Adventures of Berkeley East

05 June 2022
30 January 2022 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL
16 November 2021
21 October 2021
05 October 2021 | Genoa, Italy
15 September 2021
26 July 2021 | Caprera, Italy
22 July 2021 | Balearic Islands, Spain
01 July 2021
09 August 2020
30 March 2020 | Lake Norman, NC
31 October 2019 | Barcelona, Spain
30 September 2019 | Mallorca, Spain
15 September 2019 | Sardinia, Italy
08 September 2019 | Pantelleria, Italy
31 August 2019 | Favignana, Italy
22 August 2019 | Vulcano, Italy
17 August 2019 | Charlotte, NC and Gaeta, Italy

Only in Italy

21 July 2016 | Puglia, Italy
After three years in Greece and Turkey, Berkeley East's return to Italy was met with much enthusiasm among the crew. The land of pizza and pasta has always been a favorite. Our arrival was very challenging, so we welcomed a good nights sleep, and calm conditions in the morning. But we were awoken by BE pitching and rolling, and for a moment we thought we had only dreamed the safe landing. There was a split second of panic as we wondered if we were still at sea and if so, who was on watch? Then we heard the enthusiastic yelling outside, in Italian. Relieved upon realizing that we hadn't imagined arriving and docking in Italy, we poked our heads topside, and felt as though we must be hallucinating. There, right out front of Berkeley East in the harbor, were tanks, Italian army amphibious tanks racing around in the water. And all of the shouting was coming from our dock master telling them to stop making waves. We were a little concerned given that we were smack in between the angry dock master and soldiers with guns. Once we shook the cobwebs out of our sleepy heads, it was hilarious, what a scene. Only in Italy.






With the army's maneuvers complete and Berkeley East safe from gunfire, we needed to get checked into Italy. Having no idea where to go, we wandered through the streets of Brindisi.











Three hours later, we completed the check-in process after receiving assistance from some 20 people, including three translators, all eagerly working to get us to the right place, with the right people. This doesn't happen in other countries.

We decided to drive around to see some of the surrounding region of Puglia. After inquiring about a rental car with our dock master, it was quickly arranged. When we asked for directions to pick up the car, he informed us that his friend would take us, which he did. Then, the friend proceeded to wait until the formalities with the car agency were complete, in order to lead the way back through the winding city streets to the dock. It was great to be back in Italy.







Our travels took us to Ruvo di Puglia, a historical town which boasts one of the best preserved old quarters dating from medieval times. Today, it is a town devoted to agriculture, wine and olive growing. Just our type of place.






Ruvo di Puglia is also was home to many churches, and we found ourselves drawn into each and every one of them. Visiting every church we see is something we only do in Italy. And we were fortunate to be able crash a beautiful wedding, something we have done many times in this country.






We stopped in the town of Alberobello to see the trulli "houses." A trullo is a traditional dry stone, without motor, hut with a conical roof found only in Italy, in the Itria valley of Puglia. This style of structure was used so that it could be dismantled quickly; some say an efficient way to escape when the tax man was coming.










Puglia's tradition of winemaking goes back to the Phoenicians, who are believed to have practiced viticulture as far back as 2000BC. It was so ingrained in the culture by the time the Greeks arrived they called Puglia "Enotria" which means Wineland. While Puglia's wines are not as famous as those from other Italian regions, they are excellent and offer a very good value. But visiting the wineries is very challenging, as they require advance appointments and close for several hours in the middle of the day. We went to one winery that was just closing for the afternoon, but they allowed us in to make a purchase. When we asked questions in English, a translator was summoned. When we probed if we could taste just one wine before we bought, glasses were brought out, along with several wines, snacks and water.






At another winery, we were told it was impossible to have a tour or tasting, so we asked to just have a look at the beautiful grounds. An hour later, we had been given a guided visit of the entire facility, and were sampling wines with the CEO of the company. Only in Italy.





A move up the coast to Bari, led to refrigerator repairs. When the technician arrived, he spoke no English, but his diagnosis needed no translation, "kaput", he said. After several exchanges using Google Translate, we had a plan for parts and installation, and a special price for cash. So off we went in search of a bank, a simple enough task. When the Fitbit hit 30,000 steps, we knew we had made a few wrong turns, something we recall doing a lot of in Italy.









In Bari they make a unique snack called Barese focaccia. It's not something you find in a restaurant, but a delicacy to be picked up on the street, or fresh from the oven at a local bakery. We walked into a small, family-run bakery and had the best Barese focaccia ever. The words "parla inglese" brought heads shaking in the negative, but the little lady did not give up, she seemed to welcome the challenge. After much smiling, pantomiming and laughing we walked away with roughly one half of a kilo of this yummy snack, congratulating ourselves on our excellent communication skills.






We needed to do some provisioning before leaving Italy again, so we drove to a very large market and spent the better part of the morning translating words on our phone to understand what we were buying. It was a Saturday, so the store was very crowded, as were the checkout lines. As we parked our cart, with its 500 items, in a queue, a woman began speaking very harshly to us in Italian. We stared at her blankly and changed lines. Soon there was a lot of commotion, a man yelled at the woman, and then spoke to the cashier. The man told us to go back to the first line, people moved out of the way to let us through. We had been in the "10 items or less line" and the man asked the cashier if she would take us through her line anyway, with our 500 items, which she happily did. Then the woman came to us to apologize, in Italian. Apparently she didn't realize that we were American, given that we look so Italian. She had probably been saying, "can't you idiots read?"






And so it went, during our brief stop in Italy. Simple experiences enhanced by generous, helpful people taking pity on the Americans. And when we did leave, and had to get our passports stamped out of the country, we didn't have to roam around searching, the police came to us. Only in Italy.

Comments
Vessel Name: Berkeley East
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 54
Hailing Port: San Diego, CA
Crew: Larry & Mary Ivins
About: We quit our jobs in July of 2007 and began our adventure, sailing the US east coast in the summers and then spending our winters in the Caribbean. In 2010 we sailed across the Atlantic and will be cruising the Med for the next few years.
Extra:
FAQ Q: Did you go to UC Berkeley?

A: No. The name Berkeley East came from a ferry boat, "the Berkeley", that we met on over 30 years ago in San Diego. The East came as a result of seeing the boat being built in Taiwan. There was 30-foot Chinese symbol on the wall behind her during [...]
Berkeley East's Photos - Caribbean 1500 2008 (Main)
Street art from our 2019 stay in Barcelona
25 Photos
Created 7 November 2019
Photos for blog post
15 Photos
Created 2 August 2016
18 Photos
Created 17 May 2013
Extra pictures for Croatia
12 Photos
Created 5 September 2012
Venice June 2012
20 Photos
Created 12 July 2012
Tuscany trip summer 2011
30 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
Pictures from June 2011 - The Ligurian Coast of Italy
29 Photos
Created 29 June 2011
Wardrick Wells - Exuma Land and Sea Park May 2009
11 Photos
Created 4 May 2009
6 Photos
Created 22 April 2009
20 Photos
Created 21 April 2009
24 Photos
Created 19 April 2009
Pictures from our trip to Los Testigos, Venezuela - March 2009
5 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
4 Photos
Created 28 March 2009
Pics form the 2008 Caribbean 1500
No Photos
Created 26 November 2008
Octopuses Garden � Highborne, Exuma Cay, Bahamas
15 Photos
Created 22 May 2008
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2008
13 Photos
Created 28 January 2008
Chistmas 2007 in St Maarten with other crusiers and Mike and Linda (frends & meighbors from CA)
6 Photos
Created 28 January 2008
5 Photos
Created 23 December 2007
5 Photos
Created 21 November 2007
3 Photos
Created 5 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 28 August 2007
7 Photos
Created 28 August 2007
6 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
In early July 2006 we made a quick from Sydney, Australia to Kaohsiung, Taiwan to check on the construction of our Hylas 54. She was a little behind schedule, but the build quality was excellent.
4 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
4 Photos
Created 17 July 2007
After 28 days aboard Sigrun Bolten from Taiwan, Berkeley East arrived in Port Everglades Florida. Mary and I helped unload her and motored up the river to be hauled and rigged. We where joined by our friends and next door neighbors (from CA), who were in Florida cruising from California to the Caribbean.
5 Photos
Created 17 July 2007

Profile & FAQs

Who: Larry & Mary Ivins
Port: San Diego, CA

Our travels

Itinerary:

July 2019- Return to Gaeta, Italy

August 2019 - Gaeta to Sicily, Tunisia and Sardinia

September 2019 - The Spanish Balearic Islands

October 2019 -Barcelona Spain

November 2019 - Charlotte, NC