Blew Beyond

Lisbon - July 2017

31 July 2017
27/7/17 - It was such a relief to be back in Europe. We settled into 10 days of very relaxed living, once the crew left. We have been arranging the boat jobs which was the usual fight to organise people and keep on top of them. We decided to get BB on the market reasoning that it was better to start marketing before we are desperate to sell and while we are not in a hurry. We organised our trip to Dubai, bought tickets and registered on a house sitting website with a view to this trip and also opportunities in the future for travel. I went on a diet, the effects of 8 weeks of eating with young men had definitely taken a toll and we took up our running with James acting as though we are undertaking marathon training! We entered and took part on a cycle event in the middle of Lisbon, 5000 people all on a 5 mile stretch, we moved so slowly at time that it was impossible to stay upright on the bike. Still the cycle there and back was good for us. We love Lisbon just as much this time as last, it’s such a wonderful city, old buildings, the river, lovely views but a fun vibe with something always going on and lots of music everywhere.
We are still thinking about what to do long term but have a good plan for the next 3 months until we go to Dubai. I think that being in Dubai will give us a chance to see if there are any short term job opportunities there for us and coming back to the UK for the winter will give us a feel for being home if we sell the boat. I feel pretty relaxed about seeing what happens which is novel for me, queen of the plan! James seems more twitchy about it and has taken on Boat selling as his new focus. We always wanted to cruise the Med and I’m looking forward to it. We are getting people booked in for visits and that’s a plus so it’s all good at the moment. The first of those visitors is the Watson Fam, Alex, Andy, Will and Ted. Can’t wait to see them and have an excuse to go to the aquarium etc – I’ll let them think I’m doing them a favour lol.
31/7/17
We have had a fab time with the Watson’s, exhausted though, we have forgotten how full on two young children can be. We packed in the sights with a day in Cas Cais and the beach, day in Lisbon with the flea market and treasure hunting, a tuk tuk ride and a wander along the front and a day in Parc Dos Nacoes and the Aquarium. The Aquarium was fantastic, we all loved it. Oh, and we fitted in quite a lot of eating and drinking too! The boat seems very empty and quiet again and we will need to get back to entertaining ourselves.
We’ve had quite a lot of responses to our boat advert, some obvious scams but some genuine interest. More activity than we expected. It is quite difficult to get across that all boats require constant maintenance and repair. When we bought BB we thought it was an advantage that it had been sat doing very little for ages, engine hours low and not much running of systems. We now know, having found that most systems didn’t work, parts were perished and seized when we tried to use them that a boat that is being used, being maintained, serviced and kept up together is a much better buy. Blew Beyond is in the best shape she has been since we did the first Atlantic crossing and in some ways we are reluctant to sell her when everything is working and ready to go. But we’re in no rush, better to be in this position than desperate to sell.
Comments
Vessel Name: Blew Beyond
Vessel Make/Model: Oyster 49PH
Hailing Port: Dartmouth
Crew: James and Melanie
About:
James Wilkinson and Melanie Lessels met at junior school, lived in the same village, waited for the school bus together, and, through Hill Head Sailing Club on the Solent, became friends. [...]
Social:

From Mirror Dinghy to Around the World Adventure

Who: James and Melanie
Port: Dartmouth