Adventures of Berkeley East

05 June 2022
30 January 2022 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL
16 November 2021
21 October 2021
05 October 2021 | Genoa, Italy
15 September 2021
26 July 2021 | Caprera, Italy
22 July 2021 | Balearic Islands, Spain
01 July 2021
09 August 2020
30 March 2020 | Lake Norman, NC
31 October 2019 | Barcelona, Spain
30 September 2019 | Mallorca, Spain
15 September 2019 | Sardinia, Italy
08 September 2019 | Pantelleria, Italy
31 August 2019 | Favignana, Italy
22 August 2019 | Vulcano, Italy
17 August 2019 | Charlotte, NC and Gaeta, Italy

A recap of 2011 cruising season and plan for 2012.

24 March 2012 | Cornelis, NC, USA
It's March and we are preparing to leave for Sicily and another summer in the Mediterranean. Before laying out the plan for this year's cruising season, we looked back on last year. Wow! We went to so many great places it is difficult to remember all the names. And there were so many wonderful new experiences it is mindboggling.

When we left Barcelona last May, our plan was to cross the Mediterranean Sea from Spain to Turkey. It looked doable and exciting. We talked to other cruisers who said nothing negative about the plan, but we consistently heard words like ambitious and aggressive. As we made our way along the coast of France, we started to think about the places we would miss if we pushed to Turkey, like the Italian Riviera, Tuscany, Rome, the Amafi coast. So we changed the plan, sailed along the Italian coast and decided to winter in Croatia. A month or so later, weather slowed us down while in Corsica, with 10 days of strong "Mistral" winds. So, we changed our plan again and decided to slow down even more in order to explore more of Italy, ending the season in Sicily. When the heat and crowds of August hit us, we changed plans once more, deciding to delay our Rome visit until we flew home to the US. So what was to be a quick trip across the Med, turned into a months stay in Spain, a month in France and over four months in Italy, proving that a cruiser's plan is truly etching in sand.



2011 was a different year, no long passages across oceans, only a few overnights or passages that were more than 20 hours. The year was more about exploring different cultures, food, wine, history, churches, and ruins. There were plenty of islands, just not tropical islands with white sand beaches. In fact, many of the beaches were rocks. We got better at Mediterranean mooring, where you back into a dock between two boats that are way too close together, but we still have occasional exciting docking experiences!

2011 was also the same in many ways. Berkeley East provided us with the usual challenges, pumps failing, contaminated fuel, opportunities to chase smells. As seems to be the case in most years, BE got hit again. Nothing bad this time, just a scratch from a boat that anchored too close in the dark and drifted into us when the wind stopped. She is a tough ship.


The mega-yachts were even larger last year. The number and size of large yachts blew us away again. We thought we had seen large ships in St. Baths, but were overwhelmed by the number of 150+ foot yachts cruising around Italy. We spent a couple of weeks buddy boating with one of the largest yachts in the world "A" (387 feet long). Owned by a Russian billionaire, "A" is one of the most unique super yachts in the world. We were together in Sardinia, Capri and Sorrento.

We met many people and made new friends last year. We had guests visit us from France, Australia, Nevada and California.

In short, we had a fantastic season!

After our second summer in the Mediterranean we have some observations. Nothing profound, but just life's differences and similarities as seen through our eyes:

One of the toughest questions we have been asked over the years is "where are you from?". We have moved around a lot, so we had to decide if we should say North Carolina because we have a house there, or California because we grew up there. We started out saying the "United States". The Europeans do not recognize this description, as they consider us Americans. But calling ourselves "American" seemed presumptuous given that the US is just one of many countries in the Americas. But in the end, to avoid confusion, when asked where we are from, we now say America.

The French language is very difficult. While we are sure this was obvious to everyone, French words are not spelled like they are pronounced. You need to discard some of the letters and add a couple that are not there. The trick is recognizing which to ignore, and which too add. After almost a month in France we never really got the hang of it. Italian is a lot easier!

Why do people who don't speak English give their boats English names? There is some of this in the United States with boats named "Carpe Diem" and "La Dolce Vita", but nothing like in Spain, France and Italy. Most of the boats there have English names.

In August it gets hot and everyone goes on vacation. We had heard this just like everyone else, but really, it gets HOT and because everyone is on vacation, it is very crowded.

One thing we have not been able to figure out is why the French make such good bread and when you go one mile across the border to Italy, the bread is almost inedible. We have heard all the explanations, and we understand that Italian bread is an acquired taste, and they speak different languages, but how can this be? Why doesn't someone in Italy just steal the French bread recipe!

When we used to sail in the Caribbean, we were always leery when a French boat pulled into the anchorage. They anchored too close, we considered this rude and it played into the stereotype of "the French". But since we've been in the Med, we have found the French sailors to be very courteous and never anchor too close. We have concluded the difference is that in the Caribbean they are on charter boats and at home they are on their own boats. While in Spain last year, a Frenchman on a small sailboat came by and tipped his hat to us as pulled into the anchorage. We took this as a very kind way to acknowledge our sail across the Atlantic. Everyone we have come across in France has been friendly.

Another difference we found between the Italians and the French is that when you enter a marina in Italy everyone comes to help, in France they ignore you. They assume you can handle it and don't need their assistance. We appreciate the confidence the French have in our docking abilities, but we like the Italian approach better, as it is always a challenge for us to get Berkeley East into the small area we have been allocated.

We were surprised to find that in the Med, it is a fashion statement to wear clothes with American flags, state/city names and sport team logos on them. Our informal survey indicates that the New York Yankees are the favorite sports team of the Europeans, followed by the L.A. Lakers. As far as locations go, New York wins again, followed by California, and then San Diego. While we don't wear a lot of clothes with American logos on them, the large US flag on our stern attracts a lot of attention. People come by to talk with us about their family who live in America, to hear about our sail across the Atlantic Ocean and to get their picture taken with the flag. Although we don't speak French or Italian well, we managed to have wonderful conversations with local tourist, fishermen and sailors who came by to chat.

Lastly, everyone makes good wine in the Med and there are so many varieties that we have never heard of. Each country and region has wines that are unique to them, and while there are some large wineries, most are small family run operations that have been passed down from generation to generation. Needless to say Berkeley East is now full of great wine!


So before you ask what the plan is for next year, we have learned that this lifestyle does not allow planning for next week, let alone next year. The one thing for certain is that we will spend longer in the Mediterranean than we originally planned. For now we will continue on our eastward path, probably moving slower than we ever imagined. The current thinking for 2012 is to cruise the Adriatic Sea and return to Sicily for the winter. There are few things that are driving our plan: we need to be out of the European Union by July to avoid Berkeley East being taxed; while we spent six months in Europe last year, we are concerned that Greece may enforce the Schengen Treaty that limits us to only 90 days in Europe every six months; Croatia is going to be accepted into the EU in 2013; and Porto Turistico Marina di Regusa, Sicily is making it financially attractive to leave BE there for the winter again, which means more Euros for the cruising kitty. While our life looks simple there are a lot of factors that impact what we do.


So the rough plan looks like this:



April - Sicily
May - Malta, Southern Italy (Calabria and Puglia)
June - Greek Ionian Islands (Corfu, Paxi, Lefkada, ...)
July - Albania, Montenegro and Croatia
August - Croatia
September - Slovenia and Venice
October - The East coast of Italy and back to Sicily

But stay tuned, you never know where we might end up. It looks like 2012 will be another exciting year.
Comments
Vessel Name: Berkeley East
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 54
Hailing Port: San Diego, CA
Crew: Larry & Mary Ivins
About: We quit our jobs in July of 2007 and began our adventure, sailing the US east coast in the summers and then spending our winters in the Caribbean. In 2010 we sailed across the Atlantic and will be cruising the Med for the next few years.
Extra:
FAQ Q: Did you go to UC Berkeley?

A: No. The name Berkeley East came from a ferry boat, "the Berkeley", that we met on over 30 years ago in San Diego. The East came as a result of seeing the boat being built in Taiwan. There was 30-foot Chinese symbol on the wall behind her during [...]
Berkeley East's Photos - Caribbean 1500 2008 (Main)
Street art from our 2019 stay in Barcelona
25 Photos
Created 7 November 2019
Photos for blog post
15 Photos
Created 2 August 2016
18 Photos
Created 17 May 2013
Extra pictures for Croatia
12 Photos
Created 5 September 2012
Venice June 2012
20 Photos
Created 12 July 2012
Tuscany trip summer 2011
30 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
Pictures from June 2011 - The Ligurian Coast of Italy
29 Photos
Created 29 June 2011
Wardrick Wells - Exuma Land and Sea Park May 2009
11 Photos
Created 4 May 2009
6 Photos
Created 22 April 2009
20 Photos
Created 21 April 2009
24 Photos
Created 19 April 2009
Pictures from our trip to Los Testigos, Venezuela - March 2009
5 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
4 Photos
Created 28 March 2009
Pics form the 2008 Caribbean 1500
No Photos
Created 26 November 2008
Octopuses Garden � Highborne, Exuma Cay, Bahamas
15 Photos
Created 22 May 2008
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2008
13 Photos
Created 28 January 2008
Chistmas 2007 in St Maarten with other crusiers and Mike and Linda (frends & meighbors from CA)
6 Photos
Created 28 January 2008
5 Photos
Created 23 December 2007
5 Photos
Created 21 November 2007
3 Photos
Created 5 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 28 August 2007
7 Photos
Created 28 August 2007
6 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
In early July 2006 we made a quick from Sydney, Australia to Kaohsiung, Taiwan to check on the construction of our Hylas 54. She was a little behind schedule, but the build quality was excellent.
4 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
4 Photos
Created 17 July 2007
After 28 days aboard Sigrun Bolten from Taiwan, Berkeley East arrived in Port Everglades Florida. Mary and I helped unload her and motored up the river to be hauled and rigged. We where joined by our friends and next door neighbors (from CA), who were in Florida cruising from California to the Caribbean.
5 Photos
Created 17 July 2007

Profile & FAQs

Who: Larry & Mary Ivins
Port: San Diego, CA

Our travels

Itinerary:

July 2019- Return to Gaeta, Italy

August 2019 - Gaeta to Sicily, Tunisia and Sardinia

September 2019 - The Spanish Balearic Islands

October 2019 -Barcelona Spain

November 2019 - Charlotte, NC