s/v A Wind & A Prayer -

05 September 2015
05 September 2015
31 August 2015
28 August 2015
27 August 2015 | Barbara
25 August 2015
23 August 2015
23 August 2015
23 August 2015
17 August 2015
16 August 2015
15 August 2015
15 August 2015
15 August 2015
10 August 2015
10 August 2015

8-22 Harrisville

23 August 2015
Barbara
8-22 Harrisville: We pulled out of Alpena at 9 and into Harrrisville at 2:30. We were head into South winds all day and in to a two foot swell that rocked the boat all day. We were rolly polly all day, but not bow bashing. We were not able to deploy either sail, so it was a motor day for sure. Harrisville is a small marina at a small town. We took a walk after dinner and found all the hot spots. There was a grocery store, two or three restaurants, a coffee shop, two churches and a park. It's the kind of town where the merchants leave their wares out on the sidewalk overnight. The marina is very clean and well kept. We talked with some other boaters, the big discussion is whether or not to travel tomorrow. The winds are to be 10-20 out of the south. That means a six hour bow bashing day of motoring into heavy waves. The next two days are to be 10-20 winds out of the West. That means we could get some sail up, and not be bow bashing, but still some rough days sailing. We could possibly be weathered in for three days. We have decided to stay put tomorrow and see what Monday brings.

8-23 Weathered in: We woke up at 7 to a very calm lake and very light winds. Several of the boats had left the docks early to get a good start. We kicked ourselves for staying in the harbor for a second day. Well we kicked ourselves until the afternoon when boats started pulling in from their day's journey. While the winds were under 15 here, they were raging in Tawas, our next destination. One boat reported 35kn. winds. Yes indeedy, I was glad we had stayed put. We had a nice day here. We went to church and roamed the town. I had coffee and Bob had ice cream. I managed to hit a few boutiques. There is a nice boater's lounge here and I spent some time in the lounge this afternoon cross stitching. We were told of a good hamburger joint and decided to go out to dinner. We talked another couple into joining us and had a good dinner and great conversation. Bob and Connie (ODYSSEY) sail out Ford Yacht Club on Lake Erie, near the Detroit River. The pic today is of one of the boats that came in this afternoon. Their jib was ripped to pieces in the high winds.

8-24 Weathered again: I woke at 5 this morning, checked the weather and rolled over and went back to sleep. It was more of the same. Today the winds were out of the west, up to 22 kn., with waves 3-5 feet and temps in the high 60’s. I just couldn’t face it. When Bob woke up I asked to stay another day. Bob acquiesced and we planned one more day at Harrisville. We had a big breakfast then went to the grocery store. Later we got bicycles and found a state park with bike trails. We walked down the waterfront and in the afternoon we had BIG naps, mine was three hours long. I made pizza for dinner and we played cribbage in the evening.
Comments
Vessel Name: A Wind & A Prayer
Vessel Make/Model: 376 Hunter
Hailing Port: Medina, Ohio
Crew: Bob & Barbara Steinmetz

s/v A Wind & A Prayer -

Who: Bob & Barbara Steinmetz
Port: Medina, Ohio