Photo Albums
25 September 2014
18 Photos
26 March 2011
24 Photos
SailBlogs Friends
inclusionWinds v2.0
AURA

Birvidik

Vessel Name: Birvidik
Vessel Make/Model: Victory 40
Hailing Port: Jersey C.I.
Crew: Bob Newbury
About: Liz Newbury
Extra: 11 years into a 10 year plan, but we get there in the end.
24 December 2023
22 November 2023 | Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.
14 August 2023 | A farce in three acts.
14 August 2023 | Sliding Doors
14 August 2023 | The Game Commences
11 March 2023 | Joseph Heller, eat your heart out.
24 December 2022
26 August 2022 | or 'French Leave'
03 August 2022 | or 'Fings ain't the way they seem'
18 June 2022 | or Desolation Row
22 March 2022 | or "Every Form of Refuge Has its Price
28 October 2021 | and repeat after me - "Help Yourself"
23 September 2021 | Warning - Contains strong language and explicit drug references
23 September 2021 | or Everything's Going to Pot
04 September 2021 | or Out of my league
27 August 2021 | or 'The Whine of the Ancient Mariner
16 August 2021 | Found in marina toilet, torn into squares and nailed to door.
06 August 2021 | or 'The Myth of Fingerprints'
Recent Blog Posts
24 December 2023

The Ghosts of Christmas Past

Those were the days, my friend...

22 November 2023 | Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right

As a fully paid-up Guardianista, I am fully aware that blanket, stereotypic statements along the lines of:

14 August 2023 | A farce in three acts.

Planes, Trains & Automobiles - Preface

OK, I admit it.

Dancing with Doctor D - act three

30 July 2021 | Third Movement – Presto, ma no Troppo
Bob&Liz Newbury
Despite the rapid recovery, I was still surprised to be discharged that morning.

Well, I say morning.

First, they had to get me ambulatory and clean and odourless enough to be allowed to mix with the general public. A trip to the ablutions was indicated. The first attempt was not an unqualified success. Despite being ably supported by two slips of girls, I hardly made it out the door before swirling vertigo and tunnel vision made me swoon like an Edwardian actress in full emote and sit gently on the floor, gazing vacantly up at my helpers. I swallowed my male pride and allowed the two slips of girls to lift me bodily into a wheelchair in one easy swoop. OK everybody, cabaret's over. Nothing more to see here. Move along please.

The second attempted fared better on several fronts. Firstly I made it as far as the bathroom with only the odd lurch and stagger. Secondly, one of the slips-of-girls came in with me, locked the door, turned to me and said "OK, I'll give you a hand. Get your gown and pants off."

It's been a long time since I've had an offer like that from a 25 year old woman. Or man, for that matter.

"Morning, Mr Newbury."
"Not now you fool! Can't you see I'm busy?
"Good way to go, though. Envy of all your friends and all that. Go down in folk history etc."
"Bugger off! And watch what you're doing with that bloody scythe."


Fortunately, (or unfortunately, depending on your viewpoint) her interest was purely professional, and patently undriven by father issues. Or, possibly more appropriately, grandfather issues. As a result, I was spared the ignominy of being placed on the sex offenders' register, and the humiliation of being living proof that Parkinson's and the drugs used to treat it, tend to have a reinforcing effect on performance anxiety.

Once that little misunderstanding had been cleared up to everyone's satisfaction, and after a good scrub down, I was made presentable for public viewing and booted out into the corridor. I hadn't managed to grab a shave, though, so I still looked like a bewildered tramp who'd wandered into the hospital thinking it was an offie.

All I had to do now was get home. My original plan had been to take the fifteen-minute walk to the bus station, buy a ticket and take the next coach to Lagos before phoning Liz to get a lift back home. I called, and put this plan to Liz, who promptly (& quite reasonably) vetoed it. I had to concur. I was still quite woozy, and neither of us fancied the idea of my passing out and falling under the wheels of the 14:50 to Seville.

"Sounds good to me."
"I thought I told you to bugger off."
"Sorry. Too good a chance to miss."


While I was exploring my options, slip-of-a-girl took pity on the bumbling crumbly and came to the rescue. "Senhor Robert," she called down the corridor, "I have arranged transport for you. It will be here in 30 minutes." And so it was. She had arranged me a 90-day pass which entitled me to free transportation from my front door to any medical facility in the country that would have me. How they manage to fund such a scheme is beyond me.

I was introduced to my driver, Gio, who led me down to a spanking new Ford Focus, resplendent in red and white livery and emblazoned with the legend Transporte de Doentes Não Urgentes. Não Urgente? It was pretty bloody urgente to me. I wanted to get home, ASA-sodding-P. I hadn't had a drink for two days. Do you realise, there was no bar in that ITU. Bloody disgraceful.

Be careful what you wish for.

Gio sat me in the back, alongside the only other passenger, a tiny, bird-like old lady called Maria. Actually, I just guessed that, but it's a good bet. Virtually all Portuguese women are called Maria. Causes all manner of confusion. This Maria had recently lost an eye to cancer and was on her way back home to Silves. We were to drop her off on our way to Lagos.

Gio set off. He was obviously proud of his new car, and proceeded to put it through its paces for our admiration, approval and delectation. He jinked, swerved and zig-zagged his way through the busy Lisbon traffic, screeching his tyres and leaving a trail of destruction and gridlock in his wake. He kept this up until he got to the motorway, where he really let rip.

The absolute speed limit on Portuguese motorways is 120 kph. (75 mph, as near as dammit). We were doing a minimum of 165 kph, and according to the GPS, of which I had a disturbingly clear view, frequently hit a whisker under 200 kph (120 mph). I have never traveled that fast on land in my life and I was absolutely terrified. As if that wasn't bad enough, he proceeded to crank up the terror quotient by adjusting his mask and sunglasses with both hands, while steering with his knees. I couldn't help but do back of the envelope calculations on the amount of force involved should we crash at that speed. The likelihood of any of us surviving was infinitesimal. Oh the irony of it all. To have a melanoma taken out of the game, survive a post-anaesthetic crisis and avoid swooning under the wheels of a number 62 bus, only to get turned into burger mince half an hour from home.

"Hello - this sounds promising."
"Oh no - not again! Don't you know it's bad form to kick a man when he's down? And mind that bloody scythe - you'll have someone's eye out with that. Oh, sorry Maria."


As if on cue we passed the clearing up phase of an horrendous accident. Two shells were intertwined in a tableau of destruction. Both cars had rolled and were flattened like pancakes. One car had ended up with its bonnet in the passenger seat. There wasn't a window left intact and the whole scene was surrounded by glistening fragments. The bombeiros were hosing the scene down and the run-off was suspiciously pink. Survival probability < 0.001.

"Hoi, Death! Why don't you stop bugging us and go and sort out that lot?"
"Already have. Finished the paperwork half an hour ago."
"What sort of state were they in?"
"You really don't want to know. Your mental arithmetic stinks. You were out by an order of magnitude."


The graphic warning at the side of the road had no effect on Gio, who cheerfully continued to wreak havoc on Portuguese traffic patterns and my blood pressure. I was utterly convinced that I would never get out of the car alive. It normally takes 4 - 5 hours to drive from Lisbon to Lagos. He did it in a whisker over two. And that included detouring to Silves and prising Maria out of her foetal position in the footwell before carrying her sobbing into the arms of her family. I didn't believe I'd got out of it alive, let alone intact, until Gio pulled the handbrake on outside the house. Liz opened the door and I stumbled gratefully through it.

"Good evening, Mr. Newbury. Am I too late?"
"Damned right you are!"
"Never mind - I can wait."
"So can I, Matey. So can I."

Comments
Current Position
Birvidik's Photos - Birvidik (Main)
15 Photos
Created 31 January 2017
3 Photos
Created 16 October 2015
The move from seagoing to rivers and canals
29 Photos
Created 11 October 2015
10 Photos
Created 6 January 2015
18 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
14 Photos
Created 17 February 2014
21 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
4 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 8 August 2013
16 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
11 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
and wintering in Lefkas
19 Photos
Created 6 February 2013
14 Photos
Created 18 August 2012
19 Photos
Created 26 June 2012
5 Photos
Created 18 January 2012
14 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
5 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
9 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
8 Photos
Created 16 October 2011
9 Photos
Created 10 October 2011
10 Photos
Created 11 July 2011
23 Photos
Created 21 June 2011
10 Photos
Created 15 May 2011
44 Photos
Created 21 April 2011
9 Photos
Created 29 March 2011
24 Photos
Created 26 March 2011
12 Photos
Created 25 December 2010
13 Photos
Created 23 December 2010
7 Photos
Created 28 September 2010
10 Photos
Created 21 September 2010
15 Photos
Created 8 August 2010
9 Photos
Created 6 July 2010
12 Photos
Created 28 June 2010
9 Photos
Created 30 May 2010
21 Photos
Created 4 May 2010
20 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
7 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
13 Photos
Created 20 December 2009
11 Photos
Created 20 December 2009
15 Photos
Created 8 September 2009
11 Photos
Created 20 August 2009
13 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
10 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
6 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
12 Photos
Created 19 July 2009
15 Photos
Created 19 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 8 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 2 June 2009
7 Photos
Created 2 June 2009
10 Photos
Created 1 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 23 May 2009
27 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
24 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
9 Photos
Created 10 February 2009
15 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
9 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
22 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
8 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
8 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
15 Photos
Created 13 August 2008
10 Photos
Created 13 August 2008
13 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
5 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
10 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
9 Photos
Created 4 July 2008
12 Photos
Created 6 June 2008
10 Photos
Created 17 May 2008
14 Photos
Created 14 May 2008
17 Photos
Created 20 April 2008
7 Photos
Created 20 April 2008
22 Photos
Created 5 March 2008
6 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
10 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
8 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
7 Photos
Created 30 December 2007
16 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
8 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
8 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
11 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 December 2007
24 Photos
Created 11 November 2007
7 Photos
Created 12 September 2007
12 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
3 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
9 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 3 August 2007
12 Photos
Created 3 August 2007
13 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
7 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
8 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 17 July 2007
3 Photos
Created 17 July 2007
21 Photos
Created 7 July 2007
22 Photos
Created 16 June 2007
16 Photos
Created 16 June 2007
4 Photos
Created 28 May 2007
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
24 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
The trip up the river Guardiana between Spain & Portugal
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
2 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
A selection of the myriad photographs taken over the 6 months in Lagos
37 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
Dia de Cidade festivities & torrential rains
21 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
4 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
3 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
8 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
18 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
18 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
2 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
6 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
7 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
22 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2007

About & Links

Photo Albums
25 September 2014
18 Photos
26 March 2011
24 Photos
SailBlogs Friends
inclusionWinds v2.0
AURA