Yorkshireman at Sea

In Europe after crossing the Pond

28 June 2016 | La Linea, Spain
28 June 2015 | Chipiona, Andalusia
25 June 2015 | Vila Real de Santo Antonio
24 June 2015 | Faro, Portugal
23 June 2015 | Portimao
22 June 2015 | Lagos, Portugal
21 June 2015 | Sagres, Portugal
20 June 2015 | Lagos, Portugal
19 June 2015 | Cabo de Sao Vicente
18 June 2015 | Atlantic Ocean
14 June 2015 | Ste Maria
11 June 2015 | Ponta Delgada

What would your mother want you doing and bloody seagulls

10 June 2015 | Ponta Delgado
Andrew
Leaving Angra do Heroisma seemed premature, but leave we had to for a night passage to the next island, Sao Miguel, and the port of Ponta Delgado. The instruction was to time arrival for 9.00am when the customs office opened. We duely tied up on the hard concrete dock at 0910, and reported in, paid our dock fee and then moved over to the new marina just to the West. Inevitably, several other boats were arriving at the same time, to the racket of a massive pressure washer and much commotion on the dock. The reason; seemingly the dock was coated with a think layer of seagull guano and the detritus of many chicken leg meals. It looked like the dock had not been used for months, but the dock lads assured us that if the cleaning had been done the day before, it would have looked the same. Hmmm, not sure about that!

What a mess,however a day later and given the opportunity to dry, it did not seem so bad!

First order of the day? Isabell reported an itchy eye, so another trip to an Atlantic healthcare establishment, on Portugal National day to boot. Taxi to hospital, a remarkably quick triage and consultation, taxi to pharmacy, taxi to a second pharmacy (stock out) and a taxi back to the marina. Thankfully the taxi rides cost just 5 Euros, and in the spirit of getting to know the locals, I asked one, what he normally did on National Day (like July 4!)?

Answer: "work" I tried again with our young driver: "What would your mother like you to do?" Answer: "work" End of conversation!

Later that evening, we enjoyed an incongruous evening 10 pin bowling. A fun evening with our fellow sailors, with a couple of beers.

A strange end to a long day, before crashing into bed.
Comments
Vessel Name: Blea Tarn
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 423
Hailing Port: Charleston, SC and eventually Brixham, England
Blea Tarn's Photos - Main
2 Sub-Albums
Created 30 January 2015
4 Photos
Created 3 January 2015
9 Photos
Created 7 December 2014