Blessed Lady

This is the cruising blog of the sailing yacht Mabrouka. The Favorites in the side bar allow those with discriminating taste to filter for just the stuff you want to read. Thanks for visiting, Roy.

13 September 2015
21 August 2015
21 August 2015
20 June 2015 | Marina Mazatlan, Mazatlan, Mexico
15 June 2015 | Marina Mazatlan, Mazatlan, Mexico
15 June 2015 | Marina Mazatlan, Mazatlan, Mexico
15 June 2015 | Mazatlan Marina, Mazatlan Mexico
13 April 2015 | Off Club Nautico, Mazatlan Commercial Harbor, Mazatlan, MX
15 February 2015 | Marina Mazatlan, Mazatlan, Mexico
13 February 2015 | Marina Mazatlan, Mazatlan, Mexico
25 January 2015
06 January 2015 | Mazatlan, MX
24 December 2014 | Marina Mazatlan, Mazatlan, Mexico
24 December 2014 | Mazatlan, MX
22 December 2014
21 December 2014
18 December 2014 | Playa Isla de la Piedra, Mazatlan, MX
18 December 2014 | Mazatlan, MX
15 December 2014 | Ensenada des los Muertos, Mexico

Shake, Rattle and Roll

18 November 2014 | Caleta Los Lobos
Roy / Sunny and warm, but breezy
The memories of Keb' Mos' bluesy rhythms that I'd gone to bed with gave way to the banging of my anchor chain in the bow roller somewhere around midnight. Mabrouka was pitching wildly, slacking the chain as the bow dove and slamming it back into the bow roller as it rose on the next wave. The gentle night had turned into a blow that was driving a couple of feet of chop into the bay.

Now that cliff a few dark feet behind us looked truly terrifying. With each bang of the anchor chain I pictured something breaking and went up to the foredeck to reassure myself that Mabrouka could save herself and us from being dashed on the rocks. There was nothing budging up there, but the swivel connecting the chain to the anchor was beyond my sight, so I was compelled to continue my worry.

Alternatives involved upping anchor at oh-dark-thirty and either resetting it blindly among other pitching boats or going out onto an unfamiliar sea to wait or to search for calmer waters. Assessing how quickly I could and how long I'd have to start the engine, I sat watch for a while instead. Somehow I convinced myself it would be okay and returned to my bunk to lie down and rest, if not actually sleep.

I suppose I did doze a little, because I finally woke to a morning that was not much more reassuring in the light. Tightly spaced three foot crests were still rolling in and the chain was still snapping taught with every other wave. I was dubious, but Zach, who preferred his bed outside in the cockpit, seemed still to be holding onto sleep. I roused him to take up anchor duty and started the engine.

Exploring Balandra bay, we kept hoping the next hundred yards would be calm enough, but it always seemed to have been a tease when we closed the distance. Andante had weighed anchor, too, and finally settled into the crook of a cliff near a crescent of sand in the north side, but I wasn't satisfied and took Mabrouka out to explore Caleta Los Lobos a short half mile south.

What we found there was placid. Open to the east instead of Balandra's northwest, Lobos only rippled with the breeze that flowed over the hills. It was every bit as pretty as Balandra, the inner reaches of its bays rimmed with white sand beaches and the added scenic punctuation of mangrove, ...well, groves. We reported back by VHF that we were staying here, poked around for a good spot, and dropped the anchor. The simple task of making pancakes and Zach's refreshing morning snorkel stood in stark contrast to the pounding evening before. It wasn't long before we were joined by other Balandran refugees: Flying Squirrel, Andante, and Northern Winds. Apropos came too, but for some reason decided to head on to La Paz for more civilized R and R.

The day evolved into chore time. Enlisting Zach's assistance, we configured a new experimental anchor bridle, fitted attachments for a dinghy step on the transom, cleaned out three months worth of seagoing yuck from behind the galley stove, made a hold-back for a cabinet door, cleaned some rust off some hull fittings, and greased the anchor winch brake.

The remainder of the day was taken up visiting on Andante, snorkeling, editing pictures, generally lazing, and making plans for La Paz the next day.

Eel.
Comments
Vessel Name: Mabrouka
Vessel Make/Model: CT-41
Hailing Port: Seattle, WA
Crew: Roy Neyman
About:
Mabrouka and I have been partners in crime since October 1998, hanging about in West Coast waters, first in San Diego, then in Seattle. All of that time we've lived together aboard. [...]
Extra:
I've called this blog "Blessed Lady" because that's my preferred translation from Arabic for "Mabrouka". She's a 1980 CT-41, one of several clones of the original Bill Garden design Mariner ketches. At 50 feet from the tip of her mizzen boom to the tip of her bow sprit, she's 16 tons of [...]
Mabrouka's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 10 of 10
1
On the streets of Freemont
Street art edited.
Elvis the stuffed cat is a memento of my daughters at the age of about 5.  The peace sign was a gift from good friend, Karyn Borcich.  Thanks to both!
This is Swan as I knew him, though in a more rugged environment than we ever shared.  We usually met at the coffee shop or at Voula
This is of Swan as I would also like to have known him, ...cigarettes, cameras and wine.
This is Steve hosting our Elliott Bay Design Group company picnic at his vacation home in Darington.
I never went fishing with Steve, although he let me try out his fly casting rig in the river by his house during one of the company picnics he hosted.  I
The winter slip on Lake Union
Temporary raft up with Molly Bella near my old slip at Stimson Marina
 
1
This album shares photos from mainland and Baja Mexico.
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 1 March 2015
The beginning of the South Pacific cruise, heading to San Diego and Mexico
1 Photo | 6 Sub-Albums
Created 15 August 2014
Killing time with local sailing and projects before heading south with the Coho Ho Ho cruiser's rally
56 Photos
Created 29 June 2014
Kathy and Karyn (with a "Y") used me as an excuse for a party. I was just fine with that!
25 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
On Lake Union where Mabrouka and I spent the winter
20 Photos
Created 31 May 2014
Shakedown cruise to Port Townsend
7 Photos
Created 25 May 2014
Gunkholing in the Seattle area, with me and Mabrouka getting our sea legs back under us.
50 Photos | 28 Sub-Albums
Created 14 April 2013
Custom made sailing skiff hand-built by NW School of Wooden Boatbuilding in Port Hadlock, WA
18 Photos
Created 21 March 2013
Pre-retirement cruising pics
27 Photos
Created 21 March 2013
Photos accompanying Projects blogs.
43 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 12 March 2013