Photo Albums
29 March 2011
9 Photos
23 December 2010
13 Photos
SailBlogs Friends
inclusionWinds v2.0
AURA

Birvidik

Vessel Name: Birvidik
Vessel Make/Model: Victory 40
Hailing Port: Jersey C.I.
Crew: Bob Newbury
About: Liz Newbury
Extra: 11 years into a 10 year plan, but we get there in the end.
24 December 2023
22 November 2023 | Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.
14 August 2023 | A farce in three acts.
14 August 2023 | Sliding Doors
14 August 2023 | The Game Commences
11 March 2023 | Joseph Heller, eat your heart out.
24 December 2022
26 August 2022 | or 'French Leave'
03 August 2022 | or 'Fings ain't the way they seem'
18 June 2022 | or Desolation Row
22 March 2022 | or "Every Form of Refuge Has its Price
28 October 2021 | and repeat after me - "Help Yourself"
23 September 2021 | Warning - Contains strong language and explicit drug references
23 September 2021 | or Everything's Going to Pot
04 September 2021 | or Out of my league
27 August 2021 | or 'The Whine of the Ancient Mariner
16 August 2021 | Found in marina toilet, torn into squares and nailed to door.
06 August 2021 | or 'The Myth of Fingerprints'
Recent Blog Posts
24 December 2023

The Ghosts of Christmas Past

Those were the days, my friend...

22 November 2023 | Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right

As a fully paid-up Guardianista, I am fully aware that blanket, stereotypic statements along the lines of:

14 August 2023 | A farce in three acts.

Planes, Trains & Automobiles - Preface

OK, I admit it.

M*A*S*H*

25 November 2020 | “Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.” – John Lennon
Bob&Liz Newbury
I concede that, given the previous two blog entries, this one is a bit of a non-sequitur, but you can't just keep banging on about covid all the time, can you. That would strain even the awe-inspiring powers of concentration and positivity of our long-suffering, loyal readership.

All three of them.

We were driving back to the boat after a brief sojourn in Portugal. This is not an exercise to be undertaken lightly. We used to drive the 2000 kilometres from Lagos to St. Malo in two days. Mind you, that was in an Audi 80 quattro. It's a completely different kettle of fish in a campervan, especially in a modified garden shed shoe-horned onto a 1994 Fiat Ducato van chassis. In this, the exact same route took us a week.

On the second day I noticed something slightly odd about Einstein. I looked at her and thought 'That doesn't look quite right.'

Einstein has inherited a fairly unusual permutation from the Mediterranean feline gene pool. Most of them have long, narrow snouts that give them a slightly untrustworthy, spivvy air, a sort of furry, ginger version of Private Walker in Dad's Army*. Einstein, on the other hand, has a snub snout and a very symmetrically round face that gives her an air of loveable innocence and reassuring trustworthiness. This, of course, is diametrically opposed to her true nature and just goes to demonstrate the innate stupidity of anthropomorphism. This logical solecism has, on many occasions, led complete strangers, apparently otherwise rational people, to change their natural voices for nauseating cooing tones and utter such twee drivel as 'What a pretty cat' and 'such a round face'.

Well, it wasn't very round now.

Actually, that's not strictly true. The right side of her face retained its prior rotundity in all its deceitful glory. The left side, by contrast, was swollen to several times its original dimensions and looked as if some mad scientist had grafted the flange from an alpha male orang-utan onto it and then surgically inserted a goose's egg, just for the Hell of it.

I palpated it. She didn't jump, yowl, scratch or bite, which surprised me. Beneath the skin it appeared to have the consistency of Play-Do. I was tempted to see if I could tweak it about with my fingers and make a recognisable facsimile of Jabba the Hutt. Shouldn't have been too difficult, it was halfway there already. A picture of that would go viral on the interweb in nanoseconds. Cats, deformity and Return of the Jedi? - hits all the internet buttons. It couldn't lose.

However, Liz pulled the plug on my social media ambitions and insisted we get her to a vet. (Einstein, that is, not Liz). This proved rather difficult in the middle of rural Spain and anyway, given the rather ambivalent attitude the Spanish have to animals, we couldn't be sure the vet wouldn't just throw her off the nearest church steeple or surround her with men on horseback sticking tiny darts in her shoulders before handing the nearest eight year old a red napkin and an old kebab skewer and telling him to finish her off. We decided to give it one more day, by which time we'd be in France where they are much more sympathetic to animals. Unless, of course, they think there's an outside chance they might be able to eat them.

The next day things had continued to fail to improve. They had changed, but not exactly improved. The swelling was still there but a small hole had opened up and she was now smearing a fragrant and savoury mixture of blood and pus over everything she came into contact with - furniture, bedding, clothes, humans. We headed for Grondin, near Bordeaux, hoping that the campsite management could arrange a vet for us.

And so it came to pass that there arrived in the town of Grondin a sorry company, besmeared with gore and suppuration, accompanied by much wailing and gnashing of teeth (not to mention frantic scrubbing with bleach). "Woe", they cried to the assembled townsfolk in anguish, "Bring to us a vet, that we may be delivered from the agonies of smeared pus and other distasteful bodily fluids."

But vet was there none.

'Sorry Squire' came the terse response, " Shut 'til Thursday - try Nantes."

So Nantes it was. After another day's drive we arrived in the campsite. I was idly glancing through the back of the introduction pack when one of the adverts jumped out at me.

It was for a vet.

In Nantes.

A vet, in Nantes, that did house calls.

I rang him up.

"Be with you in a couple of hours" he said, "as soon as I've finished castrating this camel." At least, I think that's what he said, my French is still somewhat rudimentary.

The man was true to his word. He turned up two hours later in a van that would have been at home in a G4S cash transfer fleet. Metal grilles and bars all over it. 'What the Hell did he transport in it', I wondered, 'Rabid apex predators with serious anger management issues?'
He examined Einstein and pronounced that she had a severe abscess which needed an immediate operation. Had we left it any longer it would have resulted in 'mutilation ou mort'. We understood that bit. So, I suspect, did Einstein.

The vet went to his van while we converted the campervan saloon and dining table into a makeshift operating theatre. Plastic tablecloths served as drapes and a couple of LED headlights stood in for theatre lights. He returned with two armoured cases that converted into sliding drawers of instruments and drug trays by a cunning arrangement of slots, runners and levers. With those, the three of us and a by now highly suspicious cat, the campervan was getting distinctly cosy.

He announced that he would need to anaesthetise her. Bloody right. I'd want to be completely comatose if you intended to start slicing great chunks out of my face. He gave Liz a pair of armoured gloves and told her to hold the cat, then loaded up a hypodermic and gave her an intramuscular in the bum. (Einstein, not Liz). She took it very well, considering. (Both of them).

In less than ten minutes she was slumped on the table staring vacantly into space. (I won't overplay the running gag). "What was in that syringe?" I asked. "Ketamine" he replied. That explained the armoured car appearance of his van. It wasn't to keep wild animals in, but the local junkies out. I bet he didn't leave it parked outside his house overnight.

We shifted seamlessly into M*A*S*H condition. The vet assumed the role of Hawkeye whilst Liz morphed into Hotlips Houlihan and effortlessly fell back into scrub nurse mode. I, meanwhile, slipped into a fetching little floral number and took on the persona of Corporal Klinger and the responsibilities of runner.

The vet squatted down on his haunches and peered into the small pool of light. I will spare you the full, gory details of the procedure out of deference to the delicate sensibilities of our readers (especially those of a squeamish nature and/or those who blanch at the prospect of slicing up living pussies). Suffice it to say that it entailed deft wielding of a scalpel and the squeezing out about a duck-egg's worth of gunge the colour of mustard mayonnaise and the consistency of Devon full fat clotted cream. The smell though was cloyingly emetic. Even I could smell it and I've been anosmic for twenty years.

I had always been of the impression that I was relaxed in my attitude to stress or crisis and reasonably detached in dealing with either. It must, I thought, have been more stressful than I had realized. While we were clearing up and sorting out Einstein for the recovery ward (The toilet cubicle, since you ask), I noticed that my hands were shaking quite noticeably. Throughout all of this there was not a peep out of Einstein - good stuff that ketamine.

Ketamine has had a tad of an undeserved bad press. If you really need to blot out the horrible reality of life and get comfortably numb it's not all bad. Medically, it has a lot going for it. For a start it's almost impossible to OD on the stuff. In addition, it doesn't depress breathing and heart-rate like most other anaesthetics. Coming off it though is another matter. How do hallucinations, seizures, raised blood pressure and spasms of the larynx sound to you?

So - all done and sorted and back on schedule. The next morning, we climbed into the cab and gave each other wry smiles of relief. I turned key...

*My old mum used to say that anyone whose tie was lighter than his shirt was a spiv.
Comments
Current Position
Birvidik's Photos - Birvidik (Main)
15 Photos
Created 31 January 2017
3 Photos
Created 16 October 2015
The move from seagoing to rivers and canals
29 Photos
Created 11 October 2015
10 Photos
Created 6 January 2015
18 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
14 Photos
Created 17 February 2014
21 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
4 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 8 August 2013
16 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
11 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
and wintering in Lefkas
19 Photos
Created 6 February 2013
14 Photos
Created 18 August 2012
19 Photos
Created 26 June 2012
5 Photos
Created 18 January 2012
14 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
5 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
9 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
8 Photos
Created 16 October 2011
9 Photos
Created 10 October 2011
10 Photos
Created 11 July 2011
23 Photos
Created 21 June 2011
10 Photos
Created 15 May 2011
44 Photos
Created 21 April 2011
9 Photos
Created 29 March 2011
24 Photos
Created 26 March 2011
12 Photos
Created 25 December 2010
13 Photos
Created 23 December 2010
7 Photos
Created 28 September 2010
10 Photos
Created 21 September 2010
15 Photos
Created 8 August 2010
9 Photos
Created 6 July 2010
12 Photos
Created 28 June 2010
9 Photos
Created 30 May 2010
21 Photos
Created 4 May 2010
20 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
7 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
13 Photos
Created 20 December 2009
11 Photos
Created 20 December 2009
15 Photos
Created 8 September 2009
11 Photos
Created 20 August 2009
13 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
10 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
6 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
12 Photos
Created 19 July 2009
15 Photos
Created 19 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 8 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 2 June 2009
7 Photos
Created 2 June 2009
10 Photos
Created 1 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 23 May 2009
27 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
24 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
9 Photos
Created 10 February 2009
15 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
9 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
22 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
8 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
8 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
15 Photos
Created 13 August 2008
10 Photos
Created 13 August 2008
13 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
5 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
10 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
9 Photos
Created 4 July 2008
12 Photos
Created 6 June 2008
10 Photos
Created 17 May 2008
14 Photos
Created 14 May 2008
17 Photos
Created 20 April 2008
7 Photos
Created 20 April 2008
22 Photos
Created 5 March 2008
6 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
10 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
8 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
7 Photos
Created 30 December 2007
16 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
8 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
8 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
11 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 December 2007
24 Photos
Created 11 November 2007
7 Photos
Created 12 September 2007
12 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
3 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
9 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 3 August 2007
12 Photos
Created 3 August 2007
13 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
7 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
8 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 17 July 2007
3 Photos
Created 17 July 2007
21 Photos
Created 7 July 2007
22 Photos
Created 16 June 2007
16 Photos
Created 16 June 2007
4 Photos
Created 28 May 2007
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
24 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
The trip up the river Guardiana between Spain & Portugal
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
2 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
A selection of the myriad photographs taken over the 6 months in Lagos
37 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
Dia de Cidade festivities & torrential rains
21 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
4 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
3 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
8 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
18 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
18 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
2 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
6 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
7 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
22 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2007

About & Links

Photo Albums
29 March 2011
9 Photos
23 December 2010
13 Photos
SailBlogs Friends
inclusionWinds v2.0
AURA