Photo Albums
18 December 2011
14 Photos
04 May 2010
21 Photos
SailBlogs Friends
inclusionWinds v2.0
AURA

Birvidik

Vessel Name: Birvidik
Vessel Make/Model: Victory 40
Hailing Port: Jersey C.I.
Crew: Bob Newbury
About: Liz Newbury
Extra: 11 years into a 10 year plan, but we get there in the end.
24 December 2023
22 November 2023 | Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.
14 August 2023 | A farce in three acts.
14 August 2023 | Sliding Doors
14 August 2023 | The Game Commences
11 March 2023 | Joseph Heller, eat your heart out.
24 December 2022
26 August 2022 | or 'French Leave'
03 August 2022 | or 'Fings ain't the way they seem'
18 June 2022 | or Desolation Row
22 March 2022 | or "Every Form of Refuge Has its Price
28 October 2021 | and repeat after me - "Help Yourself"
23 September 2021 | Warning - Contains strong language and explicit drug references
23 September 2021 | or Everything's Going to Pot
04 September 2021 | or Out of my league
27 August 2021 | or 'The Whine of the Ancient Mariner
16 August 2021 | Found in marina toilet, torn into squares and nailed to door.
06 August 2021 | or 'The Myth of Fingerprints'
Recent Blog Posts
24 December 2023

The Ghosts of Christmas Past

Those were the days, my friend...

22 November 2023 | Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right

As a fully paid-up Guardianista, I am fully aware that blanket, stereotypic statements along the lines of:

14 August 2023 | A farce in three acts.

Planes, Trains & Automobiles - Preface

OK, I admit it.

British Political Discourse 101

18 December 2020 | or Hot air ballooning for beginners.
Bob&Liz Newbury
I realise that this is going to be difficult for you to bear listening to. Rest assured, though, that it's equally difficult for me to say it.

Here we go -
Deep breath.
Ready?
OK:

I'm almost starting to feel some sympathy for Boris.

After all those years of lying, cheating, plotting; all those betrayals of friends, colleagues and wives, he finally gets what he wanted and it turns out to be a poisoned chalice.

OK, the man's an unscrupulously amoral chancer; a man who can't get within half a mile of a bandwagon without jumping on it; a man totally out his depth in the high office into which he has been catapulted by a combination of happenstance, external factors and his own low animal cunning and ruthless ambition.

He is a man of such poor judgement that he allowed himself to be recorded agreeing to help a schoolfriend from Eton, a since convicted fraudster, to arrange the beating and intimidation of an investigative journalist. He has such a sense of entitlement that he just shrugged off evidence that could have potentially resulted in his being charged with being an accessory before the fact or, at the very least, with conspiracy to commit assault.

But those who live by the sword etc.

Covid 19 has made plain that despite his allusions (and delusions), Boris is no Churchill. He has accomplished the truly breath-taking achievement of taking an already dire situation, making it infinitely worse, and then rubbing salt in the wound by crowing about how bad things would have been had he not been around to save the day. His record in the hubris stakes is beaten only by that of Donald Trump*, but then Boris has always been Trump Lite.

I suspect, however, that his days may be numbered**. That flapping noise is the sound of chickens coming home to roost. Or possibly circling vultures (AKA The 1922 Committee and the European Reform Group). Buy shares in handcart manufacturers. Never, in the mystery of human politics has so much been fucked up for so many by so few.

The situation is, indeed, grave but its resolution does not need politicians or spads furthering their own selfish agendas. It needs statesmen (& women of course). It needs men (& women) with the interests of the whole nation, nay the whole of humanity, at heart, not just the furtherance of their own grubby self-serving plans. It needs men (& women) blessed with the intellect to understand the problems and the wisdom to listen to expert, informed, impartial advice, even that which they don't want to hear. Which is usually any advice which is expert, informed and impartial.

It is a sad truth that, with a very few noble exceptions, the political class in its entirety has failed this country and everyone in it: It has failed every man (& woman). It has failed every child, every businessman (or woman), every overstretched, hardworking, middle class family, and every one of the 27 people in Britain still working in manufacturing. It has failed every hedge fund manager and every pizza delivery rider. It has failed the top ten percent and it has failed those heroes (& heroines) of the NHS, but do not despair. Cometh the hour, cometh the man. (or woman, of course).

What this country needs is a man (or, at a pinch, a woman) to unite it behind a common cause based on the fundamental English British principles of tolerance, respect and dignity. The traditional English British virtues of hard work, public service and knowing one's place. What it doesn't need is the ability to speak and write in full sentences. It needs a man (OK - enough with the 'or woman' stuff already!) with the strength of character to still the moaning minnies, the doom-mongers and the nay-sayers. Someone (Now why didn't I think of that before?) without previous skeletons rattling ominously in previous cupboards, someone who can lead this once-great nation back to its former glory. Someone who can put Britain back in its rightful place as general top dog and shining example to lesser nations.

But where is our beloved Britannia to find such a man (or woman) in her (or his) (or its) hour of such desperate need? Where is our modern day Saint George. Andrew. David. Patrick. Oh bugger it! -Where is our saviour? Who will put the 'Great' back into Great Britain?

Yes - the gentleman at the back with the blue rosette, the pint of Old Peculiar and a face like a wide-mouthed frog, whom do you suggest?

Who? Me? Oh no, no no no. You are too kind, but no and thrice no. I am just the messenger, the one who comes before ***, the John the Baptist if you will. Please, still your clamour and applause. I am not worthy.

What is that - you insist? All of you? Well then, if I must, then I must. It would be churlish to deny such popular and heart-felt acclaim. Please stand with me and render a rousing chorus of 'Land of hope and Glory' followed by 'All things Bright and Beautiful' with special emphasis on verse three.

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou. I love you all.

Maestro, if you please?



* OK - and several despots in the Middle East, Central Africa and most of the ex-Soviet 'Stans.

** Possibly wishful thinking, I concede.

*** Unfortunate turn of phrase.
Comments
Current Position
Birvidik's Photos - Birvidik (Main)
15 Photos
Created 31 January 2017
3 Photos
Created 16 October 2015
The move from seagoing to rivers and canals
29 Photos
Created 11 October 2015
10 Photos
Created 6 January 2015
18 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
14 Photos
Created 17 February 2014
21 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
4 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 8 August 2013
16 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
11 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
and wintering in Lefkas
19 Photos
Created 6 February 2013
14 Photos
Created 18 August 2012
19 Photos
Created 26 June 2012
5 Photos
Created 18 January 2012
14 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
5 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
9 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
8 Photos
Created 16 October 2011
9 Photos
Created 10 October 2011
10 Photos
Created 11 July 2011
23 Photos
Created 21 June 2011
10 Photos
Created 15 May 2011
44 Photos
Created 21 April 2011
9 Photos
Created 29 March 2011
24 Photos
Created 26 March 2011
12 Photos
Created 25 December 2010
13 Photos
Created 23 December 2010
7 Photos
Created 28 September 2010
10 Photos
Created 21 September 2010
15 Photos
Created 8 August 2010
9 Photos
Created 6 July 2010
12 Photos
Created 28 June 2010
9 Photos
Created 30 May 2010
21 Photos
Created 4 May 2010
20 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
7 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
13 Photos
Created 20 December 2009
11 Photos
Created 20 December 2009
15 Photos
Created 8 September 2009
11 Photos
Created 20 August 2009
13 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
10 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
6 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
12 Photos
Created 19 July 2009
15 Photos
Created 19 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 8 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 2 June 2009
7 Photos
Created 2 June 2009
10 Photos
Created 1 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 23 May 2009
27 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
24 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
9 Photos
Created 10 February 2009
15 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
9 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
22 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
8 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
8 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
15 Photos
Created 13 August 2008
10 Photos
Created 13 August 2008
13 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
5 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
10 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
9 Photos
Created 4 July 2008
12 Photos
Created 6 June 2008
10 Photos
Created 17 May 2008
14 Photos
Created 14 May 2008
17 Photos
Created 20 April 2008
7 Photos
Created 20 April 2008
22 Photos
Created 5 March 2008
6 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
10 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
8 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
7 Photos
Created 30 December 2007
16 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
8 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
8 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
11 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 December 2007
24 Photos
Created 11 November 2007
7 Photos
Created 12 September 2007
12 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
3 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
9 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 3 August 2007
12 Photos
Created 3 August 2007
13 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
7 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
8 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 17 July 2007
3 Photos
Created 17 July 2007
21 Photos
Created 7 July 2007
22 Photos
Created 16 June 2007
16 Photos
Created 16 June 2007
4 Photos
Created 28 May 2007
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
24 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
The trip up the river Guardiana between Spain & Portugal
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
2 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
A selection of the myriad photographs taken over the 6 months in Lagos
37 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
Dia de Cidade festivities & torrential rains
21 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
4 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
3 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
8 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
18 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
18 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
2 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
6 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
7 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
22 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2007

About & Links

Photo Albums
18 December 2011
14 Photos
04 May 2010
21 Photos
SailBlogs Friends
inclusionWinds v2.0
AURA