Bob's gap years

Vessel Name: Ben More
15 August 2022 | L’Aber Wrach
02 August 2022 | Port Launay
15 July 2022 | Port Launay
01 July 2022 | Camaret
15 June 2022 | Duarnanez
11 June 2021 | Topsham
18 May 2021 | Still Horta
13 May 2021 | Horta
07 May 2021 | Peter’s Bar
29 April 2021 | PICO
23 April 2021 | HORTA
07 April 2021 | Quinta do Loorde
30 March 2021 | Las Palmas
23 March 2021 | Arguineguin
16 March 2021 | Bar Ambigue (again)
10 March 2021 | Marina Gomera
02 March 2021 | Bar Ambigue
24 February 2021 | Cave Cuba
16 February 2021 | SUNNY COCKPIT
10 February 2021 | CAFE CUBA
Recent Blog Posts
15 August 2022 | L’Aber Wrach

SHIPS THAT PASS

15/08/2022

02 August 2022 | Port Launay

PICKLED WALNUTS

01/08/2022

15 July 2022 | Port Launay

FOUL EXPERIENCE

15/07/2022

01 July 2022 | Camaret

SUBMARINES

01/07/2022

15 June 2022 | Duarnanez

WHISKY GALORE

15/06/2022

11 June 2021 | Topsham

HOME RUN

11/06/2021

LAUNDRY TRAUMA

19 January 2021 | Ben More
Robert Coates
19/01/2021

It seems the world changes every day. The UK seems to be getting some stability but with huge sacrifice. I worry if other countries are going to follow the same pattern. My new windvane cannot be delivered for a month due to European made parts not getting through to the UK. There is now a travel ban to Lanzarote and Gran Canaria. Plans for return still going ahead as before and still hopeful.
Had a great day with Maria Italy. She was anchored off Santiago beach so hired a car, picked her up off the beach at 8am, and drove into the mountains for a 13km walk like I’ve never done before. First it was straight up the mountain and very slow. The trails, however small, have been impressively well made. Often there is very little or no soil but because of the dangers of falling or slipping the rock base has been carefully checked so there is virtually nothing loose to cause an accident. Walking is the major attraction of the island and a huge source of income. Eventually we reached easier paths in the heavily wooded, higher parts but sadly the cloud had come in and when we reached the highest point of the island at 1,487 metres (about 5000 feet + we could see absolutely nothing of the views which extend to El Hierro and G Canaria. It was damp and cold. We took a shorter route back which I will never forget along the top of a spectacular deep valley. The path was about the width of a paving slab or less at the edge of as sheer a drop as I would not want to be as close to again. We both felt uneasy and took it very slow. It was not well used and spiky shrubs often covered the path. The picture today is where the path opened up to a virtual highway with a relieved Maria showing her first smile for a while. After a snack back in civilisation we went to see Caroline and Ali for cup of tea. Unfortunately when Maria set off in her dinghy back to her boat she fell out of it in the shallows for a complete dunking. Yes, I know how to give a woman a good time.
English lessons continue but it is clear that some immigrants can barely read or write. I met Emma, a French woman who with two others is responsible for their teaching of Spanish and other things and I was hugely relieved to find that my concerns were mirrored. Teaching has been adapted to suit. We are having a meeting with boss man shortly to point out our concerns and suggest a more coordinated approach. The immigrants, however, show progress despite my efforts! It is clear that politics play a part. Having taken on these guys the Red Cross has been left to their own devices without the necessary specific skills.
The only other dramas this week were loading the wash machine without the soap in and having a 40 minute expensive rinse and losing part of a tooth. But the weather is currently lovely and have had a good meal out (goat meat) and been for a couple of swims. (You are not alone Robin)
Stay safe everyone and let’s hope the small light at the end of the tunnel stays bright.
Robert
Comments

About & Links