Bob's gap years

Vessel Name: Ben More
15 August 2022 | L’Aber Wrach
02 August 2022 | Port Launay
15 July 2022 | Port Launay
01 July 2022 | Camaret
15 June 2022 | Duarnanez
11 June 2021 | Topsham
18 May 2021 | Still Horta
13 May 2021 | Horta
07 May 2021 | Peter’s Bar
29 April 2021 | PICO
23 April 2021 | HORTA
07 April 2021 | Quinta do Loorde
30 March 2021 | Las Palmas
23 March 2021 | Arguineguin
16 March 2021 | Bar Ambigue (again)
10 March 2021 | Marina Gomera
02 March 2021 | Bar Ambigue
24 February 2021 | Cave Cuba
16 February 2021 | SUNNY COCKPIT
10 February 2021 | CAFE CUBA
Recent Blog Posts
15 August 2022 | L’Aber Wrach

SHIPS THAT PASS

15/08/2022

02 August 2022 | Port Launay

PICKLED WALNUTS

01/08/2022

15 July 2022 | Port Launay

FOUL EXPERIENCE

15/07/2022

01 July 2022 | Camaret

SUBMARINES

01/07/2022

15 June 2022 | Duarnanez

WHISKY GALORE

15/06/2022

11 June 2021 | Topsham

HOME RUN

11/06/2021

NO DRAMAS

16 February 2021 | SUNNY COCKPIT
Robert Coates
15/02/2021

Marina life is fascinating. Yachts in La Gomera tend to be larger than in Channel ports as the island is a staging post for the exotic Caribbean islands and generally the longer the sailing distance the bigger the boat. Also they have already travelled considerable distances to get here having suffered their own problems, joys and experiences which are commonly shared between all of us. Presently there are boats here from Belgium, Holland, Germany, France, Spain (surprise) Italy, Austria (!!) and of course the UK (I’m the only one). Many other nationalities have been here during my time. It is a truly international environment where politics may be discussed but everyone is equal and equally respected. Hearing current news stories as reported in different countries is fascinating. Walking down the pontoons you often hear a whole range of languages, however, the most common is English. Socialising between boats is common (last report - no active covid cases on the island) Whilst here I have enjoyed the company of 7 different nationalities on board. Boats need constant maintenance and there are always willing helpers if needed. There is also a romance to it. A foreign yacht may be here for a while then you wave to them on departure as they sat off across the Atlantic and all the excitement that that entails. Friends are quickly made before leaving for another adventure and sailing out of your life.There are many boats here planning to get to the Azores about the same time as me for a return to Northern Europe, all facing similar restrictions on travel and crew access as me. No doubt I will cross tracks with some again.

The good news is that my 19 metres of windgen cables have arrived which I hope to have installed soon and the generator itself is being shipped out from the UK tomorrow. The cables were in customs in Tenerife for 4 days before release and entailed huge amounts of paperwork (all in Spanish). I got help with this and hope things will be smoother next time. Hoping to have left Gomera by now I’m revising the homeward voyage, and going for return by the 12/05-birthday at sea. I now have a combination of Portugese, Italian, English and 2 Dutch reserves as crew to get to the Azores, covid permitting! My new date for leaving Gomera is about the 20/03.
The bad news this week is that my dentist appointment was moved forward to the 24/02.

Had a great cycle up a barranco (valley) with Dan. A relatively gentle ascent. you’ve got to be nuts to go for the real hills (unless your name’s Ken) Found a delightful small bar/restaurant that always serves some form of curry. Amazing. Going back there this week some time. Haven’t had one since in the UK.

Much more positive news from back home. My jabs are going to be late. Less cold too. I hear it’s nearly tropical at the moment. Here, presently we have a Calima, a weather system from the Sahara. The wind is more from the south and, dare I say it, the temperature is in the higher 20’s.

So, no traumas, dramas or accidents this week. What is happening to me? Try not to worry. However, I do have a problem with my hair. Thought of booking an appointment with my personal stylist Kate but it’s too far for her to come so am having to go local.
In keeping with the marina life stuff, a picture of it and showing the shark beach!

Really, really encouraging news from back home. Live in hope.
With good wishes, hugs as appropriate and the joys of spring to come
Rob
Comments

About & Links