Eagle's Big Left Turn

Now that La Paz is our temporary home, for now, travel with us as we explore Baja and other Mexico destinations, learning about the riches that Mexico has to offer with it's history and people.

21 March 2018 | Havelock, South Island, New Zealand
06 January 2018 | La Paz
12 December 2017 | La Paz
23 July 2017 | La Paz Poolside
26 June 2017 | Seattle
02 June 2017 | La Paz
16 March 2017 | La Paz
15 March 2017 | La Paz
14 March 2017 | La Paz
13 March 2017 | La Paz
11 March 2017 | La Paz
07 March 2017 | La Paz
04 March 2017 | La Paz
27 February 2017 | Puerto Lopez Mateos
27 January 2017 | El Sargento on the beach
24 January 2017 | La Ventana
21 January 2017 | La Paz
19 January 2017 | Tlaquepaque, Guadalajara
23 December 2016 | La Paz
24 November 2016 | Seattle

Post op day 6, Hotel day #3

11 July 2016 | zapopan, Guadalajara
Jeanne Morning awesome thunderstorm/rain, sunny afternoon
Yesterday after writing that last blog – twice, as there is one version lost in the ethers, and a shower, I was pretty wiped out.

We stayed in the room all day, ordering in for dinner. I had a craving for spaghetti. Fortunately, or not, depending upon ones waistline, there is a very good Italian restaurant right next door. In fact, my window looks out on their exhaust fans… I know when the ovens are fired up!

Gaby had been over to pick up a menu during a previous order. We had noted that they had Friday Saturday and Sunday specials. However, last week, Tom and I were going to eat there before hospital time and found they were closed. A glance out the window yesterday showed lots of smoke from the wood oven vent! Thinking last week was a fluke Sunday closing we called to order, my taste buds ready for good Italian spaghetti…But, no, they are closed Sunday and Monday. So room service from the hotel it was.

So I ordered spaghetti, a pile of pasta with some Bolognese tossed on top. Esta es horible! ( I’m practicing my Spanish).
I'm pretty sure there wasn’t a tomato anywhere near the dish. Gaby ordered an enselada de cesar which was swimming in dressing.
We had ordered room service before and this was way below anything else Tom and Gaby and I had experienced.

Anyway, we at least filled our bellies. I had the best night sleep in quite some time – I didn’t wake up until 7 this morning. I felt refreshed, and my leg felt ‘different’ - less swelling, I think. We decided that since dinner had been crappy, our usual fruit and yogurt breakfast just wasn’t going to work. A couple of orders of juevos rancheros arrived and were quickly eaten.

I felt strong enough for a stroll today, at least an attempt. So after making arrangements with the maid, we got dressed and crutched it down the hall -100 feet or so, making one rest stop, turning the corner for another rest stop and 50’ to the elevator to the main floor.

As we excited the elevator the entire central courtyard and bar – our destination for the comfy chairs- was filled with diners having the hotel’s famous buffet breakfast. We thought that it had something to do with the torrential rain this morning – water level at the street was above midline of hub caps- thinking maybe the restaurant had flooded. No, they are in the process of remodeling the kitchen in the restaurant. Now our crummy food for dinner made lots of sense. They’re working out of a small kitchen on the main floor, slightly more than a butlers pantry.

We think we’ll stick to quesadillas for our room service orders. Then left overs can be heated with the hairdryer!

So after sitting in a corner of the courtyard for a while and people watching we headed back to our room with only one rest stop along the way. I definitely feel stronger today.

Anyway, about that shower.
First of all, remember that I’m totally relying on crutches. You should also know that Mexico is extremely fond of tile and marble. Ok now think what happens when you put water on that tile… add some rubber footed crutches and one has the potential for disaster! I’m always on the look out for water drops in the bathroom and anywhere else where the mix of water and rubber could be really bad!

The shower is the perfect size for me in my current ambulatory state. It’s about 24 “ wide, and 56” long shower head to opposite wall. The floor of the shower is also recessed about ¼” which makes for a nice ‘stop’ for the crutches. The maid had brought us a plastic chair that would fit in there. We also spread several math mats on the outside of the shower for walking on when I was done.

Gaby had showered first and was ‘water aware’ when she finished. I followed shortly, soon enough that I thought the water might still be warm. I crutched in carefully, crutch tips against walls, turned around and sat on the plastic chair, wet with cool water. I turned on the water and Yikes! It’s really cold!
Now I’ve been spritzed with the water and most of me is at least moist. It’s at this point that I remember that for this very occasion I’ve purchased a waterproof leg covering, now referred to as the ‘elephant condom’!

Its got a 14’ rigid ring at the top, bright blue. Attached to the middle of this ring is a fairly tight rubber gasket material with a 4” hole in the middle. On the underneath side is attached heavy gauge plastic ‘sheath’ 42” long and about 15” seam to side seam, creating a waterproof showering bag (condom) for injured and casted legs.

Ok, so back to the lightly misted, chilled body…… Crap! I remember that while my bandages are waterproof, Dr Jaime wanted me to use this especially since I’d brought it along.

Gaby standing outside the shower door, in case of emergency, came to the rescue. Let’s just say that this item was designed to be put on a ‘dry’ leg, and definitely for one that is not as swollen at the thigh as mine is. Me, one legged, balanced against the slippery, wet marble floors, and Gaby trying to get this flippin’ thing on my sticky, damp leg without hurting me or placing the tight gasket on any of the incisions was amusing…. At least by the time we got it somewhat in place most of the leg was covered from anymore water…. And we were laughing. But there was a fair amount of water inside!

Unfortunately, I won’t be using it again as it is supposed to secure around the leg right where my most painful spot is… and it’s hard to shave your leg through 8 mil plastic! One has to be a bit vain during an experience such as this.

If anyone knows of an elephant that is looking for ‘protection’ or is ‘self interested’… just let me know! However….. I may want visual proof that the ‘self interested’ individual is worthy! Any takers?
Comments
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Make/Model: Freeport Islander
Hailing Port: Des Moines, Washington
Crew: Tom Brown & Jeanne Walker
About:
Tom, an avid speed boater for many years, fell in love with sailing shortly after falling in love with Jeanne. Prior to sailing, if his boats didn't go fast enough, he'd buy a bigger engine. He's readily adjusted to traveling at much slower speeds and enjoying the ride. [...]
Extra: This is the story of the love, tears, sweat and bruises on the path of this adventure. We're glad you're joining us!
Eagle's Photos - Main
a few more random images of the past 10 years
12 Photos
Created 15 July 2015
A random sampling of images of the past 10 years. Enjoy.
49 Photos
Created 14 July 2015
The children of the shelter get a day of play at the beach.
60 Photos
Created 22 July 2014
Selected images of Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay and Ketchikan
60 Photos
Created 23 September 2013
Selected images around the islands
66 Photos
Created 19 February 2012
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2012
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2012
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2012
14 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
16 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
20 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
6 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
18 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
A short walk from Man 'o War Cove at Magdalena Bay
20 Photos
Created 17 December 2011
There's a reason it's called Cabo Crazy!
13 Photos
Created 5 December 2011
The sights, angst and scenery of entering a foreign country!
20 Photos
Created 5 December 2011
out and about in Channel Islands/Oxnard
10 Photos
Created 5 December 2011
A few selections of the passage around Pt Conception, the 'Cape Horn of the Pacific' to Channel Islands Harbor/Oxnard.
5 Photos
Created 5 December 2011
Thanksgiving 2011 in paradise
13 Photos
Created 5 December 2011
A collection of photos as we explored the area.
18 Photos
Created 5 December 2011
Collection of photos from our time in Avalon Harbor
20 Photos
Created 5 December 2011
Some photos of all the fun things Lefty saw and got to do while we visited San Francisco>
50 Photos
Created 17 September 2011
Our little eaglet, Lefty as he travels around, sharing our adventure with us.
33 Photos
Created 22 July 2011
Some of our favorite pictures as we travel north and south through the area
12 Photos
Created 22 July 2011
With out a doubt, our favorite spot in the Desolation Sound area.
6 Photos
Created 22 July 2011
A beautiful spot, just north of Desolation Sound
17 Photos
Created 22 July 2011
This is a few of our pictures as we tour the area, 2011
5 Photos
Created 22 July 2011
A collection of photos from the epic party held in Des Moines with our all our family and friends celebrating our departure (humm have to think about that)
24 Photos
Created 27 April 2011
A small group of pictures from our time in the CSR boat yard in Des Moines. This is hopefully our last time in the yard before we take off for Canada and then Mexico
14 Photos
Created 20 March 2011
Pictures of our girl, out doing what she does best...Sail!!
8 Photos
Created 12 December 2010
This a collection of pictures of the things we have done to improve the deck of the boat.
6 Photos
Created 16 September 2010
A few pictures of the frame work we built to hold the jerry jugs secure, and the awesome covers that Jeanne has sewn. This system will give us eight (40 gallons) of deisel, 5 gallons of regular gasoline, and five gallons of emergency potable water.
3 Photos
Created 31 May 2010
Our new wind steering equipent, being installed and ready to use!!
6 Photos
Created 31 May 2010
Just some fun pictures of our sails, including our more colorfull spinnakers
4 Photos
Created 25 May 2010
We had an invitation from some very good friends, Dale and Cynthia to spend a long weekend at their beautiful home in Scottsdale Arizona!! We had a blast!! Here is a brief sample of the pictures we took while we were down there
4 Photos
Created 9 February 2010
we added a new AIS tracking system and tied it into the chart plotter. This shows how we installed it.
2 Photos
Created 18 December 2009
5 Photos
Created 18 December 2009
The boat came from the factory with just a two sided ice box. With the fact that it was almost 9 square feet we felt that we could add some additional insulation and not compromise the needed space.
7 Photos
Created 18 December 2009
While one of the amazing features of the "B" Plan Freeport is the amount of storage, we have done a few things to increase the space or useability of that area
5 Photos
Created 13 December 2009
In an effort to remove the stress out of our manual windlass (Tom's Back) we have installed a new Lewmar windlass and upgraded the bow roller
15 Photos
Created 7 December 2009
This is a group of pictures that might be of interest to somebody. There are many small projects that we have done, but really dont rate a full album to their own.
21 Photos
Created 1 December 2009
Repair and up grade of the Nav station
6 Photos
Created 30 November 2009
Just few of the electronic goodies that we have added to hopefully make our crusing adventures easier
3 Photos
Created 30 November 2009
Changing out the old yellow counter tops and faucet for something a little more up to date!!
5 Photos
Created 30 November 2009
Some photos of us changing the toe rail from teak to extruded aluminum
2 Photos
Created 30 November 2009
Showing off the new solar panels and Blue Sky regulators
6 Photos
Created 30 November 2009
Complete rewire with new AC/DC panels and a battery management system
4 Photos
Created 30 November 2009
The first few days when Eagle was still on the hard in Portland and when she was trucked up to Seattle
3 Photos
Created 29 November 2009
A series of photos showing the repowering of Eagle with her new Vetus engine
8 Photos
Created 29 November 2009

The Crew

Who: Tom Brown & Jeanne Walker
Port: Des Moines, Washington

Where Are We?