16 August 2014 | Neah Bay
We began our great adventure as noted in the last post but with a few ehh exceptions and detours. To begin with when we left the yard again (CSR) it was under somewhat undesirable conditions as a few things were not to up to my expectations. Such as the new max prop was not tuned any better than the new rigging. The problem being the prop was set to the spec table provided by PYI and not to the design parameters of my boat. Then the new rigging replacement and subsequent assembly process was less than desirable situation mainly due to the rigger from the Shilshole area I had hired. Now don't get me wrong the guy who shall not be named from all reports was more than capable but his time management skills sucked! The supplier of the rigging Port Townsend Rigging was very professional and does quality work, having good business practices. However as far as the rigger was concerned his boat was more important than mine as it seemed to have priority and consequently my mast sat in the yard for more than sixty days before any noticeable work was performed. And only after I became intensely involved to apply some definitive project management skills. Not only did I have to personally make several trips to Port Townsend to deliver and retrieve parts but I also had to perform various other gopher duties.
Then to beat all he beat feet mid-day of the install and putting the mast back in the boat! So there I was in the yard with him telling me the yard boys were qualified to complete a job he had only minimal involvement while he ran off to San Francisco to a money job. Now somewhat, the guys were for all appearances knowledgeable, it was only late that I was once again reminded that appearances are deceiving.
Therefore we spent a few days we spent a few days working with the divers (Double J Diving) to tune the prop but there was this nagging cranial pressure in the back of my skull screaming for me to make a pit stop as it were in Port Townsend to have them take a look at the rigging. This was indeed a prudent decision on the way out of Dodge. In hind sight or rather early on in the project a realization I should have done from the start. As when the crew of the good ship Between da Sheets checked in with them the first thing Dan said was "this ain't right". He spent half the day or more undoing the tuning job and re-tuning the rig as it was leaning to the starboard side of the boat and the back stay was not tight enough. Fortunately we motored over and didn't attempt to raise the sails. After this we were off; yeeehaa.