Photo Albums
26 July 2013
16 Photos
26 June 2012
19 Photos
SailBlogs Friends
inclusionWinds v2.0
AURA

Birvidik

Vessel Name: Birvidik
Vessel Make/Model: Victory 40
Hailing Port: Jersey C.I.
Crew: Bob Newbury
About: Liz Newbury
Extra: 11 years into a 10 year plan, but we get there in the end.
24 December 2023
22 November 2023 | Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.
14 August 2023 | A farce in three acts.
14 August 2023 | Sliding Doors
14 August 2023 | The Game Commences
11 March 2023 | Joseph Heller, eat your heart out.
24 December 2022
26 August 2022 | or 'French Leave'
03 August 2022 | or 'Fings ain't the way they seem'
18 June 2022 | or Desolation Row
22 March 2022 | or "Every Form of Refuge Has its Price
28 October 2021 | and repeat after me - "Help Yourself"
23 September 2021 | Warning - Contains strong language and explicit drug references
23 September 2021 | or Everything's Going to Pot
04 September 2021 | or Out of my league
27 August 2021 | or 'The Whine of the Ancient Mariner
16 August 2021 | Found in marina toilet, torn into squares and nailed to door.
06 August 2021 | or 'The Myth of Fingerprints'
Recent Blog Posts
24 December 2023

The Ghosts of Christmas Past

Those were the days, my friend...

22 November 2023 | Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right

As a fully paid-up Guardianista, I am fully aware that blanket, stereotypic statements along the lines of:

14 August 2023 | A farce in three acts.

Planes, Trains & Automobiles - Preface

OK, I admit it.

Eastwards, ever Eastwards

08 May 2007 | Rota
Wed 2nd May. 2 new albums in photo gallery.

Woke this morning to howling wind, overcast skies and driving rain, Lizzie sitting in saloon with hot water bottle attempting to treat belly-ache. It's all been a dream and we never got any further than Trebeurden. Look out of window - not Trebeurden, it's Rota in the Bay of Cadiz. You know, almost the same latitude as North Africa. Weather's beautiful in UK & Jersey apparently.

Bastards.

Never mind, where was I? Ah yes, Ayamonte. We decided to go up the river Guardiana to the twin villages of Alcoutim (Portuguese) and Sanlucar (Spanish), about 25 miles inland.

Having successfully negotiated getting a 12 metre mast under the suspension bridge, and avoided the shallows (just) in the uncharted river, we anchored in the middle of the river, just upstream of the two towns. Just as we were congratulating ourselves on our immaculate pilotage in getting our 1.65 metre draft up the river a sodding great 200 foot cruise boat trogged round the corner, executed a nifty little 180 degree turn and moored up at Alcoutim.

Bastards.

The countryside was beautiful, and there was even a beach at Alcoutim on a tributary of the river. Really weird - sand, cafe, picnic tables, beach huts, blue flag, the lot. Mind you, they must need it as it gets unbearably hot there in the middle of the summer.

Things to do in the middle of the countryside:

1 - Sit in cockpit, savour pervasive smell of orange blossom and listen to various bird and frog calls which rise to a crescendo in the evening. Very bucolic. There was a puzzling sound which at first we thought was a bird call and thought 'how charming'. Then as time passed we realised how regular it was and decided it wasn't a bird call at all, just one of those electronic alarm that go off all the time. It instantly switched from the 'charming' category to 'bloody irritating'.

Then it stopped being regular and moved around, so we decided it was a bird after all and it reverted to the 'how charming' psychological bracket. Mind you, if it keeps that up all bloody night......

2 - Worry about whether anchor will drag in strong river current and carry the boat careering downriver bagatelling of the other poor unfortunates downstream. Set anchor watch alarm and depths alarm and check frequently throughout the night. The echo sounder gave us depth and current flow, but gave us some peculiar (and worrying) readings until we realised that some of the info was in fact small flies congregating on the screen having been attracted by the illuminated display.

Bastards.

3 - Go for walks. Excellent - see photographs.

4 - Deploy huge range of anti mosquito measures, including zapper lights, toxic sprays, swats and chemical diffusers.

5 - Unsuccessfully search for antihistamine cream to treat multitudinous bites from mosquitoes attracted by the zapper light.

6 - Have lunch in riverside bar/restaurant run by a bunch of English Hairy Bikers. Very good, but somewhat bizarre.

7 - Attempt to buy produce in the only shop on the Portuguese side. Look at selection of a carrot, 3 bottles of 70 centimo white wine, 2 potatoes, a bottle of bleach and little else. Select a few items from the sparse offerings and wait expectantly at the till. Keep smiling at assistants who are engaged in vigorous and earnest conversation. Attempt to engage aforementioned assistants by ineffectual hand gestures, and cranking up the smiles to a manic rictus. Decide that only explanation is a warp in the laws of physics which has endowed us with a cloak of invisibility and transferred us to a parallel dimension.

Finally hand over exorbitant amount requested for pathetic offerings to po-faced woman who instantly returns to the earnest conversation without so much as an acknowledgement of our hypocritical thanks and good wishes for the prosperity of her business enterprise.

8 - Unexpectedly meet up with Pete and Lucia from 'Fair Grace', whom we met in Northern Spain and hadn't seen since Northern Portugal last August. Pete is a big, hairy proper sailor, and we fully expected them to be halfway across the Pacific by now. They spent the winter up the river, thus spending several thousand pounds less than we did over the same period.

Bastards.

Anchored a little further downriver for one night and then back to Ayamonte for a couple of days where we once again met Dick & Ginger from 'Alchemy'. Then on to Mazagon for one night at anchor just outside the channel carrying bloody great freighters and carriers upriver to Huelva. Managed to avoid being run down in our sleep by judicious use of riding light.

From Mazagon it was on to Rota where we currently languor. Apart from today the weather's been fine. Rota is a very characterful old town which manages to support a significant tourist industry without surrendering its soul to it.

Bumped into Dick and Ginger again, who persuaded us to go to a concert of 'The Magic Flute'. Bob enjoyed it, but Liz managed to tolerate it. Too much 'wailing bint' music for her taste.

Took the ferry over to Cadiz for the day, and were very glad we did. It's a lovely city with a faded grandeur reminiscent of aging Aristos (copyright 'The Chickens meander in the general direction of Turkey'). If you ever want to be pretentious and irritate people (you know, like the continuity announcers on radio three),use the Spanish pronunciation of Cadiz, which is like 'Cardiff', but ending in a 'th' sound rather than 'ff'.

We're now waiting to go to Barbate and then through the Straits to Gib as soon as the weather clears. We did try to get lots done yesterday, but failed to appreciate the significance of the date. It's one of the great ironies of life that May 1st is International Labour Day, and the Spanish drive this point home by ensuring that absolutely no labour is done whatsoever. Even some of the bars shut, one for the whole week.

And don't get me started on Spanish post offices.

I'm saving that for the next blog.
Comments
Current Position
Birvidik's Photos - Birvidik (Main)
15 Photos
Created 31 January 2017
3 Photos
Created 16 October 2015
The move from seagoing to rivers and canals
29 Photos
Created 11 October 2015
10 Photos
Created 6 January 2015
18 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
14 Photos
Created 17 February 2014
21 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
4 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 8 August 2013
16 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
11 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
and wintering in Lefkas
19 Photos
Created 6 February 2013
14 Photos
Created 18 August 2012
19 Photos
Created 26 June 2012
5 Photos
Created 18 January 2012
14 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
5 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
9 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
8 Photos
Created 16 October 2011
9 Photos
Created 10 October 2011
10 Photos
Created 11 July 2011
23 Photos
Created 21 June 2011
10 Photos
Created 15 May 2011
44 Photos
Created 21 April 2011
9 Photos
Created 29 March 2011
24 Photos
Created 26 March 2011
12 Photos
Created 25 December 2010
13 Photos
Created 23 December 2010
7 Photos
Created 28 September 2010
10 Photos
Created 21 September 2010
15 Photos
Created 8 August 2010
9 Photos
Created 6 July 2010
12 Photos
Created 28 June 2010
9 Photos
Created 30 May 2010
21 Photos
Created 4 May 2010
20 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
7 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
13 Photos
Created 20 December 2009
11 Photos
Created 20 December 2009
15 Photos
Created 8 September 2009
11 Photos
Created 20 August 2009
13 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
10 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
6 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
12 Photos
Created 19 July 2009
15 Photos
Created 19 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 8 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 2 June 2009
7 Photos
Created 2 June 2009
10 Photos
Created 1 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 23 May 2009
27 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
24 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
9 Photos
Created 10 February 2009
15 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
9 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
22 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
8 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
8 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
15 Photos
Created 13 August 2008
10 Photos
Created 13 August 2008
13 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
5 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
10 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
9 Photos
Created 4 July 2008
12 Photos
Created 6 June 2008
10 Photos
Created 17 May 2008
14 Photos
Created 14 May 2008
17 Photos
Created 20 April 2008
7 Photos
Created 20 April 2008
22 Photos
Created 5 March 2008
6 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
10 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
8 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
7 Photos
Created 30 December 2007
16 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
8 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
8 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
11 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 December 2007
24 Photos
Created 11 November 2007
7 Photos
Created 12 September 2007
12 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
3 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
9 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 3 August 2007
12 Photos
Created 3 August 2007
13 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
7 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
8 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 17 July 2007
3 Photos
Created 17 July 2007
21 Photos
Created 7 July 2007
22 Photos
Created 16 June 2007
16 Photos
Created 16 June 2007
4 Photos
Created 28 May 2007
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
24 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
The trip up the river Guardiana between Spain & Portugal
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
2 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
A selection of the myriad photographs taken over the 6 months in Lagos
37 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
Dia de Cidade festivities & torrential rains
21 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
4 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
3 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
8 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
18 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
18 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
2 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
6 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
7 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
22 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2007

About & Links

Photo Albums
26 July 2013
16 Photos
26 June 2012
19 Photos
SailBlogs Friends
inclusionWinds v2.0
AURA