Photo Albums
16 October 2011
8 Photos
06 July 2010
9 Photos
SailBlogs Friends
inclusionWinds v2.0
AURA

Birvidik

Vessel Name: Birvidik
Vessel Make/Model: Victory 40
Hailing Port: Jersey C.I.
Crew: Bob Newbury
About: Liz Newbury
Extra: 11 years into a 10 year plan, but we get there in the end.
24 December 2023
22 November 2023 | Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.
14 August 2023 | A farce in three acts.
14 August 2023 | Sliding Doors
14 August 2023 | The Game Commences
11 March 2023 | Joseph Heller, eat your heart out.
24 December 2022
26 August 2022 | or 'French Leave'
03 August 2022 | or 'Fings ain't the way they seem'
18 June 2022 | or Desolation Row
22 March 2022 | or "Every Form of Refuge Has its Price
28 October 2021 | and repeat after me - "Help Yourself"
23 September 2021 | Warning - Contains strong language and explicit drug references
23 September 2021 | or Everything's Going to Pot
04 September 2021 | or Out of my league
27 August 2021 | or 'The Whine of the Ancient Mariner
16 August 2021 | Found in marina toilet, torn into squares and nailed to door.
06 August 2021 | or 'The Myth of Fingerprints'
Recent Blog Posts
24 December 2023

The Ghosts of Christmas Past

Those were the days, my friend...

22 November 2023 | Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right

As a fully paid-up Guardianista, I am fully aware that blanket, stereotypic statements along the lines of:

14 August 2023 | A farce in three acts.

Planes, Trains & Automobiles - Preface

OK, I admit it.

Bye Bye Balearics, Bye Bye

28 June 2007 | Menorca (Mahon)
Menorca and onwards

We left Porto Colom at 6:30 a.m. and arrived in Mahon at 2:30 after an excellent motor sail. It seems that you can only get a decent wind around here if you go offshore. Around the islands the wind seems to follow the coast and is either right behind you or (more often) dead ahead. Turn a corner round a cape, expecting to get the wind on the beam and it turns too - still on the nose..

We moored up in Mahon to one of the floating island pontoons and, after 14 nights at anchor, revelled in the abundance of fresh water. Lovely long showers, washing down the decks and buckets of washing soaking with the first lot on the line. The staff here are very friendly and helpful and go out of their way to make things as easy and convenient as possible for you. Paperwork is done on the pontoon for you and you can even get your groceries delivered to the boat for a charge of 2 euros. The poor bloke suffered a hernia from the quantities of beer and wine he had to load in and out of his dinghy.

Mahon is one of our favourite places so far. A very attractive and busy port with an equally attractive town set on the hills surrounding it. After a few days in Mahon we set of up the coast to Cala de Grao, where we anchored for 3 nights. Cala de Grao did not have The Resort, nor did it have TCFH. It did, however, have The Rock. This is a sodding great reef which runs almost across the entrance to the cala, shallowing in places to well under 2 metres. This reef, however, has managed to keep a very low profile and is not mentioned in any of the pilot books, nor on any of the charts. As we trundled happily down the middle of what we presumed to be the fairway into the anchorage the echo-sounder went from 12 metres to 8, then 5 metres under the keel. Just as Bob started to get suspicious it dropped to 20 cm under the keel in a matter of seconds and, looking over the side, all we could see were a mass of weed and sharp pointy hard bits all around the boat. Before we could work out the best course of action we were over the reef and back into deeper water. We cleared the rocks with the thickness of a couple of paperbacks to spare.

Others, however, were not so lucky. Another English ketch, Freya, came in later and managed to clout the self same rock, as she drew just that little bit more than us. Luckily she suffered no serious damage. Bob has sent the GPS co-ordinates of the reef on to the publishers of the pilot.

The Cala is a lovely spot - well worth nearly going aground for. There is a large saltwater lagoon behind it which abounds with wildlife, including the obligatory Unique Species of Lizard which every island, islet, rock and mudflat seems to have around here. We took the dinghy off to a nearby island (also with, funnily enough, a USoL) where we snorkelled in crystal clear, aquamarine, 20 degree C water. This is the life.

From Cala de Grao we nipped around the NE corner of Menorca to Cala de Fornells, where we made up to the buoys which have been laid by the Marine Parks Authority to protect the Posodonia (Sea grass), from nasty anchors. "Save the Seaweed" doesn't quite have the same ring to it as "Save the Whale", does it? How about "Stop the bloody weeding"? Still, we don't mind - the mooring buoys are free to use.

Fornells is a huge cala with very little development, just a small village with a pretty palm lined front and restaurants.

From Fornells it was back to Mahon to water up and restock for the trip across to Sardinia. We ended up on the adjacent floating island to last time which had a thriving social life. The authorities had provided tables, benches and even a barbecue free for use, and the pontoon was in the shape of a square with a central section cut out to serve as a swimming pool, complete with ladders. Very civilised.

A 2 mile dinghy ride took us to Fort Isabella II on the island of Mola near the entrance to the port. The fort is a must see if you're in the vicinity. It is a really impressive piece of engineering, done in a light coloured sandstone. It's in an excellent state of repair. It has an almost church-like air due to the use of arches and domed ceilings.

And so, goodbye Spain, hello Italy. We left Mahon at 04:00 in the dark. Picking our way through the plethora of lights, both stationary and moving, we made it down the 3 mile channel from the harbour to the open sea and set off for Sardinia. It was an excellent trip.

Liz would like the following noted:

Bob had wanted to keep up at least 5 knots to get to Sardinia when it was still light. As it turns out we must have got a current with us and were steaming along, getting up to nearly 8 knots. Ironically, having dug Liz out of bed at some ungodly hour of the morning Bob then announced that we would have to slow down or we'd arrive in Sardinia in the early hours of the morning, when it was still dark. But did she make sulky comments about this? I leave that to your judgement.

We had supper at sea and then Liz did the 22:00 - 01:00 watch and only saw one ship and no wildlife. Bob did the 01:00 - 04:00 and saw nothing. Liz then did the 04:00 - 07:00 and found herself on a dodgem track with damned great freighters and ferries. There were two radar alarms warning of potential collisions and things weren't helped by the fact that Bob had reduced the backlight levels on the radar/plotter (the man's a fanatic about not compromising night vision) and Liz could hardly see the screen. As ships loomed ever closer she was frantically scrabbling to put her glasses on and peering at the screen, her nose nearly flattened on it. She managed to miss everything, but wasn't sure about the course she managed to get the boat back to so she had to wake Bob up anyway, just as Birvidik swung smugly back onto the correct course.

The wind rose steadily throughout the morning and we had her sailing well at six knots. The wind continued to rise and it was blowing a 4-5 by the time we arrived at our planned anchorage, which didn't look tenable in the current conditions and so we set off 5 miles across the bay to Porto Scuso.

It was still blowing strongly in the marina and we were directed to an alongside berth with the wind blowing us strongly off the berth. Luckily, on the second attempt we managed, with the help of four very helpful Italians, to get her moored up, to great sighs of relief all round. Ten minutes later the wind dropped completely.

But not for long.

We've now been in Porto Scuso for a week, having had the unforgettable experience of sitting through a Tramontana. This is where the French export their bad weather. If a nasty cold front has the temerity to enter La Belle France, it is directed down and to the left by the authorities and is therefore funnelled nicely between the Alps and the Pyrenees whence it shoots southeastards like a cork from a bottle as Le Mistral. By the time Le Mistral gets to Sardinia it has managed to fan out, kick up a nice rough sea, and change its name to La Tramontana.

It appears out of nowhere like a large drinks bill, and can manage to go from calm to gale force in 15 minutes. And it doesn't know when it's managed to outstay its welcome. This one has been blowing for 6 days and is only now starting to ease. It'll probably be another couple of days before we leave, just to give the seas time to calm down.

The six days, however, have not been totally wasted. Four of them have been taken up with a wrestling match between Bob and the plumbing in the aft heads.

(Note: those of a sensitive disposition should look away now)

On the way over from Menorca, Bob decided to pump out the holding tank which, for the uninitiated, holds all those unpleasant bodily fluids and solids that one would rather not visit upon one's immediate neighbours whilst in harbour. During said manoeuvre, there was a 'Thunk' noise and the pump sounded as if it had developed an advanced case of constipation. Bob switched off the pump and tried the hand pump. Blocked solid.

This was not totally unexpected as heads plumbing is subject to calcite build up, especially in limestone areas such as the Balearics. Various remedies are put forward by different authorities on the best approach in dealing with this problem. On the Liberal, Pacifist Wing, opinion leans toward a dose of fairy liquid or, if feeling particularly aggressive a gentle douche with diluted vinegar. Bob decided to go for the 'Shock & Awe' tactic and wandered off into town to search for the most concentrated, aggressive mineral acid he could get hold of.

Jackpot! Nice little hardware shop, Italian dictionary , and 10 minutes of graphic sign language later out he comes, the proud owner of 5 litres of 60% hydrochloric acid.

Well, it did the trick. Pumped it through the system and it produced grunts, bubbles, squeals, belches and a sound like an elephant with amoebic dysentery. Further flushing spat large quantities of limescale and other, probably best unidentified, substances out of the outlet. It got rid of all the limescale.

Unfortunately, some of the aforementioned limescale was helpfully blocking a number of fairly large cracks in the pump casing. You see - nothing is completely without positive features. - In its absence, pumping the system sprayed half the pump contents into the after heads, where is drained down various pipes and surfaces and collected in attractive little pools under the floor.

And so it began.

Step one - identify the problem. Easy - Pump knackered.

Step two - List possible solutions:

a) Ignore problem.
b) Replace pump
c) Repair Pump

Step three - Choose best solution. Liz Vetoed (a), and we carry a spare pump (surprised?), so we went for (b)

Step four - discover problem with chosen solution.

Special, expensive, odour-blocking piping has managed to weld itself onto the pump fittings and will have to be cut off, thus necessitating new piping. New piping only available by mail order.

Step four - go back to solution (c). Use special sealing material, bandages, ingenuity and previously unknown talent as contortionist to seal pump outlet. Leave 12 hours and pressure test - still leaks. Repeat step four three times. Still leaks.

Step five - Remove all evidence of previous 3 days work, and go and buy large quantities of fibreglass mat, polyester resin and hardener. Man in hardware store is now becoming close friend, confidante, technical advisor and therapist.

Step six - Discover hitherto unknown even greater talent as contortionist and coat pump outlet and casing with polyester resin. Also, but inadvertently, coat inspection hatch, floor, wall panels, toilet bowl, carpet, various items of clothing, hands, arms, knees and glasses.

Step seven - Run pressure test. Success. Spend 2 hours putting aft heads back together.

There you are - it's a full life this cruising. Once the seas from this Tramontana have dies down we're off round Sardinia.
Comments
Current Position
Birvidik's Photos - Birvidik (Main)
15 Photos
Created 31 January 2017
3 Photos
Created 16 October 2015
The move from seagoing to rivers and canals
29 Photos
Created 11 October 2015
10 Photos
Created 6 January 2015
18 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
14 Photos
Created 17 February 2014
21 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
4 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 8 August 2013
16 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
11 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
and wintering in Lefkas
19 Photos
Created 6 February 2013
14 Photos
Created 18 August 2012
19 Photos
Created 26 June 2012
5 Photos
Created 18 January 2012
14 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
5 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
9 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
8 Photos
Created 16 October 2011
9 Photos
Created 10 October 2011
10 Photos
Created 11 July 2011
23 Photos
Created 21 June 2011
10 Photos
Created 15 May 2011
44 Photos
Created 21 April 2011
9 Photos
Created 29 March 2011
24 Photos
Created 26 March 2011
12 Photos
Created 25 December 2010
13 Photos
Created 23 December 2010
7 Photos
Created 28 September 2010
10 Photos
Created 21 September 2010
15 Photos
Created 8 August 2010
9 Photos
Created 6 July 2010
12 Photos
Created 28 June 2010
9 Photos
Created 30 May 2010
21 Photos
Created 4 May 2010
20 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
7 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
13 Photos
Created 20 December 2009
11 Photos
Created 20 December 2009
15 Photos
Created 8 September 2009
11 Photos
Created 20 August 2009
13 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
10 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
6 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
12 Photos
Created 19 July 2009
15 Photos
Created 19 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 8 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 2 June 2009
7 Photos
Created 2 June 2009
10 Photos
Created 1 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 23 May 2009
27 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
24 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
9 Photos
Created 10 February 2009
15 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
9 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
22 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
8 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
8 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
15 Photos
Created 13 August 2008
10 Photos
Created 13 August 2008
13 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
5 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
10 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
9 Photos
Created 4 July 2008
12 Photos
Created 6 June 2008
10 Photos
Created 17 May 2008
14 Photos
Created 14 May 2008
17 Photos
Created 20 April 2008
7 Photos
Created 20 April 2008
22 Photos
Created 5 March 2008
6 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
10 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
8 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
7 Photos
Created 30 December 2007
16 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
8 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
8 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
11 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 December 2007
24 Photos
Created 11 November 2007
7 Photos
Created 12 September 2007
12 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
3 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
9 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 3 August 2007
12 Photos
Created 3 August 2007
13 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
7 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
8 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 17 July 2007
3 Photos
Created 17 July 2007
21 Photos
Created 7 July 2007
22 Photos
Created 16 June 2007
16 Photos
Created 16 June 2007
4 Photos
Created 28 May 2007
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
24 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
The trip up the river Guardiana between Spain & Portugal
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
2 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
A selection of the myriad photographs taken over the 6 months in Lagos
37 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
Dia de Cidade festivities & torrential rains
21 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
4 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
3 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
8 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
18 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
18 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
2 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
6 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
7 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
22 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2007

About & Links

Photo Albums
16 October 2011
8 Photos
06 July 2010
9 Photos
SailBlogs Friends
inclusionWinds v2.0
AURA