Blue Moon NZbound

22 December 2012
23 June 2012 | McLeod Bay New Zealand
22 January 2012
22 January 2012
22 January 2012
22 January 2012
22 January 2012
23 November 2011
23 November 2011
23 November 2011
23 November 2011
23 November 2011
19 November 2011
19 November 2011
18 November 2011
17 November 2011
15 November 2011
14 November 2011

01 August 2011
The lonely planet adds a disclaimer to their statement that Bora Bora is “THE ONE” – the lagoon doesn’t always look like a turquoise-backed mirror. Well they got that right. The day after we arrived, the wind started to howl. Our planned bike ride around the island was abandoned one third of the way around due to lashing rain. We peddled on for a while, hoping the little storm would pass but eventually we turned around and let the wind blow our drenched and miserable selves back to the boat. I shivered in my bunk the rest of the afternoon and awoke the following morning with a cold. So this has been our week in the “Gem of the Pacific” hiding from the wind, sneezing and coughing. We did manage a visit to the Hilton during a sunny spell. We had an introduction to the Maitre D’Hotle there from some people we spent just an afternoon with in Mexico. His niece is married to their son so it was a very tenuous connection. Nonetheless, he welcomed us as graciously as any of the guests who were paying 4 figures to stay the night, so we lounged on the perfect sand, sipped fresh pineapple juice and strolled between the individual villas on this private island to admire the stunning views of the lagoon, which was turquoise if not a mirror that day. Bora Bora is definitely a top resort destination.
The fleet that left Mexico at the same time we did all have their visas expiring now too so it has been a sort of reunion. This will be my last internet access until Tonga later in the month, so our reports in future will be the brief ones sent by radio and I will not be able to receive your comments or email unless you send them via sailmail. We hope to leave in the morning, heading to Suwarrow, 690 miles to the northeast.

Comments
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Make/Model: Woollacott 45
Hailing Port: Devonport, New Zealand
About: Blue Moon is on her way to New Zealand from Mexico, after 16 years of looping around the Pacific.
Extra: See more: http://www.bluemoonsailing.blogspot.com/

Port: Devonport, New Zealand