Photo Albums
18 January 2012
5 Photos
30 May 2010
9 Photos
SailBlogs Friends
inclusionWinds v2.0
AURA

Birvidik

Vessel Name: Birvidik
Vessel Make/Model: Victory 40
Hailing Port: Jersey C.I.
Crew: Bob Newbury
About: Liz Newbury
Extra: 11 years into a 10 year plan, but we get there in the end.
24 December 2023
22 November 2023 | Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.
14 August 2023 | A farce in three acts.
14 August 2023 | Sliding Doors
14 August 2023 | The Game Commences
11 March 2023 | Joseph Heller, eat your heart out.
24 December 2022
26 August 2022 | or 'French Leave'
03 August 2022 | or 'Fings ain't the way they seem'
18 June 2022 | or Desolation Row
22 March 2022 | or "Every Form of Refuge Has its Price
28 October 2021 | and repeat after me - "Help Yourself"
23 September 2021 | Warning - Contains strong language and explicit drug references
23 September 2021 | or Everything's Going to Pot
04 September 2021 | or Out of my league
27 August 2021 | or 'The Whine of the Ancient Mariner
16 August 2021 | Found in marina toilet, torn into squares and nailed to door.
06 August 2021 | or 'The Myth of Fingerprints'
Recent Blog Posts
24 December 2023

The Ghosts of Christmas Past

Those were the days, my friend...

22 November 2023 | Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right

As a fully paid-up Guardianista, I am fully aware that blanket, stereotypic statements along the lines of:

14 August 2023 | A farce in three acts.

Planes, Trains & Automobiles - Preface

OK, I admit it.

'Those are my principles...'

21 July 2017 | and if you don't like them...well I have others. - Groucho Marx
Regular readers (you know who you are) will be aware that I am a fairly easy-going sort of bloke and hence I tend towards the more liberal, understanding, morally relative wing of the philosophical spectrum. I tend to favour rehabilitation rather than retribution, to value understanding rather than condemnation (1). Redemption is better than retaliation and all that. Well that's all changed.

SOME THIEVING, AMORAL, DEGENERATE, IRREDEEMABLY MORALLY COMPROMISED, NEEDLE-DICKED, SHIT-FOR-BRAINS BASTARDS HAVE STOLEN OUR BIKES!

Not just any old bikes - these were Bromptons, the Rolls-Royce of the folding bikes. Seven hundred quid each they cost us. Mind you, that was nine years ago.

At least I can't accuse myself of putting temptation in the path of poor, easily influenced underdogs who lack the moral fibre to resist opportunities thoughtlessly put in their way by inconsiderate rich bastards like me. These bikes were inside a locked marina, in direct field of a CCTV camera and chained to each other and a metal fence by a 12 mill diameter, high tensile stainless steel wire. Does the entire Strasbourg underworld stroll around with a set of four foot bolt croppers stuffed casually in the back pocket of their jeans?

I am now stomping about in incandescent rage, plotting suitable punishments should the scrofulous little shit-bags ever find themselves subject to my tender mercies. I'm becoming more and more enamoured with the prospect of stringing them up from a tree by a length of piano wire tied tightly round their genitalia.

'Hang on Bob', I hear you exclaim. 'It's only a couple of bikes - have a sense of proportion about this.'

Comments such as that, gentle reader, only go to show that you know absolutely diddley-squat about the semiotic and psychological symbolism of the bicycle as exhibited within the cruising community. Equally, you almost certainly know absolutely jack-shit about its cultural significance and its importance as a socio-economic status indicator and as a tribal identifier.

The bicycle plays a unique part in the lives of cruising sailors. It fulfills same sort of role for cruising yotties as does the camel for Bedouin nomads, the horse for Romanies, cattle for Masai herders and the donkey for 19th century Sardinian peasants. It is simultaneously a workhorse and an indicator of wealth. It is a hewer of wood and a drawer of water and yet at the same time it indicates tribal identity and the owner's status within that tribe. Although, having said that, I am as yet unaware of any lascivious cruising yottie having offered another yottie twelve bicycles in exchange for his innocent, nubile, flaxen haired daughter.

For most of modern western men, the car has usurped this role. I suspect that it is little exaggeration that a significant number of western males would rather lose their wife, children or selected bodily parts rather than have their car stolen. In fact, for this demographic having their car stolen would induce a very similar emotional response to that experienced on losing selected dangly body parts

It should now be becoming obvious, even to the uninitiated, just how traumatic an experience it is for a yottie to have his bicycle stolen. On a purely practical note, it makes life vastly more inconvenient. Few boats are big enough or equipped with the necessary crane and parking space to enable them to carry a car aboard. (2) So the yottie falls back on the trusty bicycle.

As previous blogs have detailed (probably ad nauseum) two of the major drains on time in the cruising life are provisioning and finding where everything is. This is where the bicycle comes into its own. Even on a Brompton you're travelling at three times walking pace so the time spent on these activities is cut to a third. With a bike you get to see much more of the areas through which you travel and spend much less time on mundane quotidian tasks. However, once the bikes have fallen into the clutches of the Strasbourg branch of the Thieving Parasitic Douchebags Association you're back to Shanks's Pony.

This inconvenience is bad enough, but remember that the bicycle serves many more, highly psychologically important, purposes than the merely practical. It is here that we see the full implications of having your Brompton stolen

The Brompton is to bicycles, as a Porsche or a Rolls Royce is to cars. It is more about status than practicality. Its small wheels make it difficult to cycle, and easy to crash. For other than pre-school children or the last few survivors of Chinese foot binding it is impossible to pedal without fouling the front wheel with the toes or the carrier frame with the heel. Or both in my case. It has a clever way of parking where you fold the rear wheel underneath, but you can't do that if you've got anything on the carrier (which is damned near always). It has a small carrying capacity and putting any significant weight in the front basket makes it about as stable as a clown's unicycle. Involuntary dermal abrasion of the elbows, knees, hands and face is an ever-present prospect for the Brompton rider.

However, this all pales into insignificance when, in an astonishing feat of 3D geometry, it folds up into the size of a cigarette packet in about ten seconds. This procedure is best performed with an air of casual ennui. It announces to the world: 'Look at me! I am a yottie! and what's more I have class - look I have a Brompton!'

Hence my (possibly worrying) fixation with the excruciating possibilities of piano wire, possibly enhanced by forcing the syphilitic little toe-rags to listen to Barry Manilow singing 'Copacabana' on a loop of tape at high volume. Christ knows what I'd think up if someone broke into the boat or attacked either of us in person.

It's different when it happens to you. That's why we have the rule of law, I suppose. To stop people like me.

Which, on reflection, is probably for the best.

(1) Pace John Major
(2) It's not unheard of though.
Comments
Current Position
Birvidik's Photos - Birvidik (Main)
15 Photos
Created 31 January 2017
3 Photos
Created 16 October 2015
The move from seagoing to rivers and canals
29 Photos
Created 11 October 2015
10 Photos
Created 6 January 2015
18 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
14 Photos
Created 17 February 2014
21 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
4 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 8 August 2013
16 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
11 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
and wintering in Lefkas
19 Photos
Created 6 February 2013
14 Photos
Created 18 August 2012
19 Photos
Created 26 June 2012
5 Photos
Created 18 January 2012
14 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
5 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
9 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
8 Photos
Created 16 October 2011
9 Photos
Created 10 October 2011
10 Photos
Created 11 July 2011
23 Photos
Created 21 June 2011
10 Photos
Created 15 May 2011
44 Photos
Created 21 April 2011
9 Photos
Created 29 March 2011
24 Photos
Created 26 March 2011
12 Photos
Created 25 December 2010
13 Photos
Created 23 December 2010
7 Photos
Created 28 September 2010
10 Photos
Created 21 September 2010
15 Photos
Created 8 August 2010
9 Photos
Created 6 July 2010
12 Photos
Created 28 June 2010
9 Photos
Created 30 May 2010
21 Photos
Created 4 May 2010
20 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
7 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
13 Photos
Created 20 December 2009
11 Photos
Created 20 December 2009
15 Photos
Created 8 September 2009
11 Photos
Created 20 August 2009
13 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
10 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
6 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
12 Photos
Created 19 July 2009
15 Photos
Created 19 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 8 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 2 June 2009
7 Photos
Created 2 June 2009
10 Photos
Created 1 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 23 May 2009
27 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
24 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
9 Photos
Created 10 February 2009
15 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
9 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
22 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
8 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
8 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
15 Photos
Created 13 August 2008
10 Photos
Created 13 August 2008
13 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
5 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
10 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
9 Photos
Created 4 July 2008
12 Photos
Created 6 June 2008
10 Photos
Created 17 May 2008
14 Photos
Created 14 May 2008
17 Photos
Created 20 April 2008
7 Photos
Created 20 April 2008
22 Photos
Created 5 March 2008
6 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
10 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
8 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
7 Photos
Created 30 December 2007
16 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
8 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
8 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
11 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 December 2007
24 Photos
Created 11 November 2007
7 Photos
Created 12 September 2007
12 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
3 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
9 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 3 August 2007
12 Photos
Created 3 August 2007
13 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
7 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
8 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 17 July 2007
3 Photos
Created 17 July 2007
21 Photos
Created 7 July 2007
22 Photos
Created 16 June 2007
16 Photos
Created 16 June 2007
4 Photos
Created 28 May 2007
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
24 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
The trip up the river Guardiana between Spain & Portugal
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
2 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
A selection of the myriad photographs taken over the 6 months in Lagos
37 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
Dia de Cidade festivities & torrential rains
21 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
4 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
3 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
8 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
18 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
18 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
2 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
6 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
7 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
22 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2007

About & Links

Photo Albums
18 January 2012
5 Photos
30 May 2010
9 Photos
SailBlogs Friends
inclusionWinds v2.0
AURA