Big Surprise

Vessel Name: Surprise
Vessel Make/Model: Niagara 42
Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
17 April 2015
12 April 2015 | Abacos
31 March 2015 | Warderick Wells
16 March 2015 | Great Exuma
16 March 2015 | Thompson Bay, LI
28 February 2015 | Long Island, Bahamas
22 February 2015 | Between Staniel and Georgetown
09 February 2015 | Warderick Wells, Exumas
07 February 2015 | Warderick Wells, Exumas, Bahamas
03 February 2015 | Highborne Cay, Exumas
01 February 2015 | Nassau
01 February 2015 | Nassau
01 February 2015 | Bahamas
16 January 2015 | Rivera Beach, Florida
15 January 2015 | Riviera Beach FL
18 November 2014
12 November 2014 | Green Cove Springs
04 November 2014 | Bewfort
28 October 2014 | Whiteside Creek
Recent Blog Posts
17 April 2015

Man O War Cay

12 April 2015 | Abacos

Hello Abacos!

In one week, Doug and Donna Faust will join us to bring Big Surprise back to Florida. We look forward to having them with us as they are incredible sailors and mechanics. Something is sure to break and I know they always have duct tape in their pockets.

31 March 2015 | Warderick Wells

Lazy Exumas

16 March 2015 | Great Exuma

Swimming with the pigs

It has been uncommonly windy in the Bahamas over the last couple of weeks. Strong easterlies at 20-25 knots with swells over 10 feet have limited everyone’s travels. Emerald Bay Marina, just north of Georgetown, is a beautiful place, but I find myself getting used to hot showers, a fitness facility, [...]

16 March 2015 | Thompson Bay, LI

The Green Flash

Does the Green Flash really exist or is it an illusion created by happy hour cocktails? All I know is that we saw several during our stay at Long Island.

28 February 2015 | Long Island, Bahamas

The Other Long Island

The days are getting a little slower, and that's just fine.

In search of the best Conch Fritter

01 February 2015 | Nassau
Linda
If you have been following these blogs, you will remember that we have been plagued by boat repairs along the way. And why should this part of the trip be any different?

Somewhere along the Grand Banks, Chrissy noted smoke coming from the cabin. Upon further investigation, the smoke was actually steam – a small leak from the coolant hose. Quickly fixed with tape, further investigation found a hole in the muffler. And oh, I forgot about the starter that is getting persnickety.

We arrived in Nassau in need of boat repairs. But, Dorothy, this is not Kansas, and tomorrow really means whenever.

We said goodbye to Chrissy and Mike, welcomed our neighbor, Caroline Andrews, who has joined us for a week.

Caroline and I have been enjoying the sites of Nassau as Ed waits for parts, and possibly a mechanic, to help us get this boat out of the marina. It’s tempting to soldier on, or do some temporary sort of repair, but having the cabin fill with exhaust fumes, not to mention carbon monoxide, is not an attractive prospect. So we’ll wait until a proper muffler gets shipped in.

Potter’s Cay was our first stop – rows of food shacks and fresh fish to buy. Conch Fritters are good, but not yet the winner. The Straw Market is the site of the cruise ships – hundreds of people seeking the perfect souvenir to bring back home. A tour of the local rum manufacturer Watlings was my favorite – so good that we already finished the bottle and need to go back for more. Visited the local zoo where we saw flamingos dance; ate rum cakes at a local bakery; played tourist at Atlantis on Paradise Island; and had perhaps the best conch fritters at Frankie’s Gone Bananas at Arawak Cay, another series of food shacks.

And still Ed waits for the parts to fix the boat.

Had drinks last night with some folks from Oak Orchard – it really is a small world. They are moving a boat from Puerto Rico to Miami for some friends.

The weather has been somewhat chilly – in the 70s during the day and low 60s at night. I know that seems like heaven to you as you brace for the storm in the Northeast. Did some snorkeling this week – but the water is a bit cold. The coral and sea life are plentiful.

And still Ed waits for the parts to fix the boat. But it is only Wednesday, and we don’t expect to leave until the weekend. More time to eat Conch Fritters!
Comments

About & Links