free as a bird

19 April 2014 | Warderick Wells Exumas
19 April 2014 | Warderick Wells Exumas
31 March 2014 | Nassau Harbour Club Marina
01 March 2014 | Boot Key, Marathon, FL
19 April 2011 | Warderick Wells Exumas
02 April 2011 | George Town Exuma
11 March 2011 | Warderick Wells
30 April 2010 | Nassau Bahamas
15 April 2010 | Rock Sound Harbor, Eleuthera
31 March 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island, Bahamas
20 March 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island, Bahamas
15 March 2010 | Georgetown Bahamas
27 February 2010 | Nassau Bahamas
19 February 2010 | Marathon, FL
25 January 2010 | Useppa Island
18 January 2010 | Shell Island, Panama City, FL
29 April 2009 | Georgetown
14 April 2009 | Georgetown Bahamas
03 April 2009 | Warderick Wells-Exuma Park
24 March 2009 | Nassau, Bahamas

Cruising 2010

19 February 2010 | Marathon, FL
Gail Bermel/Partly Cloudy/N10
I didn't keep my word. Sorry. I said I would update the blog each week. Well, we did leave Useppa and sailed down to the Keys. We can only sail through the Keys (Little Spanish Key) at high tide. We got there about 2 hours early. The conditions were not at all what was forecasted. The waves were to be 2.3 feet, wind 15-18. Well the waves were easily 6 feet with an occasional 8 foot renegade and winds 20-23. That was the 2 longest hours of our whole trip.

Two hours later, we pulled up anchor (it didn't drag at all) and sailed into Marathon at Boot Key. If you've followed our blog in the past, you know that it is a sailing community with hundreds of moorings. It reminds me of a retirement community of Rvs, except your dinghy is your car. For the last month, we have been doing normal things. Cleaning, reading, washing clothes, walking to stores and restaurants, and watching beautiful sunrises and sunsets. Same things most people do except go to work. Remember, it is a dog-friendly community. Keesi can go anywhere we go, even in restaurants and taxis.

A few things of interest have happened. The motor on the dinghy quit. It was in the shop for a week. A reputable "motor man" couldn't fix it. Frank bought another used motor. It was exactly like the one we had. When I saw it, I asked him if they sold him his own motor. Then we ordered new batteries for the boat. Took about a week to get those. I mention that because, weather windows have been rare since we have been here. Only one time were the conditions optimum for crossing to the Bahamas and we were waiting on the motor and batteries, so we couldn't go.

Well, we are heading out in the morning. It isn't the best conditions for sailing, but we will likely motor a lot and sail when we can. The wind direction isn't the best, but it will be light and should be an okay trip. It takes about 36 hours to get to Morgan's Bluff in the Bahamas. There is no communication there, but we'll go on to Nassau within a few days after that.

We are anxious to get to the Bahamas. Now, we should be able to blog about once a week with new chapters in our adventure. Until next time, good days to all!!