Adventures of Berkeley East

05 June 2022
30 January 2022 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL
16 November 2021
21 October 2021
05 October 2021 | Genoa, Italy
15 September 2021
26 July 2021 | Caprera, Italy
22 July 2021 | Balearic Islands, Spain
01 July 2021
09 August 2020
30 March 2020 | Lake Norman, NC
31 October 2019 | Barcelona, Spain
30 September 2019 | Mallorca, Spain
15 September 2019 | Sardinia, Italy
08 September 2019 | Pantelleria, Italy
31 August 2019 | Favignana, Italy
22 August 2019 | Vulcano, Italy
17 August 2019 | Charlotte, NC and Gaeta, Italy

Better late than never

17 August 2019 | Charlotte, NC and Gaeta, Italy



We usually get back to Berkeley East from our winter break by mid April. A couple weeks of boat prep and we're off on another cruising adventure. But last fall, we decided to do some much-needed work on our home in North Carolina. What began as "deferred maintenance" (paint, new driveway, etc.), turned into a major refit project that will enhance our life on the lake, but it also extended our land break this year significantly. Bad weather, expanded project scope, delayed materials, missing sub-contractors; we thought the work would never be completed. April became May, May turned to June, June quickly rolled into July; every week we would change our flights to Rome and cross our fingers that the rain would stop and the crews would show.









While there was a time when one of us thought the boat life should be a full-time existence, we have discovered that we are not cold-weather cruisers, nor are we fond of living on Berkeley East in a marina over winter, and crossing oceans every six months to chase after summer is just too much work for us, not to mention very taxing on BE. After 12 years of cruising on Berkeley East, we both now feel that a comfortable home base is crucial to a balanced life. So missing a few months of cruising was a necessary sacrifice.

Having owned five homes, one might assume we have experienced the trials and tribulations of a remodel before. But prior to moving to North Carolina, we always bought new homes and moved before any real work was required. So for us, remodeling was foreign territory, in our own country. We were naïve remodel newbies who thought we could put a 26-foot hole in the back of the house in the middle of February and be good to go in just a couple of months. As we had been told, time and time again, by intelligent people that we trust, any remodel is a slippery slope with surprises that always make the project take longer, and cost more, than expected. We ignored the warnings, as we have watched many episodes of "Fixer Upper" and everything always gets done quickly, inexpensively and it always turns out beautiful.









One of our goals in remodeling our house was to extend our time outdoors. Given that we are sailing Berkeley East from April to October, we miss some of the best months on the lake. So we opened the view, and added a porch where we will be able catch the winter sunsets over the lake in comfort.






That was the beginning of the slippery slope. We never planned to replace all of the exterior cedar shingles; it just made sense, what with all the woodpecker holes. What we didn't realize is that the new cement shingles took weeks to ship across country. We also never expected to replace much of the landscaping, but we thought the neighbors and HOA might have a problem with the mud after the tractors destroyed the grass. Little did we know that all the good landscapers were booked months in advance. We added a new bathroom while we waited.






While the delays were frustrating, the result is fantastic.












And there was yet another bright side to our cruising postponement: we got to spend more time on the lake, with our lake friends, in summer. Dinners, parties, skiing, floating, the Fourth of July. This was the first Independence Day that we have spent in the US in nine years. Watching fireworks from boats flying American flags with people singing "Proud to be an American" as loud, and off key, as possible; it was absolutely fabulous.















As we started seeing the light at the end of the remodel tunnel, we shifted into boat mode. We were worried about BE. While we knew she was in good hands with our friends in Gaeta Italy, this was the longest period of time in 12 years that we had not had eyes on her. We looked at our typical boat-prep list and wondered how we could possibly accomplish it all in the blistering August heat. We typically spend two full days on ladders waxing BE's 54-foot hull alone. And while we love the rewards of making her look so beautiful, we were not looking forward to doing that work in 90+ degrees. Kudos to the Captain for hiring the marina crew to do the hull polishing this time, a big bunch of Euros and Berkeley East would be shiny on our return. Who are we gonna leave it to anyway?

And the moment we saw BE, we knew it was money well spent. As the perspiration poured off our heads, BE's hull was glistening in the August sunlight. We still had the coach house and cockpit to wax, along with all our other chores, but we both breathed a sigh of relief that one big project could be ticked off the list.






People wondered why we didn't just skip this season and stay home to enjoy our nearly new house. It was August for gosh sake, and we would soon be doing all the boat prep to leave Berkeley East for winter. The thought had crossed our minds, but BE needed to get out of the European Union to clear her VAT (Value Added Tax) clock and she couldn't move herself. Any US-flagged boat can only be in all EU countries for 18 months collectively without checking into a non-EU country, so our cruiser responsibilities took precedence over admiring our remodel success. We had also already booked Berkeley East into Barcelona's Port Vell for the winter, so while it will be a short cruising season, it should be an exciting one.

Even with the hull waxing completed before we arrived, it still took 10 days of solid work in grueling temperatures and sky-high humidity to get Berkeley East ship shape, provisioned, and ready to roll. We still don't understand how the Italians can walk around in heat of the day in jeans, long sleeve shirts and no hat without even breaking a sweat. We got through all the work in as little clothes as possible, and what we call "cloud cleaning," a method of working below until a cloud shrouds the sun, then running up on deck to finish a topside chore.




When we speak Italian and the Italians speak English, we forget how easy it is to misinterpret conversations. When ordering 18 bottles (or three six-packs) of water to keep us going until we had BE's water maker fully operational, 18 bottles was heard as 18 six-packs, or 108 - 1.5 liter bottles of water. While we had been consuming water at an alarming rate, this was a lot of H2O, but we didn't have the heart to tell our new friend Danny about the misunderstanding after he had hauled it all to the dock. Stowing the 108 bottles on board was a challenge.


Although August isn't the ideal time to re-commission BE, it gave us an opportunity to spend time in Gaeta in the high season. In August it is full of life with Italians on holiday; festivals, concerts, puppet shows, open-air markets, lively restaurants, quite the contrast to the sleepy town we have come to know in the spring and fall.


Festa di Madonna di Porto Salvo also known as - "The Feast Day of the Sea" is a tradition dating back to 1926, when a specially decorated boat carrying the statue of "La Madonna del Mare" on its stern takes to the sea. Other boats await the Madonna and follow in procession outside the port, where prayers are said for the safety of sailors and fishermen while a garland of flowers is tossed into the water.










As we paid our substantial marina bill to get Berkeley East out of hock, and said our last goodbye to Gaeta Jane (as we have come to call our friend, interpreter, problem solver, and BE's guardian while we were away), we left open the possibility of a return some day. After all, we didn't plan to come to Gaeta two years ago; we were headed to Spain. And we never ever imagined that we would come back to Gaeta again last year; we were going to Spain. So anything is possible. But first: Ponza, Sicily, Pantelleria, Tunisia, Sardinia, and Spain.








One last look at the USS Mount Whitney watching over our Gaeta marina.
Comments
Vessel Name: Berkeley East
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 54
Hailing Port: San Diego, CA
Crew: Larry & Mary Ivins
About: We quit our jobs in July of 2007 and began our adventure, sailing the US east coast in the summers and then spending our winters in the Caribbean. In 2010 we sailed across the Atlantic and will be cruising the Med for the next few years.
Extra:
FAQ Q: Did you go to UC Berkeley?

A: No. The name Berkeley East came from a ferry boat, "the Berkeley", that we met on over 30 years ago in San Diego. The East came as a result of seeing the boat being built in Taiwan. There was 30-foot Chinese symbol on the wall behind her during [...]
Berkeley East's Photos - Caribbean 1500 2008 (Main)
Street art from our 2019 stay in Barcelona
25 Photos
Created 7 November 2019
Photos for blog post
15 Photos
Created 2 August 2016
18 Photos
Created 17 May 2013
Extra pictures for Croatia
12 Photos
Created 5 September 2012
Venice June 2012
20 Photos
Created 12 July 2012
Tuscany trip summer 2011
30 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
Pictures from June 2011 - The Ligurian Coast of Italy
29 Photos
Created 29 June 2011
Wardrick Wells - Exuma Land and Sea Park May 2009
11 Photos
Created 4 May 2009
6 Photos
Created 22 April 2009
20 Photos
Created 21 April 2009
24 Photos
Created 19 April 2009
Pictures from our trip to Los Testigos, Venezuela - March 2009
5 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
4 Photos
Created 28 March 2009
Pics form the 2008 Caribbean 1500
No Photos
Created 26 November 2008
Octopuses Garden � Highborne, Exuma Cay, Bahamas
15 Photos
Created 22 May 2008
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2008
13 Photos
Created 28 January 2008
Chistmas 2007 in St Maarten with other crusiers and Mike and Linda (frends & meighbors from CA)
6 Photos
Created 28 January 2008
5 Photos
Created 23 December 2007
5 Photos
Created 21 November 2007
3 Photos
Created 5 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 28 August 2007
7 Photos
Created 28 August 2007
6 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
In early July 2006 we made a quick from Sydney, Australia to Kaohsiung, Taiwan to check on the construction of our Hylas 54. She was a little behind schedule, but the build quality was excellent.
4 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
4 Photos
Created 17 July 2007
After 28 days aboard Sigrun Bolten from Taiwan, Berkeley East arrived in Port Everglades Florida. Mary and I helped unload her and motored up the river to be hauled and rigged. We where joined by our friends and next door neighbors (from CA), who were in Florida cruising from California to the Caribbean.
5 Photos
Created 17 July 2007

Profile & FAQs

Who: Larry & Mary Ivins
Port: San Diego, CA

Our travels

Itinerary:

July 2019- Return to Gaeta, Italy

August 2019 - Gaeta to Sicily, Tunisia and Sardinia

September 2019 - The Spanish Balearic Islands

October 2019 -Barcelona Spain

November 2019 - Charlotte, NC