Photo Albums
26 July 2013
12 Photos
06 July 2010
9 Photos
SailBlogs Friends
inclusionWinds v2.0
AURA

Birvidik

Vessel Name: Birvidik
Vessel Make/Model: Victory 40
Hailing Port: Jersey C.I.
Crew: Bob Newbury
About: Liz Newbury
Extra: 11 years into a 10 year plan, but we get there in the end.
24 December 2023
22 November 2023 | Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.
14 August 2023 | A farce in three acts.
14 August 2023 | Sliding Doors
14 August 2023 | The Game Commences
11 March 2023 | Joseph Heller, eat your heart out.
24 December 2022
26 August 2022 | or 'French Leave'
03 August 2022 | or 'Fings ain't the way they seem'
18 June 2022 | or Desolation Row
22 March 2022 | or "Every Form of Refuge Has its Price
28 October 2021 | and repeat after me - "Help Yourself"
23 September 2021 | Warning - Contains strong language and explicit drug references
23 September 2021 | or Everything's Going to Pot
04 September 2021 | or Out of my league
27 August 2021 | or 'The Whine of the Ancient Mariner
16 August 2021 | Found in marina toilet, torn into squares and nailed to door.
06 August 2021 | or 'The Myth of Fingerprints'
Recent Blog Posts
24 December 2023

The Ghosts of Christmas Past

Those were the days, my friend...

22 November 2023 | Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right

As a fully paid-up Guardianista, I am fully aware that blanket, stereotypic statements along the lines of:

14 August 2023 | A farce in three acts.

Planes, Trains & Automobiles - Preface

OK, I admit it.

Cultured out & weathered in.

16 August 2006 | Still in Aveiro


Still in Aveiro. Uncharacteristically, all the forecasts seem to agree. What they agree on is that one of those ??~unseasonal depressions?? that seem to follow us about has worked out where we are and diverted South East toward Northern Iberia. This has meant that the usually ??~firmly established?? Northerlies have been replaced by a ??~very unusual for this time of year, Squire?? West to South Westerly force 5-8 for the next 3 ??" 4 days.

Quote from the pilot for our next port, Figuera de Foz:

?In strong onshore winds� (i.e. West to South West) ?it can be dangerous. A British yacht was lost in 1997 and waves were breaking all the way across the gap when visited in 1999.�

So, given that our current position is well sheltered, close to an attractive city with all facilities and, most importantly, dead cheap we decided to hole up here until aforementioned unseasonal depression buggers off back where it belongs (over Britain).

In the interim, a visit to Coimbra was planned. This involved taking the Comboio Regional. Buy your tickets in advance and the 120 km round trip costs just �1.50 each. Pleased with our forethought and planning we set off the next morning, tickets clutched in our sweaty little hands, to catch the 9:03 to Coimbra.

Things did not go exactly according to plan.

We arrived at the station in plenty of time, discovered which platform we wanted and waited dutifully for the train. At 08:50 a train pulled up gently to platform 4 as anticipated, but the little sign on the front telling you where it was going seemed to have blown a fuse. Undaunted, Bob asked a nearby station employee if the train went to Coimbra, and was assured that indeed it did. Just to make sure, Bob asked if we needed to be in any particular part of the train. We?? ve had this before where the front part of the train goes to the assigned destination whilst the last two carriages wander off across the country on a frolic of their own. ?Did we already have tickets?� he asked (only in Portuguese). ?Yes� we replied triumphantly. ?Sit wherever you like then� he said, so we did.

The first inkling that things might not quite be completely as they should have been appeared when a woman and her three children arrived, looking pointedly at the numbers on her tickets and at the seat numbers above us. We consulted our tickets, but there were no seat numbers to be found. Despite our offers to move she wandered off and sat further down the carriage.

The second inkling manifested itself when the announcement ?next stop is Coimbra B� came over the loudspeaker. Whilst heartening in itself, the fact that we?? d only been travelling for 18 minutes when the timetable stated that the journey took an hour was somewhat confusing. By now we realised that we?? d got on an intercity express instead of the local chuffer that stopped at every town, village, hamlet and isolated farmhouse on route. It pulled in to Coimbra B a mere 18 minutes after leaving Aveiro. Coimbra A, which was our stop, could only be a few minutes away, and we?? d be in the city 40 minutes early. Smug with our good fortune, we stayed put as the train pulled out of Coimbra B.

20 minutes at 200 kph later it became apparent that either (a) Coimbra was an inordinately large city, or (b) we were now halfway to Lisbon. Given the total absence of buildings over the last 20 minutes or so our money was on (b), and we resolved to get off at the next stop and get a train in the opposite direction.

15 minutes later our chance arrived when we pulled in to Pombal. (Look at your atlas). The good news was that the journey back to Coimbra only cost us �1:20 each. The bad news was that it was a local chuffer and took an hour & 20 minutes. So we finally alighted in Coimbra only 2 � hours after we set off and 1 � hours later than had we got the correct train originally.

Coimbra is the most culturally significant city in Portugal. It was the capital from 1139 ??" 1256. It has one of the world?? s oldest universities dating from 1290, with illustrious buildings and surroundings to match. The university is in the old town, crowning the Alcacova hill which overlooks the deep slopes down to the Mondego river. Everywhere you look there were the usual plethora of old houses, chapels, monasteries, convents, churches, cathedrals, narrow streets winding down stairs to the river.

We wandered round the university, trying to get enthusiastic over the wonders of a seat of learning still operational amongst squares and statuary, some of which was unchanged since before 1066, but it was no good - we?? d had enough. It was all starting to blur into a kaleidoscope of red roofs, squares, sculpture, gilded altars, baroque columns, fountains and monuments; La Coruna, Santiago de Compostela, Bayona, Viana do Castello, Oporto and Coimbra all intermingled and recombined in our addled brains. We were jaded with the wonders of the past. Couldn?? t face one more magnificent example of the beauties of our cultural heritage. Overexposed. Cultured out.

So we had a cup of coffee and caught the train back. Decided we need to introduce a bit of variety. More rambling nature walks, cycle rides through the countryside, bit of music, scrabble evenings, beetle drives, old re-runs of Australian soap operas. Anything but another bloody medieval bas-relief.


Comments
Current Position
Birvidik's Photos - Birvidik (Main)
15 Photos
Created 31 January 2017
3 Photos
Created 16 October 2015
The move from seagoing to rivers and canals
29 Photos
Created 11 October 2015
10 Photos
Created 6 January 2015
18 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
14 Photos
Created 17 February 2014
21 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
4 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 8 August 2013
16 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
11 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
and wintering in Lefkas
19 Photos
Created 6 February 2013
14 Photos
Created 18 August 2012
19 Photos
Created 26 June 2012
5 Photos
Created 18 January 2012
14 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
5 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
9 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
8 Photos
Created 16 October 2011
9 Photos
Created 10 October 2011
10 Photos
Created 11 July 2011
23 Photos
Created 21 June 2011
10 Photos
Created 15 May 2011
44 Photos
Created 21 April 2011
9 Photos
Created 29 March 2011
24 Photos
Created 26 March 2011
12 Photos
Created 25 December 2010
13 Photos
Created 23 December 2010
7 Photos
Created 28 September 2010
10 Photos
Created 21 September 2010
15 Photos
Created 8 August 2010
9 Photos
Created 6 July 2010
12 Photos
Created 28 June 2010
9 Photos
Created 30 May 2010
21 Photos
Created 4 May 2010
20 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
7 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
13 Photos
Created 20 December 2009
11 Photos
Created 20 December 2009
15 Photos
Created 8 September 2009
11 Photos
Created 20 August 2009
13 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
10 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
6 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
12 Photos
Created 19 July 2009
15 Photos
Created 19 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 8 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 2 June 2009
7 Photos
Created 2 June 2009
10 Photos
Created 1 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 23 May 2009
27 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
24 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
9 Photos
Created 10 February 2009
15 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
9 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
22 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
8 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
8 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
15 Photos
Created 13 August 2008
10 Photos
Created 13 August 2008
13 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
5 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
10 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
9 Photos
Created 4 July 2008
12 Photos
Created 6 June 2008
10 Photos
Created 17 May 2008
14 Photos
Created 14 May 2008
17 Photos
Created 20 April 2008
7 Photos
Created 20 April 2008
22 Photos
Created 5 March 2008
6 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
10 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
8 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
7 Photos
Created 30 December 2007
16 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
8 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
8 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
11 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 December 2007
24 Photos
Created 11 November 2007
7 Photos
Created 12 September 2007
12 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
3 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
9 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 3 August 2007
12 Photos
Created 3 August 2007
13 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
7 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
8 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 17 July 2007
3 Photos
Created 17 July 2007
21 Photos
Created 7 July 2007
22 Photos
Created 16 June 2007
16 Photos
Created 16 June 2007
4 Photos
Created 28 May 2007
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
24 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
The trip up the river Guardiana between Spain & Portugal
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
2 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
A selection of the myriad photographs taken over the 6 months in Lagos
37 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
Dia de Cidade festivities & torrential rains
21 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
4 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
3 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
8 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
18 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
18 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
2 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
6 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
7 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
22 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2007

About & Links

Photo Albums
26 July 2013
12 Photos
06 July 2010
9 Photos
SailBlogs Friends
inclusionWinds v2.0
AURA