Sailing with Bob and Joni

Port: Channel Islands Marina
20 September 2012
18 September 2012
18 September 2012
18 September 2012
18 September 2012
15 September 2012
14 September 2012 | San Simeon
12 September 2012
12 September 2012
12 September 2012
10 September 2012 | Oxnard/Santabarbara
08 September 2012 | Channel Islands Marina
27 August 2012 | Channel Islands

Day three

12 September 2012
The big day,

We made it!

I didn't sleep much last night and we were on our way at 3:30 in the dark with no moon. We followed the same GPS track back out of Cojo  that we used to enter but I still had to go up on the bow to watch for any kelp using a head lamp.  Once out of Cojo and clear of any obstructions we headed out to go around Point Conception. 

Sailing in the dark is real spooky. You can't see $&@!  

The weather was as expected with wind at 16 and waves at 3-6 and we could see the lighthouse.  We sailed out to about 3 miles and off in the distance was what looked like a big ship all lite up and glowing in the fog that was trying to come in.  It didn't move!  Turned out to be a oil platform.  

Waves got bigger and the wind was at 20, right on the nose and SeaYa handled it with no problems.   One wave crashed over the bow but we stayed dry behind the big dogger.  After rounding the point we set course to Port San Luis and went for a bumpy ride.

The roller coaster ride lasted all the way to Port San Luis and we picked up a mooring ball in port and were done for the day at 12:30 noon.  9 hours.

In route, we noticed that the generator was not working and we were running on just battery power.  We have 4 golf cart batteries and one start battery so we had lots of power to run all the lights but it still was a concern.  After import we discovered that a wire had broken off the back of the generator and fixed it.

All in all, it was a very exciting day.  I was in bed at 5pm.

Tomorrow we sail to Morro Bay.
Comments
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Make/Model: 1988 MacGregor 26D
Hailing Port: Channel Islands Marina

Port: Channel Islands Marina