Yorkshireman at Sea

In Europe after crossing the Pond

28 June 2016 | La Linea, Spain
28 June 2015 | Chipiona, Andalusia
25 June 2015 | Vila Real de Santo Antonio
24 June 2015 | Faro, Portugal
23 June 2015 | Portimao
22 June 2015 | Lagos, Portugal
21 June 2015 | Sagres, Portugal
20 June 2015 | Lagos, Portugal
19 June 2015 | Cabo de Sao Vicente
18 June 2015 | Atlantic Ocean
14 June 2015 | Ste Maria
11 June 2015 | Ponta Delgada

In the Wake of the Phoenicians and a few other dudes

29 June 2015 | Cadiz, Spain
The walls of Cadiz loomed across the bay, a port that has been entered by boat for over 3000 years. The city was founded by the Phoenicians of Tyre in 1104BC as Agadir. How cool to arrive in their wake, but also in the wakes of Hannibal of Carthage, Julius Caesar, the Visigoths of Byzantine, the Moors of Arabic and Berber descent and Alphonso X of Castile who founded the Spanish port city in 1262.

How about the sailors who came later, Columbus who sailed out of Cadiz on his second and fourth voyages, Francis Drake who raided the city in 1587, 'Singeing of the King of Spains Beard'. The position of the city during the 18th Century as the center of American trade, and the rapid growth of the city much as we see it today. Despite this, the later the blockading of the city by the British during the Napoleonic wars, and the subsequent reinstatement of the Spanish monarchy by the Cortes in 1870.

The marina (again run by APPA) is situated just a kilometer from the old city, and located behind the northern breakwater and attached beyond the Cruise ship berth and container port. Again somewhat soleless, it nevertheless is just 10 minutes from the vibrant old city of Cadiz. We walked in after the heat of the day had started to dissipate around 8.30pm. Entering the old city, the streets seemed to draw in, and being only 10 feet or so wide, dramatically echoed the sounds of the city waking up from it's siesta.

And what a noise. 1000s of local people spill out of their homes, to shop, walk the dog, let the kids run wild in the streets, take a beer in one of the spectacular squares, and later around 10.00pm sit down for dinner. Quite the opposite feel of the US Nanny state, kids running around with friends, scootering around without a helmet or knee pad in sight. Really a throwback to a less earnest and friendly age.

We had our dinner in Plaza San Francisco simply people watching, while enjoying local food and a cold beer. What a treat in the hot evening air.

We took a taxi back to the marina later, looking forward to our trip into the city to see some of the sights the next day. A super evening in the wake of the Phoenicians, even in our low key and quiet way...
Comments
Vessel Name: Blea Tarn
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 423
Hailing Port: Charleston, SC and eventually Brixham, England
Blea Tarn's Photos - Main
2 Sub-Albums
Created 30 January 2015
4 Photos
Created 3 January 2015
9 Photos
Created 7 December 2014