free as a bird

19 April 2014 | Warderick Wells Exumas
19 April 2014 | Warderick Wells Exumas
31 March 2014 | Nassau Harbour Club Marina
01 March 2014 | Boot Key, Marathon, FL
19 April 2011 | Warderick Wells Exumas
02 April 2011 | George Town Exuma
11 March 2011 | Warderick Wells
30 April 2010 | Nassau Bahamas
15 April 2010 | Rock Sound Harbor, Eleuthera
31 March 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island, Bahamas
20 March 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island, Bahamas
15 March 2010 | Georgetown Bahamas
27 February 2010 | Nassau Bahamas
19 February 2010 | Marathon, FL
25 January 2010 | Useppa Island
18 January 2010 | Shell Island, Panama City, FL
29 April 2009 | Georgetown
14 April 2009 | Georgetown Bahamas
03 April 2009 | Warderick Wells-Exuma Park
24 March 2009 | Nassau, Bahamas

Cruisin' '09

24 March 2009 | Nassau, Bahamas
Gail Bermel/ Partly Sunny 85/Wind E18
Well, we took off from Marathon as scheduled; however, the weather changed so we anchored out for two nights instead of one. This presented us with a once-in-a-lifetime experience. While we were sitting in the cockpit of the boat on Sunday evening, we were able to see the shuttle launch. What a sight even from 100 miles away, such a path of orange fire from the ground through the clouds. Frank saw it drop the parts it loses (boosters, maybe). Nevertheless, several minutes into the launch, one cloud in the sky turned the most remarkable silver color. It wasn't any color I've ever seen the skies able to produce. It was bright, metallic silver and it held its color for 20-30 minutes. What a sight it was!!

We left for the Bahamas Tuesday morning. It was a nice sail initially. Then it turned into 15-25 knots on the nose all the way across. We had two choices, fall off and change course or pound into the wind. Well the forecast was for really light wind, so we held our course expecting the weather to change. It didn't lighten up until a few hours before we got to Morgan's Bluff, nothing dangerous, merely uncomfortable. Morgan's Bluff was really nice, quiet, secluded as long as the wind didn't come from the north. The next morning we were listening to Chris Parker (SSB Radio weatherman); he keeps the boaters up on the weather. He commented that the forecasted weather was a day late getting there. Basically, we waited a extra day in Florida to sail in the weather we tried to avoid. Who knew! Weather is tricky sometimes, to put it mildly. We cleared customs and left Friday, the 20th for Nassau.

That sail was the most wonderful since we left Niceville. The roll of the ocean was hypnotizing. You could look at the horizon and see the swell from left to right as far as you could see. There seemed to be only 4 or 5 swells from the horizon to the boat. The swell would slowly rise above the horizon as it approached. Yet, you could barely feel it when one got to the boat. It could rock you to sleep. When we got to the opening of the harbor, we fell off (changed our course) and yielded to a monster cruise ship. It was the biggest one I've ever seen, worthy of a picture.

We are in a marina in Nassau because the wind is higher than recommended for crossing the Yellow Banks, which has some coral heads that you must avoid. We should head out Wednesday, March 25 with several other boats, some we were with in Marathon (Mom - one skipper is named Everett). We are heading for the Land and Sea park (Shroud Cay and Warderick Wells); in my opinion, the most beautiful reefs and wildlife we saw last year.

Until next time, may God less us all