Adventures of Berkeley East

05 June 2022
30 January 2022 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL
16 November 2021
21 October 2021
05 October 2021 | Genoa, Italy
15 September 2021
26 July 2021 | Caprera, Italy
22 July 2021 | Balearic Islands, Spain
01 July 2021
09 August 2020
30 March 2020 | Lake Norman, NC
31 October 2019 | Barcelona, Spain
30 September 2019 | Mallorca, Spain
15 September 2019 | Sardinia, Italy
08 September 2019 | Pantelleria, Italy
31 August 2019 | Favignana, Italy
22 August 2019 | Vulcano, Italy
17 August 2019 | Charlotte, NC and Gaeta, Italy

Life’s a Beach

27 July 2013 | Mykonos, Greece




We have been fortunate to spend much of our lives living near beaches. And when we didn't, we made a point to travel to places with great sun and sand. From California and Florida, to Australia, Mexico, Central America, South America, the South Pacific, Caribbean and now, the last four summers cruising in the Mediterranean; we have seen, and enjoyed, some fantastic shorelines. We love sand in our toes so much that we even bought a house on a lake in North Carolina with a beach in the backyard.

This year, with our cruising route taking us to Greece, we looked forward to seeing some of the world's most beautiful beaches. The Greek islands are thought to have more beaches than anywhere else; thousands of islands, each with dozens of beaches. No one knows exactly how many there are.

The island of Mykonos is famous for its beaches and we spent an afternoon there exploring the coastline to find our favorite patch of golden sand. As we looked at the map, we were overwhelmed by the selection, so we limited our quest to eight beaches on the southern coast of the island. Paradise Beach, Super Paradise Beach, the names alone told us this was going to be a difficult choice.

In order to determine what our favorite beach was, we needed some objective criteria. On this particular day, we were looking for the quintessential European beach: a place to chill and swim, eat lunch and have a drink surrounded by soft sand and crystal clear water. These beaches are not the secluded private beaches of Los Roques or the Bahamas. They all have lounge chairs, umbrellas or thatched shades, food/drink service at your chair, everything you might want while on a Mediterranean holiday. They are organized for enjoying the sun and water, socializing, partying and for watersports (jet skis, water skiing, tubing).

We thought it would be best to start with the furthest beach and work our way back toward town, so it was off to Elia, which in the end turned out to be our favorite. Elia was a beautiful beach with plenty of open space, nice sand, turquoise water, and waiters that ran from the bar to your lounge chair so your drink wouldn't get warm. It was quiet, without jet skis, had less people and excellent food at the restaurant. But we had to move on because we couldn't stop at the first beach and declare it the best.






Next was Agrari Beach just a mile west, but took about 20 minutes to drive back up the winding road from Elia and then down the next winding road to Agrari. This was a wide stretch of sand with a steep slope down to the water. It was even quieter than Elia, with a nice place to relax in the shade. It was rustic and casual, but a bit too rough for our search criteria that day.






After Agrari, we headed to Super Paradise. We had high expectations for a beach named Super Paradise. It was a large beach, had gorgeous water, but there was very little open space with lounge chairs all the way to the waters edge. Nice, but more of a night club than a beach to relax at. Pinky Beach (not on our list) next door looked more upscale and fun than Super Paradise.







The crowds got bigger and the open space smaller at Paradise. Whoever named these beaches had a different dictionary than we did. The restaurants along the beach made it feel like we were in the food court at a mall. You couldn't tell if there was good sand for all the lounge chairs lined up with people sleeping. Clearly Paradise was the place to recover from the party the night before.







Next was Paranga a very small beach with a small taverna and an impressive view of the yachts in Platis Gialas. No one was there, a stark contrast to Paradise.









Platis Gialas is the place to be seen with your large yacht. The beach was so packed with beach chairs it was surprising some didn't float away in the surf. But while it wasn't our idea of fun, lots of little families were having a blast.







With our enthusiasm dimming, we pushed on to Psarou, a trendy upscale beach surrounded by luxury hotels. We were ready for a luxury hotel. Rumor has it that there is a waiting list for the beach chairs in Psarou, some are reserved for months in advance, for months at a time.







And finally, our last stop was Ornos Beach in Ornos Bay, where we had hoped to bring Berkeley East, if not for all the large yachts crowding the bay. Ornos is a small crescent beach, close to town surrounded by hotels, apartments and cafes. We drove down the small road, only to get stuck, having to back out the way we came followed by other impatient drivers. With no parking in sight, we pulled into a restaurant lot figuring it was the only way to see this last beach. As we waited at a table for service, we realized it was a self-service establishment where you served your own wine from a tap, but when it came to getting a glass of orange juice, the bartender did the squeezing. Fresh OJ at the cafeteria on the beach was a plus, but still not enough to put Ornos on top.







So the day was done and our search was over. Elia won our Best Beach award. We were worn out, mostly from driving the thin winding roads to and from the beaches, dodging scooters, ATV's and buses. Our expectations had been high and we were surprised by many things: first, the sheer number of beaches on such a small island was amazing; second, not all of the beaches were nude or partially nude, as the guide books lead you to believe; and third, the masses of people on the beaches, not to mention the endless vehicles, was incredible. After a while, all the beaches started to look the same to us, but as we recalled each one later, we realized they were all very unique; each with something for everyone.


Comments
Vessel Name: Berkeley East
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 54
Hailing Port: San Diego, CA
Crew: Larry & Mary Ivins
About: We quit our jobs in July of 2007 and began our adventure, sailing the US east coast in the summers and then spending our winters in the Caribbean. In 2010 we sailed across the Atlantic and will be cruising the Med for the next few years.
Extra:
FAQ Q: Did you go to UC Berkeley?

A: No. The name Berkeley East came from a ferry boat, "the Berkeley", that we met on over 30 years ago in San Diego. The East came as a result of seeing the boat being built in Taiwan. There was 30-foot Chinese symbol on the wall behind her during [...]
Berkeley East's Photos - Caribbean 1500 2008 (Main)
Street art from our 2019 stay in Barcelona
25 Photos
Created 7 November 2019
Photos for blog post
15 Photos
Created 2 August 2016
18 Photos
Created 17 May 2013
Extra pictures for Croatia
12 Photos
Created 5 September 2012
Venice June 2012
20 Photos
Created 12 July 2012
Tuscany trip summer 2011
30 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
Pictures from June 2011 - The Ligurian Coast of Italy
29 Photos
Created 29 June 2011
Wardrick Wells - Exuma Land and Sea Park May 2009
11 Photos
Created 4 May 2009
6 Photos
Created 22 April 2009
20 Photos
Created 21 April 2009
24 Photos
Created 19 April 2009
Pictures from our trip to Los Testigos, Venezuela - March 2009
5 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
4 Photos
Created 28 March 2009
Pics form the 2008 Caribbean 1500
No Photos
Created 26 November 2008
Octopuses Garden � Highborne, Exuma Cay, Bahamas
15 Photos
Created 22 May 2008
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2008
13 Photos
Created 28 January 2008
Chistmas 2007 in St Maarten with other crusiers and Mike and Linda (frends & meighbors from CA)
6 Photos
Created 28 January 2008
5 Photos
Created 23 December 2007
5 Photos
Created 21 November 2007
3 Photos
Created 5 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 28 August 2007
7 Photos
Created 28 August 2007
6 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
In early July 2006 we made a quick from Sydney, Australia to Kaohsiung, Taiwan to check on the construction of our Hylas 54. She was a little behind schedule, but the build quality was excellent.
4 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
4 Photos
Created 17 July 2007
After 28 days aboard Sigrun Bolten from Taiwan, Berkeley East arrived in Port Everglades Florida. Mary and I helped unload her and motored up the river to be hauled and rigged. We where joined by our friends and next door neighbors (from CA), who were in Florida cruising from California to the Caribbean.
5 Photos
Created 17 July 2007

Profile & FAQs

Who: Larry & Mary Ivins
Port: San Diego, CA

Our travels

Itinerary:

July 2019- Return to Gaeta, Italy

August 2019 - Gaeta to Sicily, Tunisia and Sardinia

September 2019 - The Spanish Balearic Islands

October 2019 -Barcelona Spain

November 2019 - Charlotte, NC