Yorkshireman at Sea

In Europe after crossing the Pond

28 June 2016 | La Linea, Spain
28 June 2015 | Chipiona, Andalusia
25 June 2015 | Vila Real de Santo Antonio
24 June 2015 | Faro, Portugal
23 June 2015 | Portimao
22 June 2015 | Lagos, Portugal
21 June 2015 | Sagres, Portugal
20 June 2015 | Lagos, Portugal
19 June 2015 | Cabo de Sao Vicente
18 June 2015 | Atlantic Ocean
14 June 2015 | Ste Maria
11 June 2015 | Ponta Delgada

The Algarve and fixing a few things

23 June 2015 | Portimao
One thing that you don’t need on a transatlantic crossing is an anchor. In fact it is a bit of an encumbrance, sitting on the bow with hundreds of pounds of weight pounding down the waves. Back doing some coastal cruising, it becomes a necessity, and it was for this reason we found our way to Portimoa just east along the coast. Yes, we had to BOAT (break out another thousand) and get the windlass repaired.
The previous day we had sadly said goodbye to Tammie getting he to the airport just in time for her return to New York, then later making a second trip to Faro to pick up Isabell’s travel buddy, Anthony who was coming in from New York. Inevitably the flights did not coincide so we ran up petrol and toll bills running backwards and forwards to the main Algarve airport.
The repair of the windlass, organized by Chris at the Algarve Boat Charter, and the engineer Mike who had at least indicated a repair was possible, or it would be 3 BOATS for a new one.
We checked out of Lagos for the last time and motor sailed the short distance to Portimoa one of the humungus resort towns of the Portuguese coast, populated by better off holiday makers from Germany, UK and France. The town’s resort hotels dominated the coastline as we progressed just off shore, more people that we wanted to deal with at this time. We therefore headed directly to the working shipyard up river, and tied up to the small pontoon next to the boat hoist.
After getting the windlass reinstalled, we made our way to the marina, and instead of heading to the bright lights of Portimoa selected a short ferry ride over the river to the small town of Ferragudo for a walk up the hill and dinner in the square basking in the warm evening sunshine. A delightful town, but not enough to make us stay longer.

A short and necessary trip to this town, but still expensive for a place to leave Blea Tarn, so we continued further east to explore more of this delightful coast.

Not everything fixed, but at least the crucial windlass was repaired and working as we left.
Comments
Vessel Name: Blea Tarn
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 423
Hailing Port: Charleston, SC and eventually Brixham, England
Blea Tarn's Photos - Main
2 Sub-Albums
Created 30 January 2015
4 Photos
Created 3 January 2015
9 Photos
Created 7 December 2014