free as a bird

19 April 2014 | Warderick Wells Exumas
19 April 2014 | Warderick Wells Exumas
31 March 2014 | Nassau Harbour Club Marina
01 March 2014 | Boot Key, Marathon, FL
19 April 2011 | Warderick Wells Exumas
02 April 2011 | George Town Exuma
11 March 2011 | Warderick Wells
30 April 2010 | Nassau Bahamas
15 April 2010 | Rock Sound Harbor, Eleuthera
31 March 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island, Bahamas
20 March 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island, Bahamas
15 March 2010 | Georgetown Bahamas
27 February 2010 | Nassau Bahamas
19 February 2010 | Marathon, FL
25 January 2010 | Useppa Island
18 January 2010 | Shell Island, Panama City, FL
29 April 2009 | Georgetown
14 April 2009 | Georgetown Bahamas
03 April 2009 | Warderick Wells-Exuma Park
24 March 2009 | Nassau, Bahamas

Cruisin' '09

12 March 2009 | Boot Key
Gail Bermel/ Sunny 85/Wind E12
Well, we had a fairly nice sail to Venice initially. Later, the wind picked up and clocked to the back making the waves a little rough. Didn't last too long until we entered the jetty and of course, calm waters immediately. (We watched the Coast Guard helicopter search for the football players on the way.) We couldn't find available deep enough water to anchor, so we had to dock at the Crow's Nest at the last minute.

Since we had two days to get to Sanibel (the place we jump off to cross to the Keys), this area is so nice, we hung there for a day. The next morning we moved around the point to the anchorage. To our pleasant surprise, there was room on the city dock. There is a free dock that has room for about three boats, built next to a very small city park. It is a cool, lovely place. We took the last spot so Keesi could sit at the back of the boat and look out over the water. And boy did she get a thrill! One huge dolphin appeared soon after we docked. It swam behind the boat for 45 minutes to an hour. Three times during that time, it propelled itself fiercely through the water to catch a fish. Once we saw the fish jump up twice before the dolphin succeeded. Sorry for the fish, but he was apparently further down on the food chain than the dolphin.

The next morning we moved on down to Useppa Island. It is a private island, stated to be exclusive for the elite and famous, but the anchorage there is very good. It is right across from Cabbage Key, where there is a restaurant. We ate there last trip, but decided to stay on board this time (except to take Keesi to the ladies room).

The next morning, we left for Sanibel. At St. James City, right before entering the Gulf, we anchored, took Keesi to shore, then secured the dinghy and motor for the crossing. It was really a nice crossing for the most part. In the early morning, the wind shifted enough to bring the waves into the boat at a rough angle, but it only lasted a few hours. We had a strange experience. We looked into the water and what seemed to be about 20-30 feet away from the boat was a small, red light. At first we thought it was a lighted "pot" (buoy tied to a crab trap that we must avoid.) It seemed to stay in the same place, we weren't pulling away from it. After 15-20 minutes, we seemed to finally be passing it. It appeared to be only a few feet off the port transom, but instead of a red light, it was two white lights. The only thing I can think of is it was an illusion, a boat way off in the distance that somehow looked very small and close.

We arrived at Spanish Key an hour before high tide. We secured our sails and went on. The trip through that area to Marathon is very shallow and we can only make it at high tide. There was no available mooring at Boot Key when we arrived, so we took a slip at the marina, washed down the boat, then got a mooring ball the next day (Sunday, March 8).

This is such a nice place. Our dinghy is our car. Monday, I walked a mile to the store. We shopped for a few things, bought some groceries, then took a taxi back. Last night, we had pot luck at the community center with all the boaters. As we were heading back to our dinghy, a couple stopped to love on Keesi. They recognized her from the Bahamas last year. They were Art and Elly on Mini Min. They are a couple from the Netherlands. (People recognize Keesi first, then remember us, we belong to Keesi.)

Tonight (Thursday, March 12), we will dinghy to the Dockside Bar and Grill with Keesi, have dinner, watch the Memphis Tigers basketball game, then watch the shuttle lift off at 8:54 EDT (right at the end of the game). Apparently you must be able to see it from here, they announced it on the Cruisers' net. So, with a full moon two days ago, clear skies and tranquil waters at night, this is my second favorite place in my paradise experiences (of course, nights on board in the Bahamas is hard to beat).

We plan to sail across to the Bahamas beginning Sunday. The weather looks good. Depending on whether or not we sail straight through or anchor and catch a nap, we should be in Nassau late Monday or Tuesday. Watch for our next update late next week (or as soon as I can get internet access). Wish you were all here with us. We love you, all.




Comments