Photo Albums
18 December 2011
9 Photos
26 March 2011
24 Photos
SailBlogs Friends
inclusionWinds v2.0
AURA

Birvidik

Vessel Name: Birvidik
Vessel Make/Model: Victory 40
Hailing Port: Jersey C.I.
Crew: Bob Newbury
About: Liz Newbury
Extra: 11 years into a 10 year plan, but we get there in the end.
24 December 2023
22 November 2023 | Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.
14 August 2023 | A farce in three acts.
14 August 2023 | Sliding Doors
14 August 2023 | The Game Commences
11 March 2023 | Joseph Heller, eat your heart out.
24 December 2022
26 August 2022 | or 'French Leave'
03 August 2022 | or 'Fings ain't the way they seem'
18 June 2022 | or Desolation Row
22 March 2022 | or "Every Form of Refuge Has its Price
28 October 2021 | and repeat after me - "Help Yourself"
23 September 2021 | Warning - Contains strong language and explicit drug references
23 September 2021 | or Everything's Going to Pot
04 September 2021 | or Out of my league
27 August 2021 | or 'The Whine of the Ancient Mariner
16 August 2021 | Found in marina toilet, torn into squares and nailed to door.
06 August 2021 | or 'The Myth of Fingerprints'
Recent Blog Posts
24 December 2023

The Ghosts of Christmas Past

Those were the days, my friend...

22 November 2023 | Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right

As a fully paid-up Guardianista, I am fully aware that blanket, stereotypic statements along the lines of:

14 August 2023 | A farce in three acts.

Planes, Trains & Automobiles - Preface

OK, I admit it.

On the tenth day to Christmas the Met sent Finike:

28 December 2009

10 Metre waves

9 Tree trunks floating

8 80 knot gusts

7 Shredded foresails

6 Tattered sprayhoods

Sixty three knot winds

4 Sea wall breaches

3 Tons of hail

2 Opened deck joints

And a scared cat behind the PC


It wasn't a bad forecast - Southerly 17 to 20 knots with some rain. And we were snugly tied up in a marina. Feeling smug and blasé Bob gave a quick turn around the deck, gave the lines and fittings a cursory once over and proclaimed everything satisfactory and secure before retiring for the night.

Hah!

We were woken at about 4 a.m. by the wind getting up and it deteriorated steadily from then on. The wind was from the South, blowing over our stern and the single stern line holding Birvidik off the concrete quay was bar-tight. The sky darkened further and the wind increased, howling through the rigging and throwing the boats about in all directions.

The bow was getting worrisomely close to the quay, a situation further complicated by the fact that the wooden buffers attached to it had rotted away, leaving a large, rusty steel bolt protruding 30 cm in the direction of Birvidik's hull. Bob crawled heroically onto the foredeck with the large bow fender, blew it up, positioned it between the bow and the quay and scuttled back into the cockpit.

The rain fell in torrents and the wind continued to increase. It was now blowing at about 45 knots (Force 9). The Southerly wind had a long fetch and had built up large waves pounding straight onto the shore and the marina breakwater. The boats were now rolling so much that the fenders between them were being rolled out, leaving the hulls to bang and grate against each other. Just to exacerbate things we had a large, rusty steel boat next to us which was threatening to give us a good hiding. We had to go out and reposition the fenders about every ten minutes.

The wind continued to increase, now accompanied by thunder and lightning, which grew steadily closer. Suddenly the wind fell to nothing - we were obviously in the eye of the storm, still surrounded by threatening black and purple clouds.

While we were standing in the cockpit, savouring the unnatural calm, there was a loud bang, just like a rifle shot and the boat rang with vibration. Completely disorientated we looked round, trying to identify the source. Then there was another, closely followed by a staccato of more, which steadily increased to a torrent as hailstones the size of eggs clattered down. The kinetic energy in these hailstones was immense and the noise was deafening. We couldn't hear each other even if we shouted at close range. The decibel level was so high that we had to cover our ears or it hurt. We stood there helpless, hoping the Perspex and toughened glass in the wheelhouse and hatches was strong enough to withstand the battering they were receiving. The decks and pontoons were 20 cm deep in hail. Our newly acquired cat completely freaked and skedaddled below to hide in the space behind the computer at the nav station.

Looking afterwards we could see the damage wrought by the hailstones. External instrument sensors had been shattered, the plastic windows in sprayhoods were shredded. A large polycarbonate roof onshore ended up looking like a pepper pot. We got off fairly lightly, with just our lifebuoys and man overboard recovery gear pitted and with chunks missing. Street lamps were shattered and the orange crops devastated. God knows what the hailstones' terminal velocity was, but I suspect they could have inflicted serious damage on an unprotected head.

Then the wind, thunder and lightning returned with a vengeance. It climbed to 50 knots (force 10) and then to 63 knots. At sustained 64 knots and above it is rated hurricane force 12. Huge waves were now bearing down on the shore and marina breakwater. Waves thundered into the breakwater and crashed over it, and water swept across the quays and poured into the marina, which by now had considerable waves of its own, although these paled into insignificance compared with the monsters sweeping past the entrance on their way to taking large chunks out of the town sea wall and promenade.

The electrical activity eased slightly, and just as we were thinking that it was starting to moderate, the sky turned an evil dark yellow-green and all hell was let loose. The thunder and lightning were right on top of us, with nasty similarities to The Unpleasantness at Mourtos and the wind climbed even further, screaming through the rigging and throwing boats about like lottery balls. Several boats lost their foresails, which were torn unfurled by the wind and flapped to shreds within minutes.

There were a series of gusts which were measured at between 70 and 80 knots before the piece de resistance, a gust which screamed in over the starboard quarter. Our inclinometer shows us the amount of lean up to 35 degrees from the vertical. It went right past the stops and still the boat continued to lean more and more, we were knocked almost flat on our side, unable to do anything other than hold on and hope we didn't get caught under the hull of the next door boat or end up with our masts entangled. This did, in fact happen to one of the boats, a 45 foot Bavaria, which caught its capping rail on the next door boat. When the two boats righted, the shear force lifted the Bavaria's deck away from its hull, leaving a large gap.

Slowly, the gust eased, Birvidik returned nearer to the vertical and we could resume moving about and panicking. Over the next two hours things slowly returned to some semblance of normality and the cat tentatively tip-toed out from behind the computer and began to reconsider the wisdom of its current choice of lifestyle.

The heavy rain and hail brought large amounts of flotsam down rivers and roads into the sea, including the marina. The water was thick with mud and covered in a deep layer of tree trunks, twigs and vegetation, which confused the local dogs, who jumped blithely onto it thinking it was just an extension of the devastated land around. Yotties spent many a happy hour pulling confused and disorientated dogs out of the water before the marina staff finished the laborious task of pulling all the flotsam out by hand using garden forks.
Comments
Current Position
Birvidik's Photos - Birvidik (Main)
15 Photos
Created 31 January 2017
3 Photos
Created 16 October 2015
The move from seagoing to rivers and canals
29 Photos
Created 11 October 2015
10 Photos
Created 6 January 2015
18 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
14 Photos
Created 17 February 2014
21 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
4 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 8 August 2013
16 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
11 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
and wintering in Lefkas
19 Photos
Created 6 February 2013
14 Photos
Created 18 August 2012
19 Photos
Created 26 June 2012
5 Photos
Created 18 January 2012
14 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
5 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
9 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
8 Photos
Created 16 October 2011
9 Photos
Created 10 October 2011
10 Photos
Created 11 July 2011
23 Photos
Created 21 June 2011
10 Photos
Created 15 May 2011
44 Photos
Created 21 April 2011
9 Photos
Created 29 March 2011
24 Photos
Created 26 March 2011
12 Photos
Created 25 December 2010
13 Photos
Created 23 December 2010
7 Photos
Created 28 September 2010
10 Photos
Created 21 September 2010
15 Photos
Created 8 August 2010
9 Photos
Created 6 July 2010
12 Photos
Created 28 June 2010
9 Photos
Created 30 May 2010
21 Photos
Created 4 May 2010
20 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
7 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
13 Photos
Created 20 December 2009
11 Photos
Created 20 December 2009
15 Photos
Created 8 September 2009
11 Photos
Created 20 August 2009
13 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
10 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
6 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
12 Photos
Created 19 July 2009
15 Photos
Created 19 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 8 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 2 June 2009
7 Photos
Created 2 June 2009
10 Photos
Created 1 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 23 May 2009
27 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
24 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
9 Photos
Created 10 February 2009
15 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
9 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
22 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
8 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
8 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
15 Photos
Created 13 August 2008
10 Photos
Created 13 August 2008
13 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
5 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
10 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
9 Photos
Created 4 July 2008
12 Photos
Created 6 June 2008
10 Photos
Created 17 May 2008
14 Photos
Created 14 May 2008
17 Photos
Created 20 April 2008
7 Photos
Created 20 April 2008
22 Photos
Created 5 March 2008
6 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
10 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
8 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
7 Photos
Created 30 December 2007
16 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
8 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
8 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
11 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 December 2007
24 Photos
Created 11 November 2007
7 Photos
Created 12 September 2007
12 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
3 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
9 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 3 August 2007
12 Photos
Created 3 August 2007
13 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
7 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
8 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 17 July 2007
3 Photos
Created 17 July 2007
21 Photos
Created 7 July 2007
22 Photos
Created 16 June 2007
16 Photos
Created 16 June 2007
4 Photos
Created 28 May 2007
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
24 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
The trip up the river Guardiana between Spain & Portugal
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
2 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
A selection of the myriad photographs taken over the 6 months in Lagos
37 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
Dia de Cidade festivities & torrential rains
21 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
4 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
3 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
8 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
18 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
18 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
2 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
6 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
7 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
22 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2007

About & Links

Photo Albums
18 December 2011
9 Photos
26 March 2011
24 Photos
SailBlogs Friends
inclusionWinds v2.0
AURA