Adventures of Berkeley East

05 June 2022
30 January 2022 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL
16 November 2021
21 October 2021
05 October 2021 | Genoa, Italy
15 September 2021
26 July 2021 | Caprera, Italy
22 July 2021 | Balearic Islands, Spain
01 July 2021
09 August 2020
30 March 2020 | Lake Norman, NC
31 October 2019 | Barcelona, Spain
30 September 2019 | Mallorca, Spain
15 September 2019 | Sardinia, Italy
08 September 2019 | Pantelleria, Italy
31 August 2019 | Favignana, Italy
22 August 2019 | Vulcano, Italy
17 August 2019 | Charlotte, NC and Gaeta, Italy

The Delivery

31 May 2016 | Gulfs of Corinth and Patras, Greece
We had been through the Corinth Canal, Gulf of Corinth and the Gulf of Patras twice before, so this passage was more about moving the boat, than exploring. We were traveling out of the Aegean and into the Ionian Sea, and we wanted to do it fast. In the boating world, this is sometimes called a delivery. But in contrast to a typical delivery that is normally done by a paid crew, we were delivering our own boat, Berkeley East, to ourselves.





Our two previous Corinth Canal transits were from west to east, this one was east to west. Based on past experience, we researched the option of paying our transit fees in advance, through an agent in Pireaus, so we would not have to stop on the wall and risk the massive swells that often roll through from freighter traffic. It was a good move. Not only were we able to avoid docking, with our fees paid, Berkeley East was called through the canal immediately upon her arrival, no waiting.





Our first canal transit, four years ago, took two hours behind a cargo ship going 2 knots. The second trip took just 20 minutes at 8 knots, with the canal operator calling over the radio for everyone to go faster. We wondered what the third passage might bring. The speed was somewhat average at about 6 knots, which is what the pilot guide states as the maximum. The key differences this time were the bungee jumpers, and the mast climbers. The Corinth Canal is 3.2 miles long and 75 feet wide, with limestone walls that rise 250 feet above sea level. The maximum draft permitted is 21 feet, and the maximum height is 170 feet due to three bridges that cross the canal. It is not uncommon to see large groups of people gathered on the bridges; tour groups taking pictures. But this was the first time we heard loud chanting as we passed under one of the bridges, followed by a body falling. We were relieved when the body bounced back up, springing on the bungee line attached to its ankles.





There is also a current of 1-3 knots in the canal that can flow in either direction depending on the wind direction. And severe gusts can blow off the surrounding land at either end. Which is why we were surprised to see a person climbing the mast on one of the boats in front of us. Not only did they climb and take pictures while in the canal, they stayed at the top long after exiting. We hate going up the mast in a calm marina, let alone on a moving boat in precarious conditions. We wondered if they were stuck up there, were making a repair, or were just plain crazy.








A delivery is a bit like moving in a car across country; you want to drive as long as you can stay awake and find a Motel 6 or a La Quinta, with convenient freeway access, where you can close the curtains and catch a few winks. Then you get up the next day and repeat. So once through the canal, we looked for an anchorage where we didn't have to veer too far off course, with protection from the weather and hopefully a little quiet for some rest. We didn't care about beauty or entertainment, as we were going to bed early and getting up at the crack of dawn. Just before sunset, we dropped the hook in Ormos Isidoros, a small bay about 30 miles west of the canal. One side of the shore was lined with what looked like deserted buildings, the other cluttered with cars and umbrellas. The water was full of waste from the fish farm in the next cove. Definitely more of a Motel 6 in po-dunk-ville than the more upscale La Quinta, but it was sheltered from the wind and swell so that's all that mattered. Funny though, no matter how hard we tried to take a picture showing the true nature of the place, the resulting images were beautiful.










Up at O-Dark-Thirty and off again. This time with a goal of making an island called Trizonia. It was rough, choppy and cold, typical conditions for a delivery. But when you have the mindset of getting from point A to point B, you just hunker down for the ride. The island of Trizonia was a La Quinta variety of stops, with a free dock, a colorful live-aboard community, and a lovely barge in the anchorage.







Sunrise departure on the third and final day of the delivery took us under the beautiful Rion-Andirrion suspension bridge (the longest cable-stayed bridge in the world). It was a long day of motoring but we were heading west and got ahead of the big afternoon west winds, so we were happy.












We landed in Vathi, Ithica that evening, back in the Ionian for the fourth time. Delivery successful. A few days of recovery, then we would begin our cruising, and exploring, once again.


Comments
Vessel Name: Berkeley East
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 54
Hailing Port: San Diego, CA
Crew: Larry & Mary Ivins
About: We quit our jobs in July of 2007 and began our adventure, sailing the US east coast in the summers and then spending our winters in the Caribbean. In 2010 we sailed across the Atlantic and will be cruising the Med for the next few years.
Extra:
FAQ Q: Did you go to UC Berkeley?

A: No. The name Berkeley East came from a ferry boat, "the Berkeley", that we met on over 30 years ago in San Diego. The East came as a result of seeing the boat being built in Taiwan. There was 30-foot Chinese symbol on the wall behind her during [...]
Berkeley East's Photos - Caribbean 1500 2008 (Main)
Street art from our 2019 stay in Barcelona
25 Photos
Created 7 November 2019
Photos for blog post
15 Photos
Created 2 August 2016
18 Photos
Created 17 May 2013
Extra pictures for Croatia
12 Photos
Created 5 September 2012
Venice June 2012
20 Photos
Created 12 July 2012
Tuscany trip summer 2011
30 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
Pictures from June 2011 - The Ligurian Coast of Italy
29 Photos
Created 29 June 2011
Wardrick Wells - Exuma Land and Sea Park May 2009
11 Photos
Created 4 May 2009
6 Photos
Created 22 April 2009
20 Photos
Created 21 April 2009
24 Photos
Created 19 April 2009
Pictures from our trip to Los Testigos, Venezuela - March 2009
5 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
4 Photos
Created 28 March 2009
Pics form the 2008 Caribbean 1500
No Photos
Created 26 November 2008
Octopuses Garden � Highborne, Exuma Cay, Bahamas
15 Photos
Created 22 May 2008
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2008
13 Photos
Created 28 January 2008
Chistmas 2007 in St Maarten with other crusiers and Mike and Linda (frends & meighbors from CA)
6 Photos
Created 28 January 2008
5 Photos
Created 23 December 2007
5 Photos
Created 21 November 2007
3 Photos
Created 5 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 28 August 2007
7 Photos
Created 28 August 2007
6 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
In early July 2006 we made a quick from Sydney, Australia to Kaohsiung, Taiwan to check on the construction of our Hylas 54. She was a little behind schedule, but the build quality was excellent.
4 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
4 Photos
Created 17 July 2007
After 28 days aboard Sigrun Bolten from Taiwan, Berkeley East arrived in Port Everglades Florida. Mary and I helped unload her and motored up the river to be hauled and rigged. We where joined by our friends and next door neighbors (from CA), who were in Florida cruising from California to the Caribbean.
5 Photos
Created 17 July 2007

Profile & FAQs

Who: Larry & Mary Ivins
Port: San Diego, CA

Our travels

Itinerary:

July 2019- Return to Gaeta, Italy

August 2019 - Gaeta to Sicily, Tunisia and Sardinia

September 2019 - The Spanish Balearic Islands

October 2019 -Barcelona Spain

November 2019 - Charlotte, NC