Bob's gap years

Vessel Name: Ben More
15 August 2022 | L’Aber Wrach
02 August 2022 | Port Launay
15 July 2022 | Port Launay
01 July 2022 | Camaret
15 June 2022 | Duarnanez
11 June 2021 | Topsham
18 May 2021 | Still Horta
13 May 2021 | Horta
07 May 2021 | Peter’s Bar
29 April 2021 | PICO
23 April 2021 | HORTA
07 April 2021 | Quinta do Loorde
30 March 2021 | Las Palmas
23 March 2021 | Arguineguin
16 March 2021 | Bar Ambigue (again)
10 March 2021 | Marina Gomera
02 March 2021 | Bar Ambigue
24 February 2021 | Cave Cuba
16 February 2021 | SUNNY COCKPIT
10 February 2021 | CAFE CUBA
Recent Blog Posts
15 August 2022 | L’Aber Wrach

SHIPS THAT PASS

15/08/2022

02 August 2022 | Port Launay

PICKLED WALNUTS

01/08/2022

15 July 2022 | Port Launay

FOUL EXPERIENCE

15/07/2022

01 July 2022 | Camaret

SUBMARINES

01/07/2022

15 June 2022 | Duarnanez

WHISKY GALORE

15/06/2022

11 June 2021 | Topsham

HOME RUN

11/06/2021

HARD WORK

01 October 2020
Robert Coates
2 weeks now. Crazy time. Was here in July to arrange much work to be done while back in the uk and on return in Sept. Engine, sail repairs, bike maintenance, electrician, parts for domestic water pressure system etc. Well,total waste of time. Nothing ready and been hugely preoccupied catching up. Sadly missing out on what I had hoped to be a touristy 2 weeks. But heyho, still a great place to be, lovely people (so sorry, will do tomorrow, nice to see you again etc) Upside has been some lovely days getting from Faro to Lagos.
Memorable and interesting moments have been -
At anchor off Ilha de Culatra, near Faro, 18th Sept, the day after launch, had a day of gale force winds (maxing at 34 knots at times) with thunder storms, slashing rain, lightning and minimal visibility. Too windy and rough to even contemplate launching the dinghy and trying out the new outboard and not a time to even want to leave the boat. Quite scary when pitching and tossing thinking of a little chain holding the boat safe. At on point a Portugese boat went gracefully (!) past me going backwards dragging his anchor. As one does, we gave each other a cheery wave as he headed into the gloom. Actually a pretty serious situation. He avoided collision with other boats, managed to get his anchor to hold and normal life resumed. The next day was beautiful, calm, sunny and for me total chill.
20th Sept motored to Portimao, had 4 nights on the Marina doing ‘winter’ routine maintenance on the boat, testing the new outboard and wow, not use to the power of modern engines ( the previous one was 27 years old and had done brilliant service) Silly game of surfing down the wash of tourist boats. Also used it to go to the lovely beach and have a swim. Bliss. Had an interesting day when wondering why three very nice African ladies were changing their clothes on the dockside. Well, they had an online fashion business (interestingly most outfits bought from the uk) and were using the yachts as a backdrop - very classy. They were very keen to use a yacht for pictures so spent a couple of hours on board taking photos and using the cabin to change outfits. Difficult to know where to look at times.
Had a final night anchored off the Portimao beach then headed for Alvor, a lovely old fishing town (although now touristy, but presently missing the tourists). The entrance is complex and full of sandbanks that constantly shift. The buoys had not been replaced with this shifting and touched bottom several times trying to stay in the channel. Eventually helped by a local fisherman who happily told me three yachts had dried out on the banks in the last 2 weeks. Worth the trouble, had 2 lovely nights anchored and exploring the town.
Then to Lagos and full on catchup with boatworks and getting the pre arranged help from the local yard, Sopromar. Now provisioning for Saturday’s departure with Peter and Thomas for Gran Canaria. 650 miles into the Atlantic, 4-5 days at sea. Wait for the next thrilling instalment!!
Take care everyone and stay safe and well.
Rob
Picture of Ben More being launched
Comments

About & Links