Big Surprise

Vessel Name: Surprise
Vessel Make/Model: Niagara 42
Hailing Port: Rochester, NY
17 April 2015
12 April 2015 | Abacos
31 March 2015 | Warderick Wells
16 March 2015 | Great Exuma
16 March 2015 | Thompson Bay, LI
28 February 2015 | Long Island, Bahamas
22 February 2015 | Between Staniel and Georgetown
09 February 2015 | Warderick Wells, Exumas
07 February 2015 | Warderick Wells, Exumas, Bahamas
03 February 2015 | Highborne Cay, Exumas
01 February 2015 | Nassau
01 February 2015 | Nassau
01 February 2015 | Bahamas
16 January 2015 | Rivera Beach, Florida
15 January 2015 | Riviera Beach FL
18 November 2014
12 November 2014 | Green Cove Springs
04 November 2014 | Bewfort
28 October 2014 | Whiteside Creek
Recent Blog Posts
17 April 2015

Man O War Cay

12 April 2015 | Abacos

Hello Abacos!

In one week, Doug and Donna Faust will join us to bring Big Surprise back to Florida. We look forward to having them with us as they are incredible sailors and mechanics. Something is sure to break and I know they always have duct tape in their pockets.

31 March 2015 | Warderick Wells

Lazy Exumas

16 March 2015 | Great Exuma

Swimming with the pigs

It has been uncommonly windy in the Bahamas over the last couple of weeks. Strong easterlies at 20-25 knots with swells over 10 feet have limited everyone’s travels. Emerald Bay Marina, just north of Georgetown, is a beautiful place, but I find myself getting used to hot showers, a fitness facility, [...]

16 March 2015 | Thompson Bay, LI

The Green Flash

Does the Green Flash really exist or is it an illusion created by happy hour cocktails? All I know is that we saw several during our stay at Long Island.

28 February 2015 | Long Island, Bahamas

The Other Long Island

The days are getting a little slower, and that's just fine.

Wife Aboard

09 February 2015 | Warderick Wells, Exumas
Linda
With much reluctance, we will be leaving Warderick Wells in the morning. I think I could have stayed here for the rest of the winter and been quite content. This anchorage is protected from all sides and has some of the most pristine beaches I have ever seen. There is an island where the park staff of about 5 people live. The hiking is great – trails provide a panoramic view of this part of Exuma Park. There are no stores, vending machines, cars, minimal internet, no services at all. The only thing you can buy here is a mooring, a park membership, and an Exuma Park t-shirt – quite a change from Nassau.

We have been able to exist for over a week without the luxury of a marina! We have quickly adapted to bathing with minimal water, loving our solar panels, and creating less garbage. The only thing I really miss are bananas. There is some old sailor’s superstition about bananas being bad luck on a boat and although I don’t generally worry about such things, I’ve decided to respect the tradition, just in case.

Yesterday, there was a bit of excitement for the wedding of Johnny Depp on his island just south of here. There was chatter on the radio about moving boats from one of the southernmost anchorages and a little more plane traffic than usual. No star sightings as yet.

We are both settling in to living on a boat. I am writing a couple courses for my business that I have been wanting to get to for years. I have completed a baby blanket for Ethan and Megan McCourt Merk’s son-to-be and am almost done with a sweater for Julia. Of course, reading time is great – just finished Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn, the same author that wrote Gone Girl – good but just as creepy. Also read the Henrietta Lackes book about HeLa cells – a great read.

We are looking forward to seeing the Breens next week. They bring our mail, some boat parts, new knitting needles, and the company of good friends – something that we miss very much.

Time to call it a night – the captain says we need to shove off early in the morning to make Staniel Cay for lunch.
Comments

About & Links