Bob's gap years

Vessel Name: Ben More
15 August 2022 | L’Aber Wrach
02 August 2022 | Port Launay
15 July 2022 | Port Launay
01 July 2022 | Camaret
15 June 2022 | Duarnanez
11 June 2021 | Topsham
18 May 2021 | Still Horta
13 May 2021 | Horta
07 May 2021 | Peter’s Bar
29 April 2021 | PICO
23 April 2021 | HORTA
07 April 2021 | Quinta do Loorde
30 March 2021 | Las Palmas
23 March 2021 | Arguineguin
16 March 2021 | Bar Ambigue (again)
10 March 2021 | Marina Gomera
02 March 2021 | Bar Ambigue
24 February 2021 | Cave Cuba
16 February 2021 | SUNNY COCKPIT
10 February 2021 | CAFE CUBA
Recent Blog Posts
15 August 2022 | L’Aber Wrach

SHIPS THAT PASS

15/08/2022

02 August 2022 | Port Launay

PICKLED WALNUTS

01/08/2022

15 July 2022 | Port Launay

FOUL EXPERIENCE

15/07/2022

01 July 2022 | Camaret

SUBMARINES

01/07/2022

15 June 2022 | Duarnanez

WHISKY GALORE

15/06/2022

11 June 2021 | Topsham

HOME RUN

11/06/2021

CULTURE!

24 February 2021 | Cave Cuba
Robert Coates
22/02/2021


I have never been described as a man of culture (quite wrongly) so here is a bit of history culture. Today’s picture is of Chris (looks like he forgot to put his trousers on and definitely, like me, needs a haircut) He’s the bloke that discovered the Americas a number of years ago. Actually, the Chinese had mapped most of the world over 70 years before Chris. Did you know that?

Ok enough culture news this week. There’s quite a lot been happening so be patient.
English lessons with the migrants have stopped. They have been threatened, perhaps, with deportation and are quite distraught. It gives me a lot of extra time which is welcome. However, having only known of them through the media up to now it truly is another matter to have got to know them personally. They’re great guys, human beings with aspirations and smile and laugh the same as anyone. It’s not quite the same as the Med or E Channel. They are dumped from a ship off the islands and left. If the winds are wrong they are blown south, missing the Canaries to a fate in the open Atlantic and no will ever know how many have suffered thus. I really find it very sad. Curses to the abominable people that exploit others like this.

My windgen creeps closer, it’s now in Spain. Cycled to a lovely and remote restaurant, that served a gamba masala curry. (normally like stronger but over a year without you’re not fussy) Had arranged to meet Dan and Emily who walked down from a night camping in the mountains. I asked the cook to do me an extra big one for an agreed sum. It was just utterly heavenly and so was the dessert. Unfortunately it was raining a bit for the return trip so I sadly left D & E to walk the 4 km back and shot off on my bike.
Accepted an invite to go fishing (not one of the sport boats but a lovely old timber one) After about 3/4 hour, wow, one rod bent at right angles but before the guy could get to the rod (they were nattering away too much and not concentrating) the line
ran out and snapped. Poor fish. They thought it was probably a bonito. It was a lovely afternoon though as we kept very close to the cliff base and rocks.

Problems are coming. Technically I have to leave the EU after 90 days, the 31st March. Am trying for temporary island residence extension but need a shore based address. It’s not impossible. Otherwise I need a special visa. Not easy. Either way by the time I reach the Portugese islands I’m in the wrong. The Schengen rules apply with possible serious consequences. Have been advised to request stopover facilities in the Azores in advance, probably through the consulate. The whole problem is Covid. It is simply not possible for crew to join me there ( as at present) from the UK (illegal) until at least the middle of May. I cannot sail the boat single handed, it is simply too much and potentially dangerous. Another possibility is to fly back before the end of March, wait until the end of July when I could then have another 30 days in the EU, to get the boat back. This then means I would have to leave the boat here outside the boats time limit in the islands of 6 months with official permission. Interesting!!! I’m still determined, though, to make the most of the good things here and there are plenty to enjoy.

Life isn’t dull. Good to hear you have milder weather back home.
Take care of yourselves
Roberto
Comments

About & Links