Blue Snail Travel

Vessel Name: BLUE SNAIL
Vessel Make/Model: Corbin 39 CC
Hailing Port: Vancouver
Crew: Frank & Linda
About:
Frank is from Vancouver, B.C. and Linda is from Washington. They left their home in Maryland in late 2010, to start cruising. They traveled South through the ICW to Florida and on to Mexico before transiting the Panama Canal. [...]
Extra: Frank and Linda enjoy traveling with their shipmate Moshe, a domestic short hair cat.
04 May 2016
20 April 2016
21 October 2015
22 June 2015
04 November 2014
04 September 2014 | San Carlos
20 June 2014
06 May 2014
17 March 2014
27 December 2013
05 November 2013
01 October 2013
13 September 2013
16 August 2013
10 July 2013 | 27 56.5
Recent Blog Posts
04 May 2016

Blue snail 2 location

Hello everyone,

21 October 2015

Blue snail II October 2015

It is a out time for a new blog post! I am blaming the delay on the computer. The truth!

22 June 2015

Los Alamos

June 2015

02 April 2015

San Carlos Blue Snail Two

April 2015

04 November 2014

San Carlos Nov 2014

Blue Snail is still in San Carlos. In September, we were fortunate to have the boat here as the remnants of Hurricane Odile passed by, about 75 miles away. This was the storm that was devastating to Cabo San Lucas and La Paz on the Baja side of Mexico. Winds here in San Carlos were about 35-45 for [...]

Copper Canyon Mexico

01 October 2013
Blue Snail Blog 10/1/2013 Copper Canyon, Mexico

How long does it take to go to the Copper Canyon? Apparently, several years. Frank has been attempting to make that trip for almost 20 and he/we finally made it.

We left San Carlos on the 17th of September and traveled by bus to Los Mochis. "Manuel" the big tropical storm got a little in the way of our early plans so we had to do a little alternate transportation planning. The wonderful Chepe Train than runs through the Copper Canyon, did not run for 3 days because of 2 converging storms crossing the mountains.

Our trip into the Canyon started in El Fuerte, a charming old town that was clean and friendly. We stayed at an old hacienda that was comfortable and charming and very reasonable. The Chepe Train was delayed one more day for the storms to pass, so spent two days in El Fuerte.

From there we traveled for 6 hours on the Chepe train to the town of Creel. We had heard many good things about this train and were not disappointed. The seats are wide and comfortable, lots of big windows for good visibility, very competent and friendly staff and good food. The train ride was one of the most interesting and exciting parts of the entire trip. The scenery was just incredible. Also, the train does not exceed 60 km so there was plenty of time to see all of the countryside.

In Creel we stayed at a very basic motel that offered day tours as well. Went to see rock formations in the shapes of mushrooms and frogs and visited the really gorgeous Cusarare waterfalls and the beautiful lake of Aouroke (sp). We encountered many of the shy and reserved Tarahumara Indian people. They make and sell many kinds of jewelry, baskets and other gifts. These people are the ones that are internationally known for their running abilities and have been known to run 100 km miles without stopping! We saw many of these people in Creel and all through the Canyon, the women all dressed in colorful native clothes.

From Creel, we traveled by bus to the small town of Bahuichivo, one of the Chepe train stops. Have to say, some of the roads were incredibly rugged with deep ruts that were more like canyons by themselves. A good many of the roads are now paved. We enjoyed these interesting rides as much as the destination. On the road we passed many donkeys walking by themselves and several times there were very small "burritos" with looking very much like stuffed animals. Our van had to stop in the road to wait out a goat confrontation with the two ramming each other. Very funny! We arrived in the small town of Cerocahui in the afternoon and checked in with the Hotel/Restaurant Jade, a small place right on the town square. We cannot say enough about our stay there. It is owned by Alberto and Francia and they took very good care of us. Alberto operates most of the tours from Ceracahui and is an excellent tour guide. The small hotel restaurant was very good also, offering good home-cooked meals at very reasonable cost. Our daily question was "what's' for dinner today?"....in Spanish of course!

While in Ceracahui, we took the all day tour to the town of Urique, which is at the bottom of the deepest canyon and almost 6000 feet down. The very narrow and winding road to the bottom offered the most incredible and breathtaking views. Think some people might be intimidated at the ride and I found I could not look down sometimes. No guardrails, no paved road and very narrow going at times. At the bottom of the Canyon found the nice little town of Urique and had a nice lunch there before heading back up the winding road. We were traveling with a family from Chihuahua who were extremely nice and always saying "Ah Chihuahua!".

After 3 days we departed Ceracahui and boarded the Chepe train in Bahuichivo for Los Mochis. In about 6 hours we arrived at the hotel where we had started. We were home again late the next afternoon, after 10 great days in the mountains. Moshe had been cared for on Blue Snail by a neighboring cruiser so she was just fine.

Blue Snail will be hauled out to the work yard on October 3rd. We hope to get the projects completed and be on our way south again before Thanksgiving. We'll see how that works out.
Comments

About & Links