in that area so everyone moved to the west. We decided that sometimes it is best to trust local knowledge over professional weather reports. Later that day, wind was expected from the west, so we went back around the island. It was eerily calm, very different from just a few hours ago. We anchored in the same spot and slept like we were on land.







The Pontine's Ventetone Island is even a better-kept secret than Ponza. It is a tiny island with a tiny town and a tiny harbor, but it was still full of Italians on holiday.










Here though, there are more people on land than there are on boats. The one beach is wall-to-wall umbrellas. Boats full of scuba divers seem to leave every hour. And at five o'clock, pleasure craft line up for a space in the harbor. Like the anchorages in Ponza, we couldn't figure out how they managed to squeeze so boats many into such a small space.





Berkeley East at anchor between Ventetone Santa Stefano (the devil island).
Comments
Vessel Name: Berkeley East
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 54
Hailing Port: San Diego, CA
Crew: Larry & Mary Ivins
About: We quit our jobs in July of 2007 and began our adventure, sailing the US east coast in the summers and then spending our winters in the Caribbean. In 2010 we sailed across the Atlantic and will be cruising the Med for the next few years.
Extra:
FAQ Q: Did you go to UC Berkeley?

A: No. The name Berkeley East came from a ferry boat, "the Berkeley", that we met on over 30 years ago in San Diego. The East came as a result of seeing the boat being built in Taiwan. There was 30-foot Chinese symbol on the wall behind her during [...]
Berkeley East's Photos - Caribbean 1500 2008 (Main)
Street art from our 2019 stay in Barcelona
25 Photos
Created 7 November 2019
Photos for blog post
15 Photos
Created 2 August 2016
18 Photos
Created 17 May 2013
Extra pictures for Croatia
12 Photos
Created 5 September 2012
Venice June 2012
20 Photos
Created 12 July 2012
Tuscany trip summer 2011
30 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
Pictures from June 2011 - The Ligurian Coast of Italy
29 Photos
Created 29 June 2011
Wardrick Wells - Exuma Land and Sea Park May 2009
11 Photos
Created 4 May 2009
6 Photos
Created 22 April 2009
20 Photos
Created 21 April 2009
24 Photos
Created 19 April 2009
Pictures from our trip to Los Testigos, Venezuela - March 2009
5 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
4 Photos
Created 28 March 2009
Pics form the 2008 Caribbean 1500
No Photos
Created 26 November 2008
Octopuses Garden � Highborne, Exuma Cay, Bahamas
15 Photos
Created 22 May 2008
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2008
13 Photos
Created 28 January 2008
Chistmas 2007 in St Maarten with other crusiers and Mike and Linda (frends & meighbors from CA)
6 Photos
Created 28 January 2008
5 Photos
Created 23 December 2007
5 Photos
Created 21 November 2007
3 Photos
Created 5 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 28 August 2007
7 Photos
Created 28 August 2007
6 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
In early July 2006 we made a quick from Sydney, Australia to Kaohsiung, Taiwan to check on the construction of our Hylas 54. She was a little behind schedule, but the build quality was excellent.
4 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
4 Photos
Created 17 July 2007
After 28 days aboard Sigrun Bolten from Taiwan, Berkeley East arrived in Port Everglades Florida. Mary and I helped unload her and motored up the river to be hauled and rigged. We where joined by our friends and next door neighbors (from CA), who were in Florida cruising from California to the Caribbean.
5 Photos
Created 17 July 2007

Profile & FAQs

Who: Larry & Mary Ivins
Port: San Diego, CA

Our travels

Itinerary:

July 2019- Return to Gaeta, Italy

August 2019 - Gaeta to Sicily, Tunisia and Sardinia

September 2019 - The Spanish Balearic Islands

October 2019 -Barcelona Spain

November 2019 - Charlotte, NC