free as a bird

19 April 2014 | Warderick Wells Exumas
19 April 2014 | Warderick Wells Exumas
31 March 2014 | Nassau Harbour Club Marina
01 March 2014 | Boot Key, Marathon, FL
19 April 2011 | Warderick Wells Exumas
02 April 2011 | George Town Exuma
11 March 2011 | Warderick Wells
30 April 2010 | Nassau Bahamas
15 April 2010 | Rock Sound Harbor, Eleuthera
31 March 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island, Bahamas
20 March 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island, Bahamas
15 March 2010 | Georgetown Bahamas
27 February 2010 | Nassau Bahamas
19 February 2010 | Marathon, FL
25 January 2010 | Useppa Island
18 January 2010 | Shell Island, Panama City, FL
29 April 2009 | Georgetown
14 April 2009 | Georgetown Bahamas
03 April 2009 | Warderick Wells-Exuma Park
24 March 2009 | Nassau, Bahamas

Cruising 2010

27 February 2010 | Nassau Bahamas
Gail Bermel/Mostly Cloudy/80 degrees
Well we headed out, as we said in our last blog entry. (I lost track of which days, we did what.) We were a little tentative because you don't cross the gulf stream with winds from the north more than 10 knots, it makes the waves very angry. The forecast was 8-10...for me that is borderline and I get a little anxious. When we set out and the winds before the gulf stream were higher than forecast, we turned back after 3 hours concluding we couldn't trust the rest of the forecast not to exceed 10 knot when crossing the gulf stream.

It was only two more days before we got a perfect forecast, 10-15 knots from the southeast. Got everything ready to go before we went to bed. Overnight the winds blew a lot harder than forecast. Got up the next morning, the winds were 20-25 and gusting to 30. Where did this come from?!?!?!

We concluded we may never get perfect conditions, so the next day when those winds laid down, we took off and motored. Almost no wind, not the goal of a sailing vessel, but we were wanting to experience the warm, sunny days in the Bahamas. (Florida had been cold.) Right before we got to Nassau, the winds increased on the nose of the boat. We pulled into a protective Frazer's Hog Cay (pronounced key) for two nights, then headed out with a light breeze and the slow rock of the boat that will put you to sleep. Five hours later, we were in Nassau, our destination since last November. Warm, I said? It was in the 50s the first two nights and we had to bundle from a cold wind during the day. But, it is the Bahamas, the water is green, you can see to the bottom at all times. Aaahhh, it is still paradise.

We hooked up with three other boats at Frazer's and sail to Nassau. One boat caught 2-3 Mahi Mahi fish underway. Although, we are at a marina (the weather is supposed to howl for the next week), we got together our first night and grilled fish and each boat brought a side. It was a "king's meal" and the beginning of what we enjoy so about cruising, people.

We are likely to stay put for a week, but what can I say about being "stranded" in Nassau Bahamas, plenty to do, plenty to see, lots of good people. Until next time.....l.

Comments