22 April 2019
We are in Santa Barbara waiting for a weather window to head north around Pt Conception. But what a nice place to wait! The sun emerged today, we had all got a good night's sleep, and the world was a lovely place once again.
I like this town - within walking distance of the marina, and lots of shops, restaurants and happy people.
Ventura, heading north
19 April 2019
Here we are leaving San Diego at sunrise.
We did a big chunk of the trip north - 150 miles to Ventura. This way we bypassed LA and the busy San Pedro shipping channel. We had to keep a close watch, especially at night - there was lots of traffic, and we were unused to so much activity.
Next stop, Santa Barbara, an easy 20 miles away.
Back in the USA
16 April 2019
After 14 days at sea, we made it to San Diego. As we pulled into the harbor, we started contacting marinas to find a slip - but everyone we called was full! I saw an empty slot on a dock on Shelter Island and pulled in, just so we could get our bearings. It turns out this was the municipal pier, and we were able to reserve a place for a couple of nights.
We did laundry, and started drying out the boat. And got some rest. Next night, we took Alex out for her birthday steak dinner.
31 March 2019
There are two ways to return to California from Mexico. The most common is to hug the coast from Cabo to Dan Diego. Since this route means powering against the prevailing winds, waves and currents, it's called the "Baja Bash". The common way to do this is load your boat with as much fuel as possible, wait for a weather window, and motor as far as you can until you can duck into an anchorage and wait for the next window. This route is so unpleasant that some people decide to sell their boat in La Paz rather than try to bring it north.
The other route is the one used by clipper ships. They would range far offshore, staying on a starboard tack for a week or so. Then tack back toward the coast. And this is our plan as well.
We are prepping for our trip north. This involves installing new batteries, changing the engine oil, cooking vats of stew and chilli for the passage, and many more items. We just stowed food for 3 weeks, rolled up and stowed the dinghy, and rigged our staysail. Tomorrow I go to Immigration and the Capitania de Puerto to check us out of the country. And then we're off. Next stop, California.
Cabo San Lucas madness
30 March 2019
We motored to cover the 16 NM from San Jose to Cabo San Lucas -- because the wind was on our nose. Of course. Dropped anchor just off the beach, and dinghied into town.
It's spring break month here, and the bars and restaurants are geared up. Music is pumping until 3 AM, touts urge you to enter their restaurants and drink ¡mas tequila!, and there are groups of sunburned girls wandering about.
We've been in Mexico long enough now to be shocked at the prices here. $2.50 for a beer? You must be joking!
San Jose del Cabo
27 March 2019
There’s a rule of cruising: it doesn’t matter where you’re going, the wind will always be on your nose. We were promised a lovely beam reach for our crossing from Mazatlan - we were misled.
We spent most of the three days close hauled, pounding through the Sea of Cortez waves. When the wind died, we motored straight at our destination. We were very happy to tie up at the marina in San Jose del Cabo.
This is a nice town - relatively low key compared to its bratty cousin at Cabo San Lucas.