The admirals great adventure

Emptying the money bank & filling the memory bank

Spain - Marbella

01 May 2014
Ian
Marbella - famed for its British Ex-Pat community, its drug dealing (allegedly) community and a known hide out for criminals on the run from UK justice for many years,

Marbella was not somewhere I was concerned to visit, it was however a convenient distance from Estapona and we could anchor outside, that was a bonus, stupidly we decided to venture inside the harbour as there was a storm due in a few days and i wanted somewhere to hole up to avoid problems.

Fortunately we only took the rib into the marina , I tied up the little rib to one of the numerous small empty berths outside the office and walked into see the marinero, he was out on the pontoons we were told as the office was locked.

So we walked off to see if we could find him to enquire about berthing and prices ETC - 45 minutes is all it took for someone to steal the kill cord from the bag hanging under the seat of the rib , fortunately I hadn't taken the life jackets as they would have been there too.

So in a mighty piss as I now faced a 2 KM row back to the yacht at anchor , I asked the now returned mariner to review the security video as it was under a bloody camera , the answer - you got it - MANYANA ...Aghhhh

I would have anchored in a gale force 8 right off of the beach rather than pay to go in amongst this den of thieves, we left the following morning still cursing the low lives in Marbella - yes Im sure they aren't all the same - who cares we hated the place.

About Marbella ;

MARBELLA HISTORY

Marbella is a city that is more popularly known as the Spanish Riviera reserved for the jet set and famous, however Marbella is equally rich in culture and history that is lesser known to the average tourist.

In a short span of only 50 years, Marbella has been transformed from a small fishing and farming village into an international tourist destination boasting a uniquely mild climate, 11 golf courses, 26 kilometers of beautiful beaches, breathtaking mountain ranges, a large network of quality hotels, a fishing port, three marinas and top class eateries. What was once an ancient Moorish town is now an important commercial and tourist center.

GEOGRAPHY

Marbella is located in the region called Andalusia in Spain. Located along the Mediterranean Sea in the province of Malaga, Marbella has approximately 100,000 inhabitants, however this number expands to nearly one million during the tourist season in summer with vacationers mostly arriving from Northern Europe, the UK and Ireland.

THE ROMANS

Marbella history begins in approximately 1600 BC when it was conquered by the Romans who named the city Salduba, which means Salt City. However, scientist have found remains that the area has been inhabited since the Paleolithic and Phoenician eras. There are remains of the Roman era throughout the city such as the Roman Baths and the Villa Romana de Rio Verde in the area of San Pedro de Alcantara. There are even remains of early Christians at the Basilica de San Pedro that dates back to the 3rd century AD.

ARAB CONQUEST
In the 6th century Arabs arrived in southern Spain bringing Islamic rule and changing the name of the town to Marbil-la,. A fortress and a defense wall was built with only three access points to protect them from Christian attacks. The fortress remains today, however the moat and the portals have vanished. Marbella was ruled by Arabs for nearly 9 centuries which is still evident today by its Moorish architecture in various parts of the city.

MARBELLA RECONQUERED
In 1485 Marbella was conquered by the Spanish Catholic Monarchs led by King Fernando, who forced the defeated caliph Mohamed Abuenza to turn over the keys of Marbella. In the centuries to come Marbella history as well as the town went through dramatic changes. The original Muslim Medina in the current Old Town was destroyed in order to open up a new square, which today is called Plaza de los Naranjos, or Orange Square.

Several centuries later, the San Luis fort was built by the locals to protect them from the many pirates who attempted to raid the city. Although the fort has been destroyed by the French during the Peninsula War (1808-1814), there still remains a tower which can be seen in the gardens of the Hotel Fuerte in the center of town.

INDUSTRIAL AGE
After this, Marbella history continues to develop, however slowly. The city grows as a farming and agricultural society as well as joining the industrial movement with the founding of the first iron foundry in Spain to install blast furnaces. Buildings, bridges and roads began to crop up during the 19th century adapting to the growing industrial needs making Marbella the second most important industrial province on the peninsula.

MODERN MARBELLA
Throughout the 19th century Marbella remained a small agricultural town of only 10,000 inhabitants until the 1940s when Prince Alfonso de Hohenlohe landed in Marbella as a result of a problem with his Rolls Royce. This is where Marbella history takes an interesting turn. The Prince was so enchanted with the city that he decided to buy land for commercial purposes building hotels and apartment complexes. In 1954 he opened up the Marbella Club Hotel, which still stands today on the Golden Mile. Having aristocratic roots and kinship to the royal courts of Europe, Price Hohenlohe quickly convinced Europe's ruling elite to vacation in this new hot spot in casual yet discreet luxury.

The 70's saw the arrival of Prince Fahd bin Abdul Aziz al-Saud, the former King and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia, who broke the bank at the Casino of Monte Carlo. King Fahd's love affair with Marbella meant good times for the locals as he paraded around the city spending excess amounts of money. It is said he had 3,000 courtiers and one Fahd visit to Puerto Banus would raise profits by 35,000 Euros a day. King Fahd´s death in 2005 came with great mourning to the many locals who profited from his spending sprees. Even the local mayor at the time, Marisol Yague, declared an official three day mourning and the town hall passed a decree declaring King Fahd an "Adopted Son of the Municipality".

The 90's welcomed the mayor of Marbella Jesus Gil, a builder and president of the soccer club Atletico Madrid, who continued to develop the city in new directions improving its infrastructure, sports arenas, cultural centers, municipal offices, parks, golf courses and more. However, in recent years Marbella has been associated with scandals of government corruption and organized crime making Marbella history. Regardless, the jet set and famous continue to flock to Marbella's warm weather and cool beaches. Some of Marbella's most famous residents include famous actors such as Antonio Banderas, Melanie Griffith, and Dolph Lundgren as well as famous English songwriter Richard Daniel Roman. Rod Stewart once resided in Marbella in the 80's as well as actress Deborah Kerr and her husband producer Peter Viertel. Sean Connery also once lived in Marbella until he had a disagreement with the local press and government. Sir Alan Sugar of The Apprentice in the UK continues to reside in Marbella as well as James Hewitt, famous for his liaison with Princess Diana.

The case of the missing hat......

Hat

Stolen by Marbella crabs ?
Vessel Name: Blown Away
Vessel Make/Model: Peter Ibold - Hedonist Steel ketch
Hailing Port: Bristol - UK
Crew: Admiral Horatio Nelson and motley crew
About: WARNING: MAY CONTAIN NUTS
Blown Away's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 5 of 5
1
La Rochelle
La Rochelle
Il D Yeu
Il D Yeu
Il D Yeu
 
1
6 Photos
Created 1 February 2017
A short yard list of work to prepare BA for summer 2016 and the adventures ahead.
13 Photos
Created 15 December 2015
16 Photos
Created 21 November 2015
No Photos
Created 21 October 2015
No Photos
Created 18 October 2015
18 Photos
Created 3 September 2015
some pictures of offshore life
6 Photos
Created 29 August 2015
A file of strange phenomenon seen at anchor
5 Photos
Created 8 August 2015
9 Photos
Created 11 July 2015
7 Photos
Created 28 June 2015
1 Photo
Created 28 June 2015
Beautiful - beautiful port
28 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
54 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 5 April 2015
What a Beautiful city - highly recommended
25 Photos
Created 5 April 2015
Ibiza Island - Balearics - Highly recommended
12 Photos
Created 14 January 2015
Home to more than just the apes
5 Photos
Created 14 January 2015
Moorish Castle in Grenada - beautiful !
10 Photos
Created 14 January 2015
The Castle in almeria - stunning !
6 Photos
Created 14 January 2015
The Balearics Island
4 Photos
Created 12 November 2014
Pictures of the crew and family at various locations
58 Photos
Created 17 September 2013
Beautiful city of Northern Spain
3 Photos
Created 22 August 2013
3 Photos
Created 22 August 2013
5 Photos
Created 13 August 2013
3 Photos
Created 13 August 2013
8 Photos
Created 31 July 2013
3 Photos
Created 27 July 2013
Fitting the Hydro vane
4 Photos
Created 23 June 2013
google maps
3 Photos
Created 20 June 2013
Loved the Helford river - could spend ages here out of season - summer - Its packed !
6 Photos
Created 18 June 2013
The brest a man can get !
12 Photos
Created 13 June 2013
cold - way too cold !
7 Photos
Created 13 June 2013
Hygiene - we laugh at you ! Clearing unexploded ordnance in the mouth of the shat al arab river Iraq
27 Photos
Created 13 June 2013
HSE. We laugh at you ! Anti piracy patrols - Mombassa - Tanzania - Dar Salam - Ghana - Nigeria
19 Photos
Created 13 June 2013
Simon - sam - holly - lord admiral Horatio Nelson & the repair guy
11 Photos
Created 13 June 2013
Ho Chi Minn city (AKA Saigon)
20 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Seismic research around Australia - great crew - great time - sad to say good bye !
15 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Ku pang Indonesia
13 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Bye bye Britain
7 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
A collection of pictures from falmouth - not my favourite place
12 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Winter in plymouth
7 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
I could live here !
12 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
The endless list
78 Photos
Created 12 June 2013